There IS a Royal Promenade

In the FAQ for today's "reveal" one of the questions was:

Q: Will there be a Royal Promenade?

A: Yes, another signature venue guest can expect on Quantum is the Royal Promenade. Details on this space will be revealed at a later date.

It's not clear from the deck plan (deck 6) if the 'Prom' extends the full length of the deck or less than half?

It looks like it culminates in a 'square' (a Royal Square) or has a 'square' half way along, as rumoured?

quantumofseas_deck6.gif?w=450&h=174

As suggested on Malcolm's blog, maybe the main dining room (or a large one, if there is not a 'main' one) is located on decks 3/4.

Maybe RCI are adopting an NCL approach to dining with multiple dining rooms?

quantumofseas_deck3.gif?w=450&h=158

We are still guessing!

Edited by London-Calling

I personally believe it to be the midship area on decks 4 and 5. There is tons of retail and there are steps up to another level.

Yes you could be right? So what is the space on deck 6 - just a big corridor?

Edited by London-Calling

As suggested on Malcolm's blog, maybe the main dining room (or a large one, if there is not a 'main' one) is located on decks 3/4.

quantumofseas_deck3.gif?w=450&h=158

The area highlighted in this picture on decks 3 and 4 is clearly going to be a 2-level high main dining room. There is basically no other spot on the deck plans where a MDR can be.

They've never said there would not be a Royal Promenade. They've been careful with their wording to always claim that there would be an equivelant venue but not a Royal Promenade in the sense that the term is used on the current ships. That is what there statement has always been so this just backs up there stance that she would have one while still not shedding any light on the design of it.

Looking at the deck plans it appears that deck 4 will be open with deck 5 as a mezzanine similar to the Oasis class promenade's design. Deck 3 also appears to have a few smaller areas that may be open to the deck 4 area. I'm talking about the area between the elevator lobbies where you can very clearly see the promenade style curved stairs signifying that the area is open.

It's not clear from the deck plan (deck 6) if the 'Prom' extends the full length of the deck or less than half?

It looks like it culminates in a 'square' (a Royal Square) or has a 'square' half way along, as rumoured?

quantumofseas_deck6.gif?w=450&h=174

You are looking in the wrong spot. I don't believe deck 6 will have anything resembling the traditional Royal Promenade. The area you've highlighted in red is likely to be used somewhat for adding height to the main deck 5 walkway below it, but some of that red area also has to be used for crew-only service areas to service all of those staterooms. In addition, the square area next to the elevators is at least partially there for the main engine exhaust pipes going up to the main smokestacks.

Adam Goldstein has already said"

“there isn’t the Royal Promenade in the way it’s been known,” he said, though he added there would be “a similar environment.”

I believe what will be called the Royal Promenade will just be the meandering walkways on decks 4 and 5 that are lined with shops, entertainment venues, bars, guest services, specialty restaurants, etc.

On deck 5 the main walkway runs from the theater at the front of the ship all the way to two70 in the rear of the ship. The walkway on deck 4 runs from the theater at the front to the entrance of the MDR just past mid-ship. This will be the "similar environment" that Goldstein references, but don't expect the traditional Royal Promenade that runs straight down the middle of the ship with straight sides going 4 decks high. These deck 4 and 5 "Royal Promenades" will be open to each other in places, with the main one being the large atrium looking feature just forward of the Next Cruise and Shore Excursion area of the deck plans. You can see there is a large opening with a spiral staircase where the two main promenades will be connected.

Edited by UCF_Knight

The area highlighted in this picture on decks 3 and 4 is clearly going to be a 2-level high main dining room. There is basically no other spot on the deck plans where a MDR can be.

There is always empty spaces on deck plans of ships that we just don't realize is there. I believe this to be just part of the inner workings of the ship, where the crew can travel throughout the ship. Or it could be part of a laundry area for housekeeping or something of that nature. The fact that there is no other outline there and there is no 'More To Come' sign makes me think that it is nothing.

There is always empty spaces on deck plans of ships that we just don't realize is there. I believe this to be just part of the inner workings of the ship, where the crew can travel throughout the ship. Or it could be part of a laundry area for housekeeping or something of that nature. The fact that there is no other outline there and there is no 'More To Come' sign makes me think that it is nothing.

Did you even look at the picture I was referencing? I referenced "The area highlighted in this picture" which is the RED areas the OP highlighted on the deck plan for deck 4. I'm talking about these two huge, vaguely hour-glass shaped areas just aft of the aft of the mid-ship elevators on decks 3 and 4 which both have a "More to Come" sign on them. The ones that have a double curved staircase connecting them between levels. The ones that are clearly the 2 deck MDR.

The large blank areas aft of that on both decks are obviously for the kitchens and other crew areas.

Edited by UCF_Knight

I don't know, for decks 6, 7, and 8 all being crew areas and "nothing" just doesn't make sense. I'm still in the thinking that it may be open to down below (rp) with the hallways to the balconies open to below as well.

I don't know, for decks 6, 7, and 8 all being crew areas and "nothing" just doesn't make sense. I'm still in the thinking that it may be open to down below (rp) with the hallways to the balconies open to below as well.

The deck plans for the Solstice class ships are laid out identically and none of those are open. The Norwegian Breakaway class is also similar (though no where near as identical as Solstice) with openings in those areas that are not open on the real ship.

I was told that because the name "royal Promenade" was trademarked by the shipyard that built voyager, freedom and oasis class, RCCL cannot use that. There is no way that they will have a closed off ship: too much "revolt". They may be opting for the "waterfront" type of promenade, with at least views of ocean: maybe an "inside out" promenade?

Fun to speculate!

My sister and I have been looking at the deck plans for deck 7, and she wondered if the hallways for the outside cabins would be open to the area below. That would be great for when there were parades or performances in the Royal Promenade, because people could stand on the hallways above and watch what happened below.

My guess is there will be an indoor way to walk thru the shop area and maybe a yet unnamed(Royal Square?) area and cover a good part of the length of the ship indoors. I doubt if they will have an outdoor promenade since they went to the trouble of putting pools indoors in order to accommodate the cooler weather of the Northeast.

So I went to do a cruise search and clicked on "royal promenade" under onboard activities and it eliminated quantum of the seas. Only left oasis freedom and voyager class. So we may have an answer.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

So I went to do a cruise search and clicked on "royal promenade" under onboard activities and it eliminated quantum of the seas. Only left oasis freedom and voyager class. So we may have an answer.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

That just means it wasn't announced yet. According to the search Quantum of the Seas will not feature any specialty restaurants either.

As I mentioned earlier there, they will not "legally" be able to call it Royal Promenade, because that name is trademarked by company that built OA, FR and VOY classes. Will call it something else, like Royal Atrium? but I'm sure it will be there in some form or another. Deck plans show much too open, not like solstice class which only has centrum (BTW, Gambee's review of Breakaway had similar to solstice class centrum also but no "promenade" or atrium... that is and IMO will continue to be one of RCI's classic areas that will continue on Quantum. So fun to speculate!!:rolleyes: