Postponing A Cruise Due To Family Illness

holidaylover10

We're currently in a similar situation. My wife has become ill and we won't be able to travel. Our insurance is unlikely to cover us as this was. Pre-existing condition, albeit one that has been successfully managed for the last 7 years. The TA (in the US) says there is nothing they can do, and Celebrity say that can't even access our booking to look at it because it was booked through a TA.

This was to be our first cruise and it hadn't struck me how different it is from booking a hotel, which can often be cancelled without losing the full cost.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Andrew

I am sorry that you will have to cancel your cruise. As both my husband and I have multiple, pre-existing conditions, I can understand how easy it is to forget about a condition you have managed without problem for a number of years but I am not sure that I can say anything much that will help.

The most important thing is, that if you are certain that you will not be able to take your cruise, you should cancel as early as possible. I am not sure of the US T&Cs but, in the UK you do not loose 100% of the fare until a matter of days before your sail date. You should also be refunded the "taxes and fees" and, I believe, any pre-paid gratuities.

I hope that this experience does not turn you off cruising because it is still a great experience. Once you have sailed once with Celebrity [and become a member of their Captain's Club], at least in the UK, you will find that they do their best to accommodate you. Perhaps, booking through a US TA was not the best move in retrospect. It is difficult to deal with these things at a distance.

You do not say what your wife's condition is, but if it is such that you find it difficult to obtain insurance, may I recommend AllClear Cruise Insurance. It will cost you [for us, it is as much as some couples pay for their cruise but, as I say we both have multiple conditions] but it is easy to make an application online and they have great customer service.

It may be of little comfort at the moment but, if your wife had become ill while you were on your cruise, the situation could have been much worse it your insurers had refused to cover her medical/repatriation expenses.

I hope that you manage to recover something from this.

Sue

Stupidly we didn't declare it. It's been such a non-issue in our lives for so long.

Totally my fault. My real hope was to postpone, but our US TA and Celebrity are sticking to the rules, which of course, they are entitled to do.

If the US rules apply to your booking, check into the exact description in the policy for "pre-existing condition". Some policies include coverage for existing conditions that are well-maintained, as long as there were no changes in medication for a certain period of time before you bought the policy (90 day??)

It can't hurt to file a claim. The worst that can happen is that the insurer will decline it.

Hope your wife recovers quickly and completely.

Jane

If the US rules apply to your booking, check into the exact description in the policy for "pre-existing condition". Some policies include coverage for existing conditions that are well-maintained, as long as there were no changes in medication for a certain period of time before you bought the policy (90 day??)

It can't hurt to file a claim. The worst that can happen is that the insurer will decline it.

Hope your wife recovers quickly and completely.

Jane

Here's an example of the type of language referred to above.

It's from Celebrity Cruisecare's "terms & conditions" pdf dated 4-1-13 from the celebrity.com website:

In Parts A & B (except Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation) we will not pay for any loss caused by or incurred resulting from a Pre-*Existing Condition Exclusion as

Pre-*Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60-*day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion, Business Partner or Immediate Family Member who is scheduled or booked to travel with you:

1. received or received a recommendation for a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment;; or

2. took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.

Item 2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or

controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60-*day period before coverage is effective under this Policy.

If you have any questions concerning this exclusion, please call the program administrator at 1-*800-*797-*4516 for further clarification

What I don't know if whether these policy terms apply to a purchaser from the UK buying policy through a US travel agent.

This policy form also covers a 75% credit under the "Cancel for any reason" provision.

CruiseCare “Any Reason” Cruise Credits...............equal to 75% of the non-*refundable pre-*paid Cruise Vacation Cost

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased CruiseCare, Celebrity Cruises will provide

you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-*refundable value (excluding ChoiceAir) of your Cruise Vacation prepaid to Celebrity Cruises, for your use toward a future cruise. This additional enhancement is offered by Celebrity Cruises as a special service to guests that purchase this cruise ticket Cancellation Penalty Waiver Addendum. Certain restrictions on the use of these cruise credits (such as blackout periods) may apply. Credits are valid for one year from issue date, are not transferable, and have no cash value...

Hope one of these things applies to you :)

Jane

Here's a link to the document, if it works:

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/cel_pdf/TermsConditions_Celebrity_Cruises_CruiseCare_04_01_13_LR.pdf

media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/cel_pdf/TermsConditions_Celebrity_Cruises_CruiseCare_04_01_13_LR.pdf

A happy end to our story. A lovely lady in Michael Bayley's office reached out to us after I wrote them an e-mail. They were just brilliant and something has been sorted out. I can't say enough good things about them. Now we can focus on getting back to full health instead of worrying.

Well done Celebrity! Definitely my favourite cruise line!

A happy end to our story. A lovely lady in Michael Bayley's office reached out to us after I wrote them an e-mail. They were just brilliant and something has been sorted out. I can't say enough good things about them. Now we can focus on getting back to full health instead of worrying.

Well done Celebrity! Definitely my favourite cruise line!

So glad to read this:)....May I ask what they ended up doing for you?

They have allowed us to re-schedule. We'll lose a bunch of the benefits we had with our original cruise (123 Go), but that really is the least of our worries!

Ohhh...but you are able to use the money paid for another cruise though?

That is awesome:D.....so you don't lose your payment!

They have allowed us to re-schedule. We'll lose a bunch of the benefits we had with our original cruise (123 Go), but that really is the least of our worries!

So happy to hear of this good resolution. Bravo to Celebrity!

Glad that you can now devote your energy to a speedy and complete recovery.

Thanks for coming back on here to let us know of the positive resolution.

Jane

I am so glad that you can focus on the important matters. Wishing your wife a rapid recovery.

Sue

We had a similar situation. We did not purchase trip insurance, but our United Airlines Chase Visa card has trip cancellation protection. Holland America were going to keep 70% ($2200) of our cruise fare (we cancelled 2 weeks before sailing date) and REFUSED to give us credit toward a future cruise. But our Visa card refunded everything we paid and fought for us. We provided medical documentation, copies of our correspondence with HAL, and we got every penny back. HAL should be ashamed of themselves.

Hi

We had to cancel a holiday because of terminal family illness. We lost £1500 and that was about 8 years ago. There was no way that the Insurance Company would pay out as they called it a pre existing medical condition.

We had paid the holiday in full and the company would only let us change the booking IF I went with someone else (leaving my hubby at home with a terminally ill parent) NO CHANCE ! In effect we told them to get lost and lost the holiday..... though we had paid for I we couldn't even give it away.

I was so pleased when I read that Celebrity had let you have another holiday -------- please reconsider the insurance route --- insurance companies do not like to pay out.

I do hope that things work out for you and our thoughts are with you at this stressful time.

We had to postpone a cruise we should have been on in March this year and Celebrity let us pick another cruise which we did and they charged us £75 pp admin fee. We were able to change to a cruise in Sept.

just reading back on the posts and so glad things have worked out well and that Celebrity did help out. Wishing you well.

Archived