Stroller for toddler and infant

maighdeanmhara

We'll be cruising with a 2 year old and an almost-7 month old. I'm trying to decide which type of stroller to bring. I've decided against our Chicco Double Stroller, but am undecided between just 2 cheap umbrella strollers or a Joovy Caboose (basically a Sit and Stand that is pretty close to the same size as your traditional travel system single stroller).

Any suggestions/advice is very much appreciated.

If one of you must take care of both kids alone, 2 strollers will be a pain! I'd go with a double of some sort! Both kids will need a stroller...lots of walking on a ship for a 2 year old...so just bring what works!!!

I would do sit & stand. But I disagree with above, last year mine were 2.5 & 15 momths & we only brought 1 stroller. 2 yr old never used it but she didnt at home either. Do you baby wear? A baby carrier could be another option for the infant :)

I do baby wear and will probably bring my Ergo.

The Joovy has a bench seat that you can buy an attachment for that turns it into a regular seat.

I'm leaning towards the Joovy Caboose, DH is leaning towards two umbrellas. My reasoning is that it would be a pain to have to cart two strollers. He thinks anything bigger than an umbrella stroller will be too big.

So, a regular travel system stroller would be doable? If so, I'm even more strongly in favor of the Joovy.

Yeah i think it would be fine. You may have to close and open it each time you go in your room depending on how wide the stroller and door frame are but thats not too bad. We brought a lightweight Chicco stroller and it was kinda tight getting through the door.

We always take 2 strollers when we travel so DH and one kiddo can do one thing, and I can take the other kid somewhere else when she needs a nap. We'll be taking a Baby Jogger City Mini and a Maclaren Triumph on our cruises. Even at 4, my son still can't walk for a long day out.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having this debate with my husband too except I have 2 umbrella strollers and a double side by side stroller. My 4 year old wont walk more than 30 min in the hot weather!! Both kids love to cruise in the side by side but seems like a hassle with its size. I really want to bring it though. I wish they had a check in for stroller area next to the exits.

The Phan Family

Cruising on Allure 9/1/13-9/7/13

I'm having this debate with my husband too except I have 2 umbrella strollers and a double side by side stroller. My 4 year old wont walk more than 30 min in the hot weather!! Both kids love to cruise in the side by side but seems like a hassle with its size. I really want to bring it though. I wish they had a check in for stroller area next to the exits.

The Phan Family

Cruising on Allure 9/1/13-9/7/13

A side by side will be more than a hassle on the ship. You'll have to collapse it to get in and out of the cabin and you must store it in your cabin, not in the corridor. Navigating the more confined areas of the ship will range from challenging to near impossible. The passageways aren't wide to begin with (4-1/2 to 5 feet), so when you add other passengers (including some in wheelchairs and scooters) and cabin steward with carts and other items, a side by side becomes almost a hazard. In fact, I'm pretty sure that you would not be able to get by a cabin steward's cart without turning the stroller sideways and carrying it. A stroller that wide certainly makes getting around difficult and frustrating for everyone.

Is a tandem stroller an option for you? Many parents use those onboard. Even though they can be a small challenge in some situations, they are much easier and quite doable.

beachchick

The one time I brought a side-by-side (when we did Europe and I wanted my sturdy Maclaren in port), I also brought a single tiny umbrella stroller to use on board where I'd only need a stroller for one of my kids.

Best,

Mia

I think it depends on who is traveling with you. I have twins and when I traveled with them I take two umbrella strollers since the double is tight on the ship. If it is just you and your husband I would take the double so you both don't have to push a kid all the time. Since I tend to go with several people having two strollers isn't a big deal. Like the other poster said take one stroller and do a carrier for the baby will free you up as well, but it all depends on how often the older child uses the stroller.

Your kids sound like they are very close in age, like mine are.

At 7 months the little one was getting a bit big to carry and sometimes too hot to wear, but for simplicity I opted for a Joovy Caboose and took the carrier as well.

This allowed us to carry a child each for short excursions; mom with infant & dad with 2yr old on shoulders and had them both in one Stroller when needed for longer trips.

The sit-stand stroller advantage is that is is no longer or wider than a regular stroller so you can basically go most places you normally could. You will give up a bit of maneuverability over quality single strollers but it you can't beat the convenience of one stroller with two kids. Spent an entire day at Disneyland, by myself with a 2 & 3 yr/old and no problems.

Hope this helps & have a great trip :)

Archived