Pregnant and cruising...

maddea20

Has anyone been pregnant and went on a cruise with Carnival before?

I will be 12 weeks pregnant by the end of my cruise in Aug and would like to know if I need to bring a doctor's note stating how many weeks I will be?

Is this something they check? I have a feeling I may be showing somewhat by that time.

Has anyone been pregnant and went on a cruise with Carnival before?

I will be 12 weeks pregnant by the end of my cruise in Aug and would like to know if I need to bring a doctor's note stating how many weeks I will be?

Is this something they check? I have a feeling I may be showing somewhat by that time.

Contact Guest Services, and ask them directly for a definitive answer.

I know my DIL's sister had to have a note that stated she would be no more than 20 weeks by the end of our cruise...she cut it close, she was 19 weeks by the end of the cruise.

You should be fine, but there's no harm in asking for the sake of your baby and you.

If anyone can tell you're pregnant (doubtful at 12 weeks), then get a note. If not, don't worry about it. Though IMHO it's still a good idea to let your OB know you're cruising and to ensure that you don't have any related issues that should prevent you from doing so safely. Othwerwise, enjoy!

My wife was at about 10 weeks when we did a B2B on Victory in March. Everything was fine and we had a great time.

Here is the policy from their website :

What is Carnival's policy for guests who are pregnant?

Carnival's policy regarding guests who are pregnant:

While at sea or in port, the availability of medical care may be limited or delayed. Prenatal and early infant care in particular may require specialized diagnostic facilities and/or treatment that are not obtainable during the cruise on board the ship or ashore in ports of call. Pregnant women are not allow to cruise unless their estimated gestational age on the day of disembarkation is 24 completed weeks or less.

Pregnant women with an estimated gestational age of 24 completed weeks or less, on the day of disembarkation, must submit, prior to departure, a letter from her attending physician certifying that her gestational status is in accordance with this policy, and that the expecting mother is fit to sail.

Because the safety of the pregnant mother and unborn child is our number one concern, Carnival will not accept any agreement or recommendation from the Guest and/or her physician that the policy be waived.

Click here to print Carnival's Pregnancy Certification Form.

Contact Guest Services, and ask them directly for a definitive answer.

I know my DIL's sister had to have a note that stated she would be no more than 20 weeks by the end of our cruise...she cut it close, she was 19 weeks by the end of the cruise.

You should be fine, but there's no harm in asking for the sake of your baby and you.

Ok I will call Carnival then. Thanks!

If anyone can tell you're pregnant (doubtful at 12 weeks), then get a note. If not, don't worry about it. Though IMHO it's still a good idea to let your OB know you're cruising and to ensure that you don't have any related issues that should prevent you from doing so safely. Othwerwise, enjoy!

My wife was at about 10 weeks when we did a B2B on Victory in March. Everything was fine and we had a great time.

Yes I will let my OB know. Thank you!

And, from my experience, Carnival takes this policy seriously.

I was in the VIP lounge waiting to board Liberty (Saturday morning).

A pregnant woman was not going to be allowed to board with her family until she got a note from the doctor.

I watched the drama unfold while the woman was trying to get a hold of her doctor. Finally, the doctor faxed the required info and she was allowed to board.

I was thinking she was lucky to find her doctor on a Saturday morning.

Here is the policy from their website :

What is Carnival's policy for guests who are pregnant?

Carnival's policy regarding guests who are pregnant:

While at sea or in port, the availability of medical care may be limited or delayed. Prenatal and early infant care in particular may require specialized diagnostic facilities and/or treatment that are not obtainable during the cruise on board the ship or ashore in ports of call. Pregnant women are not allow to cruise unless their estimated gestational age on the day of disembarkation is 24 completed weeks or less.

Pregnant women with an estimated gestational age of 24 completed weeks or less, on the day of disembarkation, must submit, prior to departure, a letter from her attending physician certifying that her gestational status is in accordance with this policy, and that the expecting mother is fit to sail.

Because the safety of the pregnant mother and unborn child is our number one concern, Carnival will not accept any agreement or recommendation from the Guest and/or her physician that the policy be waived.

Click here to print Carnival's Pregnancy Certification Form.

Oh so I must submit something from my doctor. Thanks for this information.

I cruised on carnival visibly pregnant with my first born and I never had to present a note. I had one just in case stating I was 20 weeks but they never asked. I loved that Alaskan cruise. Napped a lot. Best sleep of my life on the spirit.

I cruised with NCL right before by 20 week mark (I believe I was 19 weeks). It was very obvious that I was PG. Also, I would definitely bring a note of some kind. Imagine that if something came up and you had to visit the infirmary.

Also, the air trip that we took caused some strange bleeding and I had to call the doc from the cruise ship. Something about the altitude caused me to bleed.

So yes, best to get a note! I don't recall them specifically asking for mine - but better safe than sorry!

I cruised with NCL right before by 20 week mark (I believe I was 19 weeks). It was very obvious that I was PG. Also, I would definitely bring a note of some kind. Imagine that if something came up and you had to visit the infirmary.

Also, the air trip that we took caused some strange bleeding and I had to call the doc from the cruise ship. Something about the altitude caused me to bleed.

So yes, best to get a note! I don't recall them specifically asking for mine - but better safe than sorry!

Yes your right. I never thought of something maybe happening while I was on the cruise even if I'm only 12 weeks. I think I will defn bring a note from my OB now anyway.

Thank you for all the responses. I pray I have a smooth sailing with no issues. :)

My g/f cruised last year and she made the 24 week cutoff by like 2 days, we would have not been very happy if we had to miss that cruise! lol

Carnival does require a letter from the doctor, we faxed it in ahead of time so that we would not have any issues at embarkation, we brought a copy just in case, but since we had already faxed it in we had no problems at all. It was a great cruise!

I have only cruised while pregnant on NCL. At that time I think the cutoff was more like 27 or 28 weeks. I barely made the cutoff and was worried because they didn't state whether it was the END of the week or the start of the week ( 27 or 28) and was concerned that they wouldn't allow me on. My midwife just dated it so that it would work either way. Nobody ever asked for my letter.

The cruise was great and I had a wonderful time. I guess I was the staffs first lady to do the hula class/show while pregnant. It was funny.

We cruised Carnival last year with a friend who was 14 weeks. She wasn't showing but had a note anyway. Nobody ever asked for her letter either. She had a great trip. She had just gotten passed the icky belly stage.

I was 13 weeks pregnant when I went on Carnival Nov 2010. I had to get a doctors note and fax it through to them before I boarded. I believe when I went online to get my boarding pass there is a question there about being pregnant and if you say 'yes' then it tells you you are required to get a doctors letter.

So just go ahead and get the letter and fax it off to wherever guest services tell you to send it and then you don't have to worry about it after that. I still took a copy of my doctors letter and the e-mail receipt form Carnival saying they had got it and I was ok to travel to check in but no one asked at that stage.

I sailed when I was near the cut off date with my 1 yr old. We were on the Destiny. They didn't ask for the letter but I had it with me anyway. Better safe than sorry. The letter isn't much trouble to go through.

So what would happen if you just say you are not pregnant??

I guess it would be hard to prove lol. I'm sure many women go on these ships all the time over 24 weeks and may not even be stopped to even ask if they may be pregnant. I mean what if someone just naturally looks pregnant but they're not? Idk.

• 2 months later...

My wife was pregnant our last cruise u need to have to doc fax it to one of their dept a few weeks prior to the cruise. My wife's doc checked the wrong box saying that my wife was under the cut off. Luckily someone at carnival caught it and we had to have the doc resubmit the form with the box checked that she was under the cutoff. I was surprised they actually checked so they must take it seriously.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I just came back from my cruise a few days ago and everything went well. I faxed the signed document to Carnival a few weeks before my cruise and they noted it in my cruise documentation. That was it. Never heard about it again.

I just came back from my cruise a few days ago and everything went well. I faxed the signed document to Carnival a few weeks before my cruise and they noted it in my cruise documentation. That was it. Never heard about it again.

How was your cruise while pregnant? I'm cruising at the end of the month at 15 weeks. I can't wait, but I've never cruise pregnant before so I am just a little worried that I might actually get sea sick.

Did you happen to go for a massage? I was wondering if they were able to do a prenatal massage (I won't be buying drinks so I might as well spend the money somewhere!).

Any other advice?

I went with two different pregnancies. The first I was only like 9 weeks so I never said anything... The second time I was about 21 weeks and I got the paper that showed my dr signed off that I could go ( had to fax one back and they said to carry one on because they would ask me to see the hard copy) I faxed it then gave it to the lady when we checked in and she had no idea what it was...even said they didn't have it in the system but really didn't need it if I was under 24 weeks and handed it back to me. Odd...

How was your cruise while pregnant? I'm cruising at the end of the month at 15 weeks. I can't wait, but I've never cruise pregnant before so I am just a little worried that I might actually get sea sick.

Did you happen to go for a massage? I was wondering if they were able to do a prenatal massage (I won't be buying drinks so I might as well spend the money somewhere!).

Any other advice?

Well the cruise was nice, however I'm currently still experiencing morning sickness so I was a bit sick throughout the cruise. But never had any seasickness though. I usually don't get motion sick or seasick so I was good in that dept. I've not vomited since being pregnant yet neither so that didn't happen.

I thought of getting a massage that whole week but was scared they would ask me to lay on my stomach and I didn't think I could do that. They did have a lot of other specials for other types of massages that I could have really used but I just never got around to wanting to pay the money. :D

Have a nice cruise!

Archived