Clarify 'mini-bar' in Veendam rooms

kathy6890

I'm hoping to get some clarification as to whether or not there is in fact a mini-bar in all of the cabins on the Veendam. I called and spoke to Ship services which assured me that there is a mini-bar in my outside cabin and that I didn't need to also rent an additional fridge. However, in more than one post through out the forums members have stated that there aren't any mini-bars in the "S" class rooms with the exception of the lanai's and suites. Before I call HAL again, anyone with some firsthand and recent experience? Thanks so much!:rolleyes:

Only the balcony and verandah cabins have the mini refrigerators.

I am not certain about the lanai cabins -- they are small and I am not certain where a mini-refrigerator could be placed as a feature of the cabin.

You are aware that anything in the refrigerators you have to pay -- nothing is free.

The rep is mistaken.........

On the "S" and "R" Class ships, there are mini-bars in cabins that have verandahs.

The rep would have been correct had you been speaking of a Vista or Signature Class ship. All cabins on those ships have coolers/mini-bars in all cabins. Also Prinsendam.

The reps do not always have enough training and/or experience to always 'get it right'. Good you checked with us. ;) :)

"S" and "R" Class ships are Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam.

Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Zaandam and Volendam.

Vista Class ships are Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Noordam.

Signature Class ships are Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

Prinsendam is a 'one of a kind' with no sisters in the HAL fleet. :)

The rep may be "half right". All rooms on all ships come with the "mini-bar" set-up = beverages available for purchase. It is just that on the "R' and "S" ships, in inside and OV rooms, that set-up is on the desk with the ice bucket - not in a fridge/cooler. There are soft drinks, bottled waters, beers, etc. set out, but not a large assortment of mini liquors etc. like in the fridges/coolers.

Most people assume "mini-bar" means a fridge/cooler with the usual assortment of drinks available for purchase. HAL seems to use the term to describe the set-up, rather than the existence of a fridge/cooler.

Fridge/coolers can be rented for $2 a day for inside and OV rooms.

If you wish to rent a 'cooler/frig', you should do so in advance of boarding. There is a limited number of them and you might be disappointed if you wait until you board.

Thank you so much for the clarification- now it makes sense- 'mini-bar' without the actual fridge. I've just rented the fridge for our room. Thanks again!

Be aware that it's not really a "fridge". It's a "cooler". Doesn't keep things really cold...just cool.

Sorry I posted this on the Nieuw Amsterdam boards also. :confused: I keep reading different comments about different classes of HAL ships, and different categories of cabins. Hal has lots of ships, and many levels of cabins! I would like to know about the VE cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I read on the boards some people talk about refrigerators, coolers, ice service, and ice buckets. My wife wants to be able to keep some yogurt on hand to take pills with. Is there a object in the cabin that is hooked up to electricity that keeps drinks and other things cold, not to make ice in, but cool/cold. I read one can rent a refrigerator for $2 a day, or is that only for cabins below a certain level that would only have a ice bucket that is filled twice a day? To me a cooler is just a insulated box that one can put ice into along with one's cans of what ever to keep them cool when one is away from home, or in one's car.

Second thing I see where the VE cabin has a TV with DVD player. But the Signature Suites have listed a complimentary DVD library, does one have to RENT DVD's in the lower cabins. I saw a listing for - Ship Flicks Package $10 - "So you've rented your favorite Ship Flicks movie " Or can one go to reception and check out a DVD movie??

Sorry I posted this on the Nieuw Amsterdam boards also. :confused: I keep reading different comments about different classes of HAL ships, and different categories of cabins. Hal has lots of ships, and many levels of cabins! I would like to know about the VE cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I read on the boards some people talk about refrigerators, coolers, ice service, and ice buckets. My wife wants to be able to keep some yogurt on hand to take pills with. Is there a object in the cabin that is hooked up to electricity that keeps drinks and other things cold, not to make ice in, but cool/cold. I read one can rent a refrigerator for $2 a day, or is that only for cabins below a certain level that would only have a ice bucket that is filled twice a day? To me a cooler is just a insulated box that one can put ice into along with one's cans of what ever to keep them cool when one is away from home, or in one's car.

Second thing I see where the VE cabin has a TV with DVD player. But the Signature Suites have listed a complimentary DVD library, does one have to RENT DVD's in the lower cabins. I saw a listing for - Ship Flicks Package $10 - "So you've rented your favorite Ship Flicks movie " Or can one go to reception and check out a DVD movie??

The "cooler" others refer to is a mini-frig (electric). It is not what you (and I) think of as a cooler we take to a picnic. It keeps drinks cold enough for me. It won't keep any ice cream frozen. :D I "think" all cabins on the NA have "the electric coolers."

I "think" all cabins on the NA have "the electric coolers."

Yes, they do.

As Sail posted earlier in this thread, all the ships in the Vista class, Signature class, and the Prinsendam have a chiller/cooler/fridge (by whatever term you wish to use) in them.

The cabins with a balcony have them on the S- & R-class ships. Outside and inside cabins on those ships can rent one for $2.00 per day.

To me a cooler is just a insulated box that one can put ice into along with one's cans of what ever to keep them cool when one is away from home, or in one's car.
On the ships it's a thermoelectric cooler ... the same technology that is used in battery-powered picnic/tailgate coolers ... that will chill items to about 25 degrees below room temperature. Ice melts in them, but more slowly than just in an ice bucket.

Now can anyone clear up the DVD question?:confused:

Every cabin on every ship has a DVD player. Every passenger, regardless of cabin category, may borrow DVDs at no charge.

You can pick them up/return them to the Front Desk (immediate gratification), or call and they will be delivered to/picked up from your cabin (delayed gratification ;)).

Thanks for your answers.:)

John

As we never wish topurchase anything from the minibar the first thing we do is tell the room steward to remove the contects and store thim forthe next occupant. We then use the bar to store wine and any other food or drink we wish to have available and kept chilled (not frozen). That comes in very handy for our needs.

We had one in our lanai and we were never charged for it. We may have requested one when we made our reservation over a year earlier, but I forgot about it and there was one in the cabin and we were never charged for it.

We are on the Ryndam in 2 weeks time and would like to know if this ship offers the 'rent a fridge' option please.

Yes, it does, but request the fridge in advance of sailing to be sure one is available for you.

All the ships that don't have a fridge in every cabin do have the option of renting one. That is the four S-class (Statendam, Maasdam, Veendam, Ryndam), and the four R-class (Rotterdam Amsterdam, Volendam, Zaandam).

All the other ships do have a fridge in every cabin.

Have a great time on the Ryndam. I spent two weeks on her about a year ago and had a marvelous time.

We just got off the Veendam this past Saturday and we had an OV cabin.

There was no refrig. so we rented one. We forgot to arrange for it before we sailed (duh) but we were lucky that once on board we were able to get one. It wasn't big but it served the purpose.

Regarding the bar set-up. There really wasn't one just some cans of soda and water. However, on the last morning a staff member came to our cabin to, "check the mini-bar". I said to him that we didn't have a mini-bar and he replied that we did and proceeded to count the soda cans and water! I guess we had the 'mini mini-bar'!!:D

Just returned on the Veendam 15th. Our daughter had room 655 an OV. It did not have a mini refrig. Our balcony staterooms did have mini frig. We did not use the mini frig. All items in the mini were not free. I purchased a soda card for $25 and recieved $50 of soda. Had 3 in our room( our grandson 16 yrs old). Took the unlimited laundry. That was the best choice I have made. Sent laundry out 3 different days. Best $49 ever. Didn't play bingo until the last day of bingo; went with my daughter intending to sit with her while she played the blackout game. Bought $20(3 tickets) and won. I won a cruise. How lucky is that???? Great ending for a great cruise from Quebec City to Boston. we hired a cab in Halifax, Sydney and Bar Harbor for 7. Paid by the hour= $80; the only way to go economically.

Archived