There IS a Royal Promenade

For those interested the origin of the "Royal Promenade" started on a ferry, Sllja Serenade, built at Masa Yards, Turku, Finland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M/S_Silja_Serenade

Glad to see someone finally point this out. I have sailed many times on both the Serenade and her sister ship Symphony.

I was just on a Liberty TA and then did Navigator Eastern Med last month.

On NOS I had a PR and it was almost identical to the ones on the Silja ferry's.

As an added note of interest, Meyer Werft was then building the ferry to compete with these 2 game changers in the Baltic, the Viking Europa. Due to a currency devaluation in Sweden, Viking somehow lost this ship to Silja at the time.

While the now Silja Europa did not have a 'Promenade', it was built with an 'Arcade' that did feature the first McDonalds restaurant at sea. (Thus also the idea for Johnny Rockets) McDonalds operated from 1993 to 1996, when the ferry company took over the restaurant.

You can sea this on Deck 7 here: http://hhvferry.com/siljaeuropa_90s_dpx.html

Color Line also has ships with a promenade similar to the Royal Promenade.

The Color Fantasy and Color Magic were built in 2004 and 2007 at Aker in Turku, Finland along with the others mentioned with the 'Promenade'.

In the FAQ for today's "reveal" one of the questions was:

Q: Will there be a Royal Promenade?

A: Yes, another signature venue guest can expect on Quantum is the Royal Promenade. Details on this space will be revealed at a later date.

I was told that because the name "royal Promenade" was trademarked by the shipyard that built voyager, freedom and oasis class, RCCL cannot use that.

My guess is there will be an indoor way to walk thru the shop area and maybe a yet unnamed(Royal Square?) area and cover a good part of the length of the ship indoors.

So I went to do a cruise search and clicked on "royal promenade" under onboard activities and it eliminated quantum of the seas. Only left oasis freedom and voyager class. So we may have an answer.

I think you guys may be missing a key point from the OP.

"The Royal Promenade, first seen on Royal Caribbean's Voyager-Class in 1999, extends through the upper decks of the ships. This gives most upper level cabins a window, either to the port or starboard side or inwards to the promenade. This design was first used in the cruiseferry M/S Silja Serenade in 1990 and its twin ship, M/S Silja Symphony in 1991."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Freedom_of_the_Seas

Glad to see someone finally point this out. I have sailed many times on both the Serenade and her sister ship Symphony.

I was just on a Liberty TA and then did Navigator Eastern Med last month.

On NOS I had a PR and it was almost identical to the ones on the Silja ferry's.

As an added note of interest, Meyer Werft was then building the ferry to compete with these 2 game changers in the Baltic, the Viking Europa. Due to a currency devaluation in Sweden, Viking somehow lost this ship to Silja at the time.

While the now Silja Europa did not have a 'Promenade', it was built with an 'Arcade' that did feature the first McDonalds restaurant at sea. (Thus also the idea for Johnny Rockets) McDonalds operated from 1993 to 1996, when the ferry company took over the restaurant.

You can sea this on Deck 7 here: http://hhvferry.com/siljaeuropa_90s_dpx.html

Thanks for sharing as well.

The first reviews of the Royal Princess are starting to trickle in and the Princess faithful are foaming at the mouth about the tiny balconies, smallish cabins and the continued presence of the groping shower area curtains.

This new idea of skinny balconies doesn't go over well with me, especially with the price premium charged to get a sliding glass door.

Any advance ideas on the size of the QOS balconies?

This new idea of skinny balconies doesn't go over well with me, especially with the price premium charged to get a sliding glass door.

Any advance ideas on the size of the QOS balconies?

According to the Royal Caribbean brochure, Quantum of the Seas balconies are 55 sqft minimum. That is smaller than Freedom class (65 sqft minimum), but larger than Oasis class (47 sqft for Boardwalk, 50 sqft for Central Park, and 53 sqft for Oceanview).

The E1 balconies on QOS say they are a large 82 sqft. That would be good for people who don't mind a smaller interior space as long as they get a big balcony.

Edited by UCF_Knight

As I mentioned earlier there, they will not "legally" be able to call it Royal Promenade, because that name is trademarked by company that built OA, FR and VOY classes.

Where did you get this information?

If you do a trademark search on the USPTO website, there is no US trademark for Royal Promenade.

Also, it doesn't seem consistent with the OP.

According to the Royal Caribbean brochure, Quantum of the Seas balconies are 55 sqft minimum. That is smaller than Freedom class (65 sqft minimum), but larger than Oasis class (47 sqft for Boardwalk, 50 sqft for Central Park, and 53 sqft for Oceanview).

The E1 balconies on QOS say they are a large 82 sqft. That would be good for people who don't mind a smaller interior space as long as they get a big balcony.

Does anyone know the sq footage of NCL's balconies? I will pitch a fit if I discover that my D7

Balcony is as small as the photos I have seen of Breakaway.:eek:

Does anyone know the sq footage of NCL's balconies? I will pitch a fit if I discover that my D7

Balcony is as small as the photos I have seen of Breakaway.:eek:

Not sure what the actual measurements are, but I have noticed that most of the descriptions that are out there about various balcony state rooms say 226 sq ft. My understanding is that this number includes the balcony. So if you take the average balcony cabin on Quantum at about 198 sft and apply that to a Breakaway cabin as an example, the balcony would be 28 sft if I did the math right.

Where did you get this information?

If you do a trademark search on the USPTO website, there is no US trademark for Royal Promenade.

Also, it doesn't seem consistent with the OP.

It seems like they pulled this information from thin air, at least at this point. I can't find anything that, even vaguely, confirms this either.

Maybe the ship's captain's brother-in-law's sister's cousin on their mother's side's friend's uncle's girlfriend said it? If so, I'd believe it. ;)

It seems like they pulled this information from thin air, at least at this point. I can't find anything that, even vaguely, confirms this either.

Maybe the ship's captain's brother-in-law's sister's cousin on their mother's side's friend's uncle's girlfriend said it? If so, I'd believe it. ;)

Ya the smell of bs is strong with this one. Lol

Ya, check out the balcony size on Breakaway compared to our E2 (cheapest catagory on Independence).

dsc_0012.jpg?w=360&h=538

Breakaway

Honestly, there doesn't appear to be any possible way that I could sit on that deck without leaving the door open.

I'm 6'2" with long legs. Not happening.

A variation of the Royal Promenade would be great. For example, have a section with an open water view. Some element of Norwegian Breakaway's waterfront idea is well worth considering.

It is pretty obvious if you look at the deck plans what the situation is. MDR will be decks 3 and 4 aft of the elevators. Surprising it is only 2 decks high.

On decks 4 and 5 between the two elevator lobbies will be the Royal Promenade equivalent. It appears there will be a large two deck high atrium level, and a long two deck high retail area, going past the Music Hall to the theater, a la Solstice class.

I believe that on deck 5 aft of the elevators, will be a speciality dining 'district' which leads to Two70 at the rear of the ship. This will be the restaurants, with the more casual dining areas (Cafe Promenade, Sorrento's, Cupcake Cupboard etc.) situated in the 'main' bit.

The hourglass shaped areas on 6 and 7 will just be crew areas, with the square bit being the exhausts going up to the funnels. The reason I think this is that the shape doesn't correspond with any of the walkways below. It would be like sticking the box shaped promenade from Freedom on top of the promenade on Oasis. They are completely different shapes, and it wouldn't make sense.

I do not believe there will be any outdoor elements to the venues. The lifeboats are sat on deck 5, and the two bits port and starboard which are clear are outside the aft elevator lobby, so that rules out that area being used for any sort of venue.

Another point to note is the 'more to come' areas up top. On deck 14, chances are the one in the solarium will be the Park Cafe, the one next to the H2O Zone will be the Boardwalk Dog House, and the one in the Windjammer I can't say, it could be any dining venue really.

What intrigues me is the one just aft of the SeaPlex on deck 15...

Edited by littlesteelo

A variation of the Royal Promenade would be great. For example, have a section with an open water view. Some element of Norwegian Breakaway's waterfront idea is well worth considering.

But it will be useless in colder weather. I'm hoping for a variation of the RP that would be two decks high.

Ya, check out the balcony size on Breakaway compared to our E2 (cheapest catagory on Independence).

dsc_0012.jpg?w=360&h=538

Breakaway

20130108_183019.jpg

Independence with divider open.

The Breakaway looks more like a ledge then it does a balcony.:(

We told the Captain of the Mariner that RCI will be making a BIG mistake if they eliminate the Royal Promenade. that's the only reason why we are loyal to RCI's fleets w/promenades. If Celebrity would have a RP we'll switch in a heartbeat. We do like Celebrity but because of RP were sticking w/RCI.

We met a couple on our last cruise who will sailing on the maiden voyage of the Quantum and I already emailed them to let us know if there is a promonade on the Q.

We told the Captain of the Mariner that RCI will be making a BIG mistake if they eliminate the Royal Promenade. that's the only reason why we are loyal to RCI's fleets w/promenades. If Celebrity would have a RP we'll switch in a heartbeat. We do like Celebrity but because of RP were sticking w/RCI.

We met a couple on our last cruise who will sailing on the maiden voyage of the Quantum and I already emailed them to let us know if there is a promonade on the Q.

I thought the same thing until I sailed the Grandeur of the Seas with the new Centrum Wow vertical promenade concept. Easily as good if not better than a promenade. It's like a completely different ship with it.