How common are upsells?

taba

Got the e-mail to my phone called within 10 minutes got hold of the other three couples that were going and got the same offer and within three hours had them all up graded to SA. Was looking forward to it before but REALLT looking forward to it now!.

This terrific! You will love the SA! Have a great cruise!!:)

I think the only people that know how Hal functions is Hal. I've seen things written on here as fact that were later disproved so I'll take what I read with a grain of salt.

Me too, Lorene. I feel much presented on CC is hearsay.

We are going on the Amsterdam to Alaska on Aug. 2. Booked Outside View category E for the 3 of us. Just received an offer to upgrade to Vista Cat A-BC for $199 pp. Is this a good deal?

We are going on the Amsterdam to Alaska on Aug. 2. Booked Outside View category E for the 3 of us. Just received an offer to upgrade to Vista Cat A-BC for $199 pp. Is this a good deal?

Depends. Right now the E to BC is worth $380 pp (fare difference). The E to A is worth $1190 !! I cannot see why the big difference in BC to A fares, except that HAL seems to be using BC as a "special fare" - usually meaning non-cancellable, etc. I would ask EXACTLY which cabin I was getting (you likely do not want a handicap one (unless you need it of course). The BCs are at the aft end of the ship, so more movement in rough seas, but AK should not be a problem, especially going out of Vancouver.

I would go for it, but again, ask nicely if they will give you an A cabin for that.

DaveOKC

quote=IRL_Joanie;38687627]Sail, I mentioned yesterday that it seems to me that those being offered both free upgrades and up sells vs those who have never received either may be dependent upon whether they have signed up for their Cruise Critic Roll Call and/or are active on it. Now that HAL has Face Book Roll Calls also, it may be that they are getting the offers first....

<SNIP>

Joanie

Joanie, You could be right.. We normally travel with Friends & when we do our TA marks our PNR "Do not upgrade" ..

Therefore, of 15 HAL cruises we have never been upgraded, but were offered an up-sell on HAL's Veendam to Bermuda in 2010, when we were traveling alone... I also started the Roll call for that cruise..

The Up-sell offer came 9 days prior to departure & was a very reasonable offer to either a Lanai or a Verandah..

We wanted to try the Lanai so took that up-sell offer, & now are completely spoiled.. Wish we could have a Lanai all the time..

BTW the couple in the Lanai next to us were also on our Roll Call..

Cheers...Betty

quote=IRL_Joanie;38687627]Sail, I mentioned yesterday that it seems to me that those being offered both free upgrades and up sells vs those who have never received either may be dependent upon whether they have signed up for their Cruise Critic Roll Call and/or are active on it. Now that HAL has Face Book Roll Calls also, it may be that they are getting the offers first....

<SNIP>

Joanie

Joanie, You could be right.. We normally travel with Friends & when we do our TA marks our PNR "Do not upgrade" ..

Therefore, of 15 HAL cruises we have never been upgraded, but were offered an up-sell on HAL's Veendam to Bermuda in 2010, when we were traveling alone... I also started the Roll call for that cruise..

The Up-sell offer came 9 days prior to departure & was a very reasonable offer to either a Lanai or a Verandah..

We wanted to try the Lanai so took that up-sell offer, & now are completely spoiled.. Wish we could have a Lanai all the time..

Cheers...Betty

I have received 2 upsells in all my cruises. I didn't participate in roll call on either cruise. I don't if there is any relation to the roll call.

Interesting read. I am set to sail my first HAL cruise to Alaska on the Voldendam Aug 14. I did sign up on the HAL facebook roll call - yesterday got an upsell from category G to AA for $199 pp (two of us sailing). I gladly accepted it as it is well over $1000 pp price difference between the two cabins. My TA did mention it was because we were new to HAL.

We have been given four upgrades in our 8 sails, two up charge and two free upgrades, none of which I signed up for roll call on CC or facebook. But I do call consistently with the price drops to get what I can maybe that's a way of getting us to quit calling all the time, cause now I cant price check as the price for the deluxe suite is well over 1K PP more than we paid.

We have been given four upgrades in our 8 sails, two up charge and two free upgrades, none of which I signed up for roll call on CC or facebook. But I do call consistently with the price drops to get what I can maybe that's a way of getting us to quit calling all the time, cause now I cant price check as the price for the deluxe suite is well over 1K PP more than we paid.

Just wondering if the upgrades were offered after final payment was made? I am new to HAL will be cruising in Sept, I see price drop but so far no upgrade offer.

If you booked a specific cabin through a TA and had the reservation marked "Do Not Upgrade" will my TA still get the upsell emails?

yes, your TA still gets upsell offers. I'm not sure at what stage though - first or second round?

Just wondering if the upgrades were offered after final payment was made? I am new to HAL will be cruising in Sept, I see price drop but so far no upgrade offer.

upgrades and upsells are usually offered after final payment close to the ship's sailing date

Now I am really putting the theory to the test, that only newbies get good upgrades. As reported before, my daughter and SIL booked their first HAL cruise about 6 weeks ago - sailing tomorrow - and through one upgrade and one small upsell, landed a Neptune suit. Prior to that, her friend - first-time ever cruisers - also ended up in a Neptune, from booking an HH guarantee.

So, I just booked an HH guarantee for an Aug 31st cruise on the same ship. I've been cruising HAL for years, and have a suite booked for next April. I will report back on what happens.... but I have a sinking feeling that I will be sailing away in an HH!:eek: Stay tuned:o

Now I am really putting the theory to the test, that only newbies get good upgrades. As reported before, my daughter and SIL booked their first HAL cruise about 6 weeks ago - sailing tomorrow - and through one upgrade and one small upsell, landed a Neptune suit. Prior to that, her friend - first-time ever cruisers - also ended up in a Neptune, from booking an HH guarantee.

So, I just booked an HH guarantee for an Aug 31st cruise on the same ship. I've been cruising HAL for years, and have a suite booked for next April. I will report back on what happens.... but I have a sinking feeling that I will be sailing away in an HH!:eek: Stay tuned:o

Interesting. We shall see what happens. It would have been better if all of you were on the same cruise because your cruise may be selling better then theirs.

• 1 month later...

Our ship leaves in 7 days and I have been calling at least once a week if not twice a week looking for an upsell with no luck still :(. Im going to try again monday. We did book a VE guarantee and ended up with a V, so thats still not shabby!!

Our ship leaves in 7 days and I have been calling at least once a week if not twice a week looking for an upsell with no luck still :(. Im going to try again monday. We did book a VE guarantee and ended up with a V, so thats still not shabby!!

Unfortunately getting an Up sell offer from a regular balcony is the number one least unlikely option :o The Signature Suites categories SZ, SY and SS are actually the best sellers for Holland America so there are seldom chances to upgrade to this category. What you may want to ask is if they would offer an Up Sell to the Neptune Suites but be prepared for a much higher quote than you have read here on the boards. 90% of the Up sell offers we read about on CC is from those already in Signature Suites or Vista Suites to Up Sell to the Neptune Suite. The next category that often gets offers is for Inside to Ocean View.

So, now I/m curious. We are booked on the Prinsendan in about 5 weeks (Oct 2 sailing out of Athens). I have read that the P would rather sail half full then sell cabins at a discount. We are in an OV cabin category D right now. What are the chances we could get an upsell to balcony if we had our TA check with HAL? And, would there be any discount? I guess I am really just asking what people might have experienced with the P.

I don't think the ship is full. I think I will go check what balconies are being offered at right now and check with TA on Monday. Not willing to pay a lot but it might be worth a call.

Thanks

ML

So, now I/m curious. We are booked on the Prinsendan in about 5 weeks (Oct 2 sailing out of Athens). I have read that the P would rather sail half full then sell cabins at a discount. We are in an OV cabin category D right now. What are the chances we could get an upsell to balcony if we had our TA check with HAL? And, would there be any discount? I guess I am really just asking what people might have experienced with the P.

I don't think the ship is full. I think I will go check what balconies are being offered at right now and check with TA on Monday. Not willing to pay a lot but it might be worth a call.

Thanks

ML

ML - our ship was full but there were a lot of people that took guarantees. I know at least two people who got some nice upsell offers. many of the guarantees did not. I think it pays to be proactive - but 5 weeks out may be a smidge too early. don't be discouraged if it is regular price - give it another two weeks or so and try again:D

ML - our ship was full but there were a lot of people that took guarantees. I know at least two people who got some nice upsell offers. many of the guarantees did not. I think it pays to be proactive - but 5 weeks out may be a smidge too early. don't be discouraged if it is regular price - give it another two weeks or so and try again:D

Hi Jacqui

thanks, I was wondering if it might be too soon. Do you think I should just wait the 2 weeks and not even bother on Monday? This is completely new territory for me so I need your guidance!!:)

ML

Hi Jacqui

thanks, I was wondering if it might be too soon. Do you think I should just wait the 2 weeks and not even bother on Monday? This is completely new territory for me so I need your guidance!!:)

ML

CALL ON MONDAY! I just got my upsell at 4 weeks out after missing out on the first round of upsells that went out at 5 weeks and one day before sailing.

Look at my recent post about "Upsells an interesting thought" for some good guidance.

DaveOKC

CALL ON MONDAY! I just got my upsell at 4 weeks out after missing out on the first round of upsells that went out at 5 weeks and one day before sailing.

Look at my recent post about "Upsells an interesting thought" for some good guidance.

DaveOKC

Hi Dave

Yes, I saw that thread and that was part of the reason I have been mulling this over. But, our cruise still shows vacancies at all levels--on both HAL and TA web pages. And, it's the Prinsendam, which may not operate like the other ships in HALs fleet. And i know others on this cruise who booked guarantees still haven't been assigned cabins, so wouldn't that have to happen first?

I have a golf tournament on Monday but maybe when I get home, I'll call costco and ask.

Thanks

ML

Archived