How busy is January??

vancojo

I note that some cruisers have had good luck walking off the ship and finding excursions in Ports on around the horn cruisers--but I can't tell when they travelled. The private excursion companies I contact tell me that January is the busiest time--any insight as to whether we should be more sure to have guides lined up during the first two weeks of January than at other times?? (I know that there are many tourists in this area who are not on cruise ships)

You will not see guides just hanging around in most of the ports.

Taxis yes if that is what you want.

Do the research ahead of time and if you want a private tour make arrangements for them from home

Keith

• 1 month later...
I note that some cruisers have had good luck walking off the ship and finding excursions in Ports on around the horn cruisers--but I can't tell when they travelled. The private excursion companies I contact tell me that January is the busiest time--any insight as to whether we should be more sure to have guides lined up during the first two weeks of January than at other times?? (I know that there are many tourists in this area who are not on cruise ships)

January is their busiest time of the year as it's in the midst of their summer. Better finding tours ahead of time. Some tour operators do not require deposits.

Word for the wise: Book early. I've been looking into tours in the South American ports for December 2013 for several months now. It seems like many of the "better" guides have already been booked for at least 3 months now. Find a guide or group with good reviews and no or refundable deposit and book now. If you change your mind in a few months. you can always cancel.

Archived