How common are upsells?

taba

Hi Dave

Yes, I saw that thread and that was part of the reason I have been mulling this over. But, our cruise still shows vacancies at all levels--on both HAL and TA web pages. And, it's the Prinsendam, which may not operate like the other ships in HALs fleet. And i know others on this cruise who booked guarantees still haven't been assigned cabins, so wouldn't that have to happen first?

I have a golf tournament on Monday but maybe when I get home, I'll call costco and ask.

Thanks

ML

The fact that guarantees have not been assigned yet means nothing to the upsells. On my cruise, several people on our roll call have not yet been assigned their guarantee cabins, but I already have my upsell in hand. I think they wait until AFTER the upsells are done, since why give away an upgrade for free (like the guarantees get) when you can sell it for something? Plus the upsells open up some lower level cabins (like my SZ which I already had selected my cabin for).

DaveOKC

My, what speculation, guesses, etc. Fun, but I do know that for me the only one that fits MY experience is the "computer generated" one.

I am one cruise away from 5 star, I sometimes go for a guarantee, sometimes select a cabin, I use a large cruise travel agency, and have received a number of up-sell offers, some really good and some very so, so. I sometimes cruise solo and sometimes with my DH. None of these factors seem to enter into when I am/am not offered an up-sell. Sometimes I take them, usually not because unless I am offered an up-sell at a somewhat reasonable price that moves be between inside to outside or outside to veranda I am usually not willing to pay what they ask for the up-sell. Also, I am usually involved in a roll call, but I have NEVER given my actual name and NEVER given my cabin number on the roll call. One time someone who knew me did use my name in a reply and it was added to the roll call listing, but only my first name.

In response to the query why folks do guarantees, well for me it is to save money AND I am a "good" sailor so it does not matter to me if I am in the center of the ship, aft or forward. Vertically (deck level) does not matter to me either, so I go for price. I DO understand why many want to ensure their cabin location, I simply not one of those folks. In addition, I really like to feel the ship's rocking motion at night and miss the "good old days" when you really knew you were on a ship. However, I must say I do NOT particularly enjoy it when the wave patterns lead to a lot of slamming of the ship onto the water.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been reading all of the threads on CC about upsells and I have a couple of questions maybe someone here can help me with.

I checked the box saying that I did not want my cabin changed as I am booked in a mid ship veranda.

By checking that box, will I not get any upsell offers?

I would love an upsell to a Neptune or Signature Suite (if there are any available and if the price is right). I was just scared to not check the box and get almost the same cabin only at the bow or stern of the ship.

When you don't check the box, will they contact you and ask if you want the different cabin or is it automatically switched?

Since I am fairly new to this and booked directly through HAL should I call them regarding upsells?

Any insight into this would be appreciated!

I have been reading all of the threads on CC about upsells and I have a couple of questions maybe someone here can help me with.

I checked the box saying that I did not want my cabin changed as I am booked in a mid ship veranda.

By checking that box, will I not get any upsell offers?

I would love an upsell to a Neptune or Signature Suite (if there are any available and if the price is right). I was just scared to not check the box and get almost the same cabin only at the bow or stern of the ship.

When you don't check the box, will they contact you and ask if you want the different cabin or is it automatically switched?

Since I am fairly new to this and booked directly through HAL should I call them regarding upsells?

My experience - I booked through a PCC at HAL. Selected an SZ cabin and marked it "do not upgrade".

My brother, who had an SZ guarantee got an Upsell offer 4 weeks prior to sailing, but I did not. He did not know how it worked, so he waited too long to reply and was "shut out".

For the next week I had my PCC call HAL everday and ask about upsells. On the fifth day of calling, she finally got me an upsell offer to an SA for $149 and I quickly took it.

This was my recent (2 weeks ago), experience.

DaveOKC

Archived