Things wrong with aft balconies

warmwinds

The thought occurred to me (an aft balcony addict), that there are several things "different" about aft balconies that may not appeal to everyone, and we have thread after thread of how wonderful they are...to those of us who think they are wonderful. To play devil's advocate, so that some people don't go in all starry eyed, here are some things that, while I don't consider them faults, others might...

You have more vibration in the very back of the ship

Your balcony is often very shady

Your balcony seldom gets a good breeze blowing at you...air circulates, but the entire ship blocks you from direct wind

Some people don't like riding backwards (the limo/car sick thing)

Anyone else?

There's really no downside that I can tell to an aft facing balcony. When you're in your cabin you're not sleeping backwards compared to the side cabins. The vibration is minimal and just like everything else related to sea motion - you get used to it. I like the fact that because it's less windy it's more quiet in the back. The sun shifts throughout the day so the shade issue is moot as quite often most of the balcony is sunny. Some people complain of noise on the upper decks but that hasn't been a problem for me. Any minor disadvantages are far outweighed by the advantages IMHO.

Another thing that some might consider a disadvantage is:

When you're docked sometimes there is a ship docked behind you or backed up to you so that you have people staring at you during the day.

To tell you the truth, I haven't even really paid much attention to the "advantages" of the aft balconies, because for me it is absolutely most important to be able to see where I'm going! :) I wouldn't even consider a rear-facing balcony, I'd go nuts always wondering what was coming up ahead!

I'm sure the folks who like the aft balconies are more than happy that I feel this way.. ha ha ha.. less competition for booking!

Theron

We had an aft balcony and there was a problem with soot dropping onto the balcony and leaving a sooty film on the seats. Also when it rained all the water dripped down and landed on the balcony which never got the sun to dry it off. Another problem is that you are overlooked by people on balconies higher than you and even sometimes people eating in the buffet!!

and I'll take my 200 sq ft balcony any day. If I see folks staring, I just go undercover. I also pack my supersoaker, for added fun playing shooting gallery ;-)

No major problems, love the guitarist til 9PM adding some abiance to our romantic evening.............

When we had 9140 on the side in CC, we had the window washing machine atop our balcony quirtng us also during breakfast. So good luck on the sides with that stupid invention.....

We had an aft balcony and there was a problem with soot dropping onto the balcony and leaving a sooty film on the seats. Also when it rained all the water dripped down and landed on the balcony which never got the sun to dry it off. Another problem is that you are overlooked by people on balconies higher than you and even sometimes people eating in the buffet!!

go to a restaurant-hundreds of people see you

go to a movie-hundreds of people see you

go to the market-hundreds of people see you

go to work-many, possibly even hundreds of people see you

BUT, step out on a cruise ship balcony and if someone glances at you, your privacy has been invaded! PEOPLE, you're NOT that interesting! get over it and go about your business, SHEESH! :eek:

Did you experience the soot problem on one of the Millennium class ships or a different ship? Given their cleaner burning power plants, my lone observation when we were in our Infinity aft cabin was that there was no soot to speak of.

Mahdnc...did you ever have an aft FO cabin in Deck 8/Mercury? We are considering it, but wondering if people or lounging chairs are directly in the front of the windows. We know on Deck 10, the Aft FO do have that situation.

Thanks in advance....

Karyn

Karyn,

Our FO was on Deck 10 on the Mercury but I did check out the decking behind the Deck 8 FOs and they had chaise lounges in front of the windows.

If you click on the Mercury FO link in my signature, you will see a bunch a photos of our Mercury FO. In particular I have included a photo taken by someone else of the public deck area behind the Deck 8 FOs on the Mercury. You will see the chairs that I am talking about.

David

I much prefer aft balconies. I most cases they are way larger than side balconies. But as far as sun is concerned, aft balconies are usually the only balconies where you can get sun (except minisuites on Princess ships). On the Millenium class ships, the aft balconies are huge and about half covred. Almost all the side balconies are covered by the overhang from the buffet restaurant. The balconies on deck 9 are almost clostrophobiic.

go to a restaurant-hundreds of people see you

go to a movie-hundreds of people see you

go to the market-hundreds of people see you

go to work-many, possibly even hundreds of people see you

BUT, step out on a cruise ship balcony and if someone glances at you, your privacy has been invaded! PEOPLE, you're NOT that interesting! get over it and go about your business, SHEESH! :eek:

When I choose...

to go to a restaurant - I don't expect any privacy

to go to a movie - I don't expect any privacy

to go to the market - I don't expect any privacy

to go to work - I don't expect any privacy

and not one of these places do I go naked or scantilly clad or in my nighties. I usually seek privacy, quiet, and want to get away from people when I go onto the veranda. SHEESH! :eek:

Another thing that some might consider a disadvantage is:

When you're docked sometimes there is a ship docked behind you or backed up to you so that you have people staring at you during the day.

I learned this the hard way. We docked in one of our ports early, & I didn't find out until I got out of the shower. :eek: I felt like everyone on the other ship had their gaze locked on our cabin. If so, they got their eyes full. :o

There are NOT enough of them to go around!!!!!

So true!!! IMO, our Aft cabin was a definite advantage in Alaska. We were able to have breakfast on the balcony every morning, & there was more than enough room for the 3 of us. My DH took his naps in the lounge chairs. It was great!!! I'm afraid we will now be spoiled & won't be happy with anything else. Unfortunately, it seems that you have to book the day the schedule is released or get lucky, like we did.

If I see folks staring, I just go undercover. I also pack my supersoaker, for added fun playing shooting gallery ;-)
I can just imagine. "A Carnival ship backs up right behind your aft balcony. Time to open fire." Sounds like fun. I'm game

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Summit on October 2003, Aft cabin 7203, loved it. It is about 75%-80% covered and only had sun for about 2 hours a day, but could have been because of the season. Only problem we had was the first 3 days the seas were rough and both of us could not go on deck without the door flying open and shut constantly. I read later that some people bring a bungee cord to help. You will notice the ships engines only when you are in the process of docking or leaving a port, never a problem. If I could change anything I would have a little more of the balcony open.

Hope to book an aft again for Hawaii in 2007

You know we had an aft cabin awhile back.

Went with a bunch of friends ...

They did not like the fact we had enough room for all of them - every night back there.

They did not like that we always seemed to have a great sunset back there.

They did not like that we had chairs and lounges for four.

They did not like the fact they could hear the music coming from the back of the ship above us - every night.

They did not like those sunset pictures with their travel partner on the rail.

They did not like it that when we left port they could stay in the shade if they wanted.

They did not like that the room was a CC class and the extra trays of goodies the room steward brought each night. They choked them down - but did not like it.

Those aft cabins can lose you friends - don't book them. ;)

When I choose...

to go to a restaurant - I don't expect any privacy

to go to a movie - I don't expect any privacy

to go to the market - I don't expect any privacy

to go to work - I don't expect any privacy

and not one of these places do I go naked or scantilly clad or in my nighties. I usually seek privacy, quiet, and want to get away from people when I go onto the veranda. SHEESH! :eek:

if you are going onto a balcony naked OR scantily clad you deserve the looks you may get. sheesh :confused:

They cost more then an OV/inside.
That's apples and oranges. They don't cost any more than any of the other CC cabins with their dinky (by comparison) verandas. In fact, if we don't stop talking about this pretty soon, I expect X will suddenly create CC-1 and CC-2 cabins, the CC-1 being the afts, and start charging us more!;)

Carnival is he perfect one next to Olsten ships..................what's even funnier is folks think it is raining........

DH has his fishing rod ready too...........

I can just imagine. "A Carnival ship backs up right behind your aft balcony. Time to open fire." Sounds like fun. I'm game

All we need is one of them to be reading us & see what you said!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but you are INSIDE for a year. But CC on anything but M Class is.

That's apples and oranges. They don't cost any more than any of the other CC cabins with their dinky (by comparison) verandas. In fact, if we don't stop talking about this pretty soon, I expect X will suddenly create CC-1 and CC-2 cabins, the CC-1 being the afts, and start charging us more!;)

Archived