Quantum of the Seas not to be based year round at Cape Liberty???

We just got back from a Mediterranean cruise aboard the Serenade of the Seas (writing the review now) and while aboard, Quantum bookings opened for us Diamond Plus members. Of course we trotted down to the Future Cruise desk to book for May 2015, but alas, the bookings were only through April 2015 (why is there always something like this? :rolleyes:).

So, we picked up an open booking (we always do anyway) and told the rep there that we'd just apply it for a Cape Liberty Quantum sailing in May 2015 when they open up. He shook his head no, and said that they were hearing that Quantum will not be sailing out of Cape Liberty after April 2015. What?!? I thought this was explicit in the announcements last month!

This really took the wind outta our sails as we were looking forward to having a new regal lady in our nearby home port. So now I'm wondering if Quantum is just doing a show-off-the-new ship series of winter 2014 to spring 2015 sailings ala Celebrity Silhouette back in 2012? Bummer...

I hope all this turns out to be just some misinformation floating about. If Quantum does "leave" in May 2015, she will no doubt be going to Europe. Ugh.

Well, we also purchased a NCC with the intention of applying it towards a summer 2015 cruise on Quantum from NJ, and the future cruise consultant onboard Jewel last week gave us different info than you received. He said Quantum is replacing Explorer full-time, and that those bookings will open up this fall.

Maybe it will be replaced with the new Anthem of the seas. It would be nice if every new ship debuted in NYC

I love this idea! :)

Edited by DonnaK

We just got back from a Mediterranean cruise aboard the Serenade of the Seas (writing the review now) and while aboard' date=' Quantum bookings opened for us Diamond Plus members. Of course we trotted down to the Future Cruise desk to book for May 2015, but alas, the bookings were only through April 2015 (why is there always something like this? :rolleyes:).

So, we picked up an open booking (we always do anyway) and told the rep there that we'd just apply it for a Cape Liberty Quantum sailing in May 2015 when they open up. He shook his head no, and said that they were hearing that Quantum will not be sailing out of Cape Liberty after April 2015. What?!? I thought this was explicit in the announcements last month!

This really took the wind outta our sails as we were looking forward to having a new regal lady in our nearby home port. So now I'm wondering if Quantum is just doing a show-off-the-new ship series of winter 2014 to spring 2015 sailings ala Celebrity Silhouette back in 2012? Bummer...

I hope all this turns out to be just some misinformation floating about. If Quantum does "leave" in May 2015, she will no doubt be going to Europe. Ugh.[/quote']

I'd be willing to bet that this is just one more case of a misinformed RCI representative demonstrating once again the need for RCI to be sure that its employees not voice opinions in place of facts. The winter months would seem to be the least opportune time to demonstrate the viability of sailing Quantum out of Bayonne. Beyond April, the Bermuda season will be opening and it is likely that itineraries will be adjusted to allow at least some cruises to that location interspersed with cruises to the Caribbean. I certainly wouldn't give a lot of credibility to such a clsim this far in advance of the ship's debut especially since the earliest official releases seemed to indicate that Quantum will be berthed in Bayonne, year-round. Obviously things are always subject to change, but given the past success of Explorer even through the winter months, I would expect that when additional sailing dates are revealed, Bayonne will continue to be the port of embarkation for Quantum

Unless the inaugural season sales fall flat on its face and the ship arrives DOA, I wouldn't count out a Quantum Class for all of 2015 in NJ just yet. The Northeast has been waiting for a new ship for years and it wouldn't surprise me if 2014-2015 isn't some kind of record setting year in bookings for the first Quantum Class. We have yet to see everything this ship has to offer either.

Misinformed, I doubt it, more than likely a sales pitch. No Q so you book another cruise, and then the Q also when you find out its really going to be there, after you have left the ship. Bingo, they get 2 cruises booked.

But in this case it did not work because the op bought a nc:D

LA's they are there for one thing, sell cruises.

Edited by setsail

I'm glad to hear that the rep on Serenade (actually two different reps on Serenade told us this separately) might be wrong about this. I was doing backwards somersaults when I heard the brand new lady would make Cape Liberty her permanent year-round home (I know this was in the press releases... I didn't dream this, right?)! I really want this to be chalked up to rumor mills churning on Serenade... but you know, it is troubling when it's the future cruise director and her staff telling people this information. Had it been a waiter or cabin steward, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. But it's the FC Director's job to know the correct info and disperse it rather than rumors.

Of course, it could have been just some tactics to push sales posted rather than open cruise bookings. Terrible technique if that's the case. (another member of our group also tried to buy a May 2015 Quantum sailing and was told to go ahead and buy one of the April 2015 sailings then shift it over to May 2015 when that becomes available... and by the same person that told me and him that Quantum might be leaving NJ after April 2015! Argh! :rolleyes:)

Misinformed, I doubt it, more than likely a sales pitch. No Q so you book another cruise, and then the Q also when you find out its really going to be there, after you have left the ship. Bingo, they get 2 cruises booked.

Ding ding ding. I think we have a winner

Edited by shaun07

Well, we also purchased a NCC with the intention of applying it towards a summer 2015 cruise on Quantum from NJ, and the future cruise consultant onboard Jewel last week gave us different info than you received. He said Quantum is replacing Explorer full-time, and that those bookings will open up this fall.

I love this idea! :)

Hey DonnaK,

We are looking at booking when the August 2015 schedule comes out. Let me know when you are thinking about sailing and maybe we can schedule the same week! :).

BTW, Nice Pic's from your last cruise. Nice to see the family is doing well!

After all the misinformation we received leading up to booking Quantum I wouldn't believe anything anyone from RCI said. That is a shame.

My guess is they pushed booking Quantum earlier than originally planned to get bookings from Breakaway. Just a guess because there has to be a reason why this was so disorganized and there were so many conflicting answers to basic questions.

I doubt there is anything going on and the itineraries for May 2015 season will be released in August (or whenever) and Quantum will be in NJ.

The question is where will Anthem be doing it's debut in Spring 2015?

Sounds about right. It's the ol' "hurry up and book her while she's there!!!" ...when everyone realizes the chances of her leaving after April 2015 are quite slim.

Guest maddycat

When we were in Bermuda on the Explorer in April, the locals were talking about the pier at Kings Warf being expanded to accommodate the new RCI ship. So, even Bermuda is expecting the Quantum.

Hey DonnaK,

We are looking at booking when the August 2015 schedule comes out. Let me know when you are thinking about sailing and maybe we can schedule the same week! :).

Chazg, that would be great if we could sail together again!

Glad you saw my photos! It was a very nice cruise, but too port-intensive (exhausting) and too rainy (almost constantly for 5 days - our beach plans were totally washed out). We were off the ship more than we were on it, and really didn't have a chance to appreciate the ship or partake in entertainment and restful activities that we normally enjoy on a ship.

Edited by DonnaK

When we were in Bermuda on the Explorer in April, the locals were talking about the pier at Kings Warf being expanded to accommodate the new RCI ship. So, even Bermuda is expecting the Quantum.

The locals were talking about the new NCL boat Breakaway that made its first voyage there on May 15th.... Breakaway is 18 stories high and is the biggest ship to go to Bermuda. The pilings needed to be reinforced to accommodate such a large ship and large ships in the future.

I think you'll definitely see Quantum staying in NJ through mid-late 2015: probably should expect some New England color sailings also. http://www.******************.com/2013/05/07/portland-announces-quantum-seas-will-visit-2015

I would guess at least 2 full years. I am surprised that they have kept the Explorer there that long and not traded her out for a different Voyager Class ship. I say that because the reason they move the ships around is to give passengers the ability to see new shows and entertainment on board. It is cheaper to move the ship than it is to change the shows.

• 9 months later...
Hey DonnaK,

I'm also waiting for the August 2015 dates to come out. I'm planning on taking my wife for our 25th anniversary and giving her a little surprise with an on-board vow renewal ceremony

Sometimes I think that RCL is winging it. There's so much misinformation out there. I just found out on one of the Quantum thread that dining room reservations on the Q has opened up to select cruisers. We were told that restaurants reservations would open up on May 15. What a crappy way to run a business. As a shareholder, I'm thinking of withholding my vote for all candidates and especially Mr. Goldstein.

Sometimes I think that RCL is winging it. There's so much misinformation out there. I just found out on one of the Quantum thread that dining room reservations on the Q has opened up to select cruisers. We were told that restaurants reservations would open up on May 15. What a crappy way to run a business. As a shareholder, I'm thinking of withholding my vote for all candidates and especially Mr. Goldstein.

Call C&A D+ Desk and see if you've been preselected. The number is 1-800-526-9723 (Press "9" any time during greeting for D+ Desk)

Call C&A D+ Desk and see if you've been preselected. The number is 1-800-526-9723 (Press "9" any time during greeting for D+ Desk)

Will they take a call from a D member or should I call Corporate Relationship at 800 256-6649.