Freedom of the Seas Review - 26 May - 2 June 2013

Hi All, DD & friends wanted me to write a review of our FOS cruise. Here it is, I hope it's helpful and let me know if you have any questions. Will try to answer as many as I can. Happy Cruising!

Freedom of the Seas – 26 May – 2 June 2013

25 May 2013 – A little background: I was traveling with my daughter who is 20 years old (Julie), her friend (Chloe) and her mom (Darline) for this cruise. We are Diamond plus C&A members and this was our friend’s first cruise. We had an early afternoon flight from Newark to Orlando. This was our first experience with JetBlue and really liked it. While standing in line to check in, we met a NY Giant Michael Cox. He had just been drafted and was absolutely the nicest young man ever. My daughter & her friend took a photo with him. By the time we got to Orlando, picked up our luggage, called Cocoa Beach Shuttle and got on board it was after 5pm. We were at our hotel Marriott Residence Inn by 6pm. I had Marriott points and enjoyed a free night’s stay. J Would highly recommend this hotel, it was clean, had a complimentary breakfast and so close to the pier area. I had some cruise friends in the area and they took us to ABC Liquors to buy our 2 bottles of wine that we could carry on board.

26 May 2013 - The hotel supplied van transportation to the pier (1.2 miles away) but we opted to grab a taxi because they weren’t shuttling people until noon time. We wanted to be on the ship as early as possible. We were at the pier by 11:30am and on the ship by noon time. Very quick and easy embarkation process, props to Port Canaveral! My daughter had no idea that I had booked a Grand Suite and still didn’t even after she got her gold seapass card. I finally couldn’t hold in my excitement any longer and told her as we were boarding. So much for waiting until we got to our cabin, lol. We had a quick lunch in the Windjammer along with the other 1000 people J and then headed to our respective cabins. We first stopped at our friend’s cabin on deck 8. I had them book a center hump cabin and they loved the location. We then went to see our first ever, GS on deck 10. Opening the door and seeing the GS for the first time was a wonderful experience. It was huge; we loved the bathroom and the extra-large balcony area. I will say I like the walk-in closet much better in the Junior Suites but other than that, love, love, love the GS and all its amenities!!! We spent the next few hours making spa appointments and exploring the ship. We had an informal Meet & Mingle with our CC group at 3pm. It was nice to finally put faces to all the names that we had been chatting with all these months. Sail away was around 4:30 and took some great photos of Kennedy Space Center.

We opted for MTD this cruise because early seating was too early, 5:30pm. We had a table for 4 and our wait staff, Batman and Robin was wonderful and very attentive. We had a standing reservation of 7:30pm every night. We saw the Marquee stage show that evening. It was montage of different famous Broadway plays with the RCI singers and dancers. It was good but not great, just my opinion. More on the shows during the week later. We were all exhausted that night went to bed before 11pm to get up early for our spa appointments.

Forgot to mention, my DD received a call in our cabin asking if we would like to have dinner at the Captain’s table the next night. My DD was so excited and couldn’t believe our luck. More on that tomorrow. Our Cruise Director was Richard Spacey and Assistant Cruise Director was Jamie. We had Richard as our CD on Explorer last May and he has become one of our favorite CDs ever. Two Make a Wish families were on our ship for the week and they held various auctions for galley tours, port announcements and I think a sports package to the highest bidders.

27 May 2013 (sea day) – My DD, her friend and her mom had early spa appointments. My hot stone massage wasn’t until 3:30pm. The sea day was bright and sunny but extremely windy with some passing showers. Majority of the lounge chairs were bungee corded down. I asked a pool attendant to unlock a lounger for me and sat near a very nice couple from St Louis. Eventually my DD and her friend joined me. The pool suite area was above the Sky Bar. I didn’t sit there due to the high winds plus it’s not a very nice area. I was disappointed in the suite area and made a comment on my review card that they change the area back to in front of the Sky Bar and along the tiered decks. This pool day was filled with the Men’s Belly flop contest. Always a great event and even better watching it on the large pool screen. I went to my hot stone massage and found out I had several knots in my calves and neck area. I was a bit bruised afterward but know free ;).

DD & I had to meet at the Champagne Bar for cocktails prior to dinner with the Captain. Once we got there we realized we weren’t having dinner with the Captain but with the Hotel Director. He was actually a wonderful personable man and we enjoyed meeting him. His wife was visiting for the month and joined us for dinner. Loved meeting you Suzanne! There were 3 couples and another mother/daughter that joined us. We had our own special menu and wines for dinner. They took a photo and gave us all a copy of the menu plus the photo of the table. We met a couple that had the Royal Suite and were hosting a cocktail party later in the week in their cabin. We received an invitation later in the week from them. More on that the day we went. Dinner was great and we made friends with a couple seated next to us, Eric and Colleen from Rochester, NY that would be our friends for the remainder of the cruise.

The show that night was Re-Voiced (I think that’s what they were called). It was an all-male group that didn’t use instruments and only their voices to make music. They were superb and not to be missed. We met them later in the week and took photos.

28 May 2013 (Labadee) – We were up early and off the ship to enjoy our Over the Water cabana in Labadee. The weather was a bright sunny absolutely gorgeous day. We had cabana OTW7. We floated on mats in the water majority of the day and chatted with our friends. The buffet was very yummy. A wonderful day had by all. We highly recommend the cabanas. This was our 3rd time with a cabana; we have had a beach, hilltop and now over the water. Once back on the ship, the girls had Flowrider lessons and did very well. The group was only 6 people with 2 instructors.

We opted to eat in the Windjammer because the girls had Flowrider lessons and missed our 7:30 dinner time. Tonight’s show was a magician/illusionist that was on X-Factor, sorry I’m terrible with names! He was great and the RCI singers/dancers also participated in his show. Afterward it was over to Studio B for Battle of the Sexes; men vs. women. My DD & Chloe were on the women’s team. They to perform various types of activities to earn points; example Chloe put on a huge T-shirt and the ladies had to blow up balloons to stuff into her shirt. Whichever team had the most balloons won that event. It was hilarious and lots of fun. The women ended up winning.

29 May 2013 (Falmouth, Jamaica) – We woke up to sunshine. We decided to try going to Braco Beach Resort an all-inclusive for the day. I had read about it on CC. I have to mention I am NOT a fan of Jamaica and if we ever stop there again, will just stay on the ship. We have been to Dunn River Falls and went to Bamboo Beach another time. We paid for transportation in the trip too. This was not through RCI. We had to walk outside of the cruise port to meet our driver in front of the Courthouse where he was waiting for us in an air conditioned van. The 10 minute walk was horrible with all the vendors harassing us to take their tours, horrible. Anyway, we climbed into the van and after a 30-35 minute drive we were at the resort. It was a very pretty resort although we found out later more for the locals then tourists. The price included use of the facilities (pool/beach), lunch and all drinks/alcohol. It was extremely windy on the beach and got cloudy after about 30 minutes there. It rained for majority of the afternoon. The food was ok, the drinks were served in very small cups and my DD and her friend were constantly being harassed by all the boys/men there. We will NOT ever go back. We called our driver and went back early to shop at the pier area. Again, I’m NOT a fan of Jamaica.

That night we ate in the dining room. The new menu has a different spice each night as its highlight and then the foods are centered on the spice. The food was ok some nights were better than other nights. We loved our wait staff and requested the same waiters every night we were there. Tonight’s show was Once Upon a Time, great great show. They took fairy tales and put up to date music to them. Definitely don’t miss this show. The Love & Marriage Show was later that night. I didn’t go, but DD and her friend did. I’ve seen it too many times to count. I needed a good night’s rest.

30 May 2013 (Grand Cayman) – We booked Stingray Swim through the ship. It started to lightly rain on our way to the small pier to catch our boat. We had a small boat run by 2 brothers. They were very nice and helpful. The skies opened up once everyone was at the Stingray sandbar. I stayed on the boat to take photos. It rained so hard it was hailing! Everyone including those of us who stayed on the boat got soaked. The brothers took several photos of the girls kissing, holding and feeding the stingrays. They made a CD of the photos for $30 (about 12 photos on the CD). Darline & I split the cost to share the photos. It was an early excursion and we were back at the pier area to shop and have lunch around 11am. It rained on/off all day. It was a waste of a day in port unfortunately. We had lunch at Hard Rock Café and stopped in Guy Harvey’s store for the girls to buy t-shirts. Guy Harvey was there and signed the girl’s shirts. Wondering who Guy Harvey is, so was I! Apparently he’s very popular among the college kids. He’s an awesome painter too. Look him up online.

Tonight was the Royal Suite cocktail party for Suite, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle C&A members. The suite was awesome. Apparently the gentleman, Zeke and his wife are Pinnacle members who have the suite cabin one week a month until October. You were greeted at the door by a waiter with champagne. He had a 3 piece band, hors d’oeuvres and open bar from 4-6pm. We were allowed to walk around the suite and take photos. It was pretty spectacular to see how other half lives, lol. Afterward we went to the Concierge for a few drinks and then had dinner in Portofino’s. The menu had changed since last our cruise last May and I really didn’t like the new menu. OK, I’m not a foodie by any means and all these sauces or fancy-smancy things really aren’t my thing. Ha-ha!

Tonight was the Quest, which we love. Our cruise-mates weren’t feeling that great and didn’t make the show. The Quest never disappoints and it didn’t this night either!

31 May 2013 (Cozumel) - A little overcast but sunny day. We were off the ship by 10:30am. We grabbed a taxi after working ourselves through the maze of stores near the pier. We booked Nachi Cocom All-Inclusive resort for the day online. Again not through RCI, I found it on CC. Thanks CC’ers! We went through a little rain storm on the way there. It was about a $20 taxi ride with tip for the four of us. We were greeted at the entrance by an attendant. They gave us sombreros to put on and took a photo. Darline bought the photos for us as a surprise. We had paid our balance at the front desk. It was $55 per person. It included use of the facilities; pool, Jacuzzi, beach, loungers, hut umbrella, all food and drinks. By far one of the best days on the cruise. J The pool was small and nice. The beach was clean and the ocean water beautiful. There were clean bathrooms also. We had a designated waiter for the day, Carlos. He got all our drinks; bottled water too and our food. We gave him a $10 tip up front and then another $5 for getting us the taxi at the end of the day. There was only cruise ship people there (RCI & Carnival). The food was wonderful. The guacamole was the best I have tasted, was definitely homemade. They only allow 100 people for the day. It was not crowded at all. The locals come to give you their “spiel” about renting jet skis, glass bottom boats, banana boating and massages but once you say no they NEVER bother you again. We rented towels ($5.00 each) to not have to drag them off the ship and also a float matt ($7.00), well worth it. It ended up being a gorgeous day without any additional rain in sight. We were there from about 11am-3:30pm. We informed Carlos when we wanted to leave and there was a taxi waiting at the entrance for us. We went back to the pier and shopped a little before getting back on the ship.

We were exhausted from the humidity and sun all day, so we went took our time getting ready for dinner. We ate in the Windjammer but cut our dinner short because the ship was rocking/rolling. Tonight was the ice show, Freedom on Ice. As always a great show and it always amazes me what the skaters can do in such a small space. Our cruise-mates loved the show. The 70s Parade was also that night. Always a lot of fun with the shooting the t-shirts and throwing glow in the dark rings out to the audience. Later on it was Silent Disco night in the Crypt. If you have never been to one, definitely stop by. Here is how it works: you are given a headset with 2 different channels that have entirely different songs. You are the only person that can hear that song you are tuned into. Very funny to see everyone dancing and singing to entirely different songs.

1 June 2013 (Sea day) – Another gorgeous day, no rain in sight. We sat up on deck watching the Sexiest Man contest and other activities as the ship glided along the quiet sea waters. Today we had to pack and get ready to leave our cruise vacation. I hate packing! We met our new cruise friends in the Concierge for farewell drinks and then headed to the MDR for dinner and to say goodbye to our waiters, Batman & Robin. The show was a production show with RCI singers/dancers, a comedian (very funny guy) and an aerial act.

Final thoughts: Loved our GS and will definitely have one again on one of our next cruises. Our cabin steward, Darell was by the far the best we have had in all our cruises. He couldn’t do enough for us. The Ultimate Coupon books are gone and all coupons are loaded onto your seapass cards now. A list of coupons is provided in your cabin. The Concierge was nice and our waiter, Troy entertained us every night with one of his many stories from his life. The RCI was all friendly, helpful and always had smiles on their faces. Freedom of the Seas is a well maintained ship.

Thanks, Annefran, for the wonderful narrative. Too bad you were rained out in Grand Cayman, but sounds like you had a wonderful time . . . and a Grand Suite to boot (think I would be spending a lot of time in there)!!!

I agree about Jamaica. Only there once, Ocho Rios, my late DH and I had decided to walk through the port and out to investigate the town. We, of course, didn't get very far. Couldn't even hear ourselves think, what with locals shouting at us - "shop here, come in here", etc., etc., etc. Gave up after only a block or two and right back inside the gates of the port for us. I'll be stopping in Falmouth this December and have no plans to leave the port area.

Thanks again for taking your time for this review.:D

Sounds like you had a great cruise. Freedom is my favorite ship. Also sorry you got rained out in Grand Cayman. We loved the stingrays. We went to Nachi Cocum for the first time this spring and we will definitely be going back. Great service and food. There were six boats in port the day we were there and we were glad to be going somewhere that limited the number of people. I agree about Falmouth. We enjoyed Ocho Rios but probably won't get off again in Falmouth. This will be my first summer in 3 years not going on Freedom and I am already having withdrawls. Oh well, looking forward to Jewel in just over a week!:)

Thank you for your wonderful review! That Residence Inn you stayed in, was that on Astronaut Boulevard?

We're booked on an FOS Easter September of 2014, so I will live vicariously through your review:)

Thank you for your wonderful review! That Residence Inn you stayed in, was that on Astronaut Boulevard?

We're booked on an FOS Easter September of 2014, so I will live vicariously through your review:)

Yes it was. It was right over the bridge and in a great location. It appeared to be a relatively new hotel. Very nice large rooms, wonderful free breakfast and I saw there was a place outside to sit at night near a firepit. Enjoy!

Can't believe you didn't mention your quiet next door neighbours and beach buddies at Cozumel! lol

Kev

Oh my bad, we had wonderful glorious neighbors that never ever made a peep! Miss you Kev!!! :D ;)

Richard Spacey the cruise director and Jamey, his asst. we're the best ever in 25 years.

Everything about this cruise was fantastic. The CC Sail Away was just ok. We met some nice people at the MnM and they joined in the Slot Pull that I arranged and that was fun.

The shows and the guests were great. The only show I found to be just ok, was was the movie projections and the dancers climbing up the movie wall.

The food was fabulous as they went high end on the new menu. What a great change.

All the staff were friendly and helpful. I only have one complaint is that they did not let me buy a drink pkg. for one even though my granddaughter was 19 and couldn't drink on the ship.

All the ports were fine except Labadee. The lounge chairs were old and sunken and you needed water shoes to even step in the water or you had to walk a 1/4 of a mile to the other side to swim. It wasn't as bad but you could really get cut up by the coral.

Our rooms were connected 7554-7556 and they were very spacious. There were three adults in one room and the beds were all comfortable. You do hear the wind in the other room if one opens the balcony door and also in the shower.

It was a fantastic cruise. The CC group was very sparse on this trip except for a few. I like it better when we see each other more and we have fun together.

Great cruise!

Thanks for this review. We are travelling the same itinerary on FOS next March and also have a GS booked on deck 10 (that interconnects with a D1 for our 2 young kids). We are first timers on RCI and can't wait!!!

You will love the GS with the connecting D1. You can open up the balcony dividers to your kids cabin to enjoy an even extra larger balcony. Enjoy!

It was a fantastic cruise. The CC group was very sparse on this trip except for a few. I like it better when we see each other more and we have fun together.

Great cruise!

Sorry I didn't get to meet you, Dale. I was traveling with 2 children and 7 other adults - only one of whom is a Cruise Critic. Seemed like I couldn't go anywhere on the ship without running into people in our group so there wasn't really a lot of time to meet new people. I did, however, see you granddaughters in the night club a few times. (I recognized them from their photos on our roll call.) They always looked like they were having fun!

Sorry I didn't get to meet you, Dale. I was traveling with 2 children and 7 other adults - only one of whom is a Cruise Critic. Seemed like I couldn't go anywhere on the ship without running into people in our group so there wasn't really a lot of time to meet new people. I did, however, see you granddaughters in the night club a few times. (I recognized them from their photos on our roll call.) They always looked like they were having fun!

Dave, you were just happy being with your group of friends and seeing me, Julie, Darline & Chloe every day. Julie really enjoyed the drinks you bought her too. You're such a bad influence!!! :cool:;)

Hi All,

I have a ton of photos and I will try to upload over the next few days some highlights from our cruise. I know visual is always a plus. Just need to figure out how to do that. :rolleyes: In the mean time, if you have any questions will be glad to answer for you with regard to the ship and the itinerary if you are visiting the same islands. I will answer the questions, not the people that are trying to highjack my thread. Go start your own review, you know who you are. :eek: :pLOL

I will answer the questions, not the people that are trying to highjack my thread. Go start your own review, you know who you are. :eek: :pLOL

I think I'll just keep hijacking this thread. I need a pirate emoticon.....

I think I'll just keep hijacking this thread. I need a pirate emoticon.....

Dave, were you guys ever in the Schooner Bar in the evenings? I thought i recognized you but wasn't sure. I saw Steve and Carrie several times. We ended up on the same excursion in Jamaica and same flights.

Hi All,

I have a ton of photos and I will try to upload over the next few days some highlights from our cruise. I know visual is always a plus. Just need to figure out how to do that. :rolleyes: In the mean time, if you have any questions will be glad to answer for you with regard to the ship and the itinerary if you are visiting the same islands. I will answer the questions, not the people that are trying to highjack my thread. Go start your own review, you know who you are. :eek: :pLOL

Anne, I enjoyed meeting you at the sky bar M&M and running into you several times during the cruise! You and other roll call members really helped me out a lot with planning for our cruise. It was an awesome week and I am ready to go back! :p

Anne, I enjoyed meeting you at the sky bar M&M and running into you several times during the cruise! You and other roll call members really helped me out a lot with planning for our cruise. It was an awesome week and I am ready to go back! :p

No problem Pam, enjoyed meeting you too. If you ever need any cruise assistance, contact me. Enjoy!

You mentioned that the coupons are no loaded on sea pass....so does that mean mine will be on my card and my DH's coupons on his? I sure hope not...lol

I normally use both of ours.

Unfortunately, that's how it works now. (With the exception of internet and telephone coupons - they still distribute those to your stateroom in paper format and you can apply them to either account.)

You mentioned that the coupons are no loaded on sea pass....so does that mean mine will be on my card and my DH's coupons on his? I sure hope not...lol

I normally use both of ours.

Unfortunately, that's how it works now. (With the exception of internet and telephone coupons - they still distribute those to your stateroom in paper format and you can apply them to either account.)

Dave is correct, unfortunately RCI added the coupons to individuals sea pass cards. I have to say it was easier not having to remember to bring coupons with me for spa visits etc.