Venice - Cafe Florian menu photos, St Mark's Square? Seeking dessert wine name

mikeerdas

My wife and I had a delightful evening several weeks ago at Cafe Florian in St. Mark's Square, Venice. It was post-cruise, getting dark, after most tourists had left the Square. Fantastic listening to the dueling orchestras. Well worth the extravagant cost (nice little splurge).

Anyway, my wife ordered a red dessert wine on the menu that came in a small glass. Very sweet, very high alcohol content. More like a liquor than a wine. Great for sipping. We're curious to know what it's called.

Does anyone have photos of Cafe Florian's menu? If not, if anyone is planning on visiting Cafe Florian, could you please post a photo of the dessert wine section of the menu? We forget to take a photo of it at our table. Then noticed that the menu posted on the wall was different and didn't show the dessert wines.

Grazie mille if anyone can help.

My wife and I had a delightful evening several weeks ago at Cafe Florian in St. Mark's Square, Venice. It was post-cruise, getting dark, after most tourists had left the Square. Fantastic listening to the dueling orchestras. Well worth the extravagant cost (nice little splurge).

Anyway, my wife ordered a red dessert wine on the menu that came in a small glass. Very sweet, very high alcohol content. More like a liquor than a wine. Great for sipping. We're curious to know what it's called.

Does anyone have photos of Cafe Florian's menu? If not, if anyone is planning on visiting Cafe Florian, could you please post a photo of the dessert wine section of the menu? We forget to take a photo of it at our table. Then noticed that the menu posted on the wall was different and didn't show the dessert wines.

Grazie mille if anyone can help.

Hi, nice to hear you had such a great time in Venice, we love it there too!

I cannot help you with the pictures, but I think that the wine your wife had is Marsala wine. It is produced in Sicily, in the Marsala region. This wine has such a high alcohol content becaus originally they fortified it with extra alcohol to make sure it would last long ocean voyages (not cruises:)). It contains nearly 20 % of alcohol and a lot of sugar. Is ismuch like a sherry or port. Originally it was an apéritif wine, but now is served mostly as a dessert wine

They kept making it the same way (with the extra alcohol) because it so popular in other countries like England.

It's also used frequenntly for cooking, maybe you know chicken Marsala?

I hope you will be able to enjoy many more nice moments in Venice!

Hi, nice to hear you had such a great time in Venice, we love it there too!

I cannot help you with the pictures, but I think that the wine your wife had is Marsala wine. It is produced in Sicily, in the Marsala region. This wine has such a high alcohol content becaus originally they fortified it with extra alcohol to make sure it would last long ocean voyages (not cruises:)). It contains nearly 20 % of alcohol and a lot of sugar. Is ismuch like a sherry or port. Originally it was an apéritif wine, but now is served mostly as a dessert wine

They kept making it the same way (with the extra alcohol) because it so popular in other countries like England.

It's also used frequenntly for cooking, maybe you know chicken Marsala?

I hope you will be able to enjoy many more nice moments in Venice!

Thanks so much Eurodolphin (for the detailed explanation) and Langoustine (for the link)! From page 34 on the PDF menu, I'm guessing it is the 2nd Marsala. Thought my wife had chosen the third dessert wine down, but the alcohol content is less:

Dessert winesAl bicchiere

-

By the glass

Marsala secco Pellegrino 18%

Marsala uovo Cantine Mineo 18%

Marzemino Passito Astoria 13,5%

Passito Tanit 15%

.............................................................................................

Thanks so much Eurodolphin (for the detailed explanation) and Langoustine (for the link)! From page 34 on the PDF menu, I'm guessing it is the 2nd Marsala. Thought my wife had chosen the third dessert wine down, but the alcohol content is less:

Dessert winesAl bicchiere

-

By the glass

Marsala secco Pellegrino 18%

Marsala uovo Cantine Mineo 18%

Marzemino Passito Astoria 13,5%

Passito Tanit 15%

.............................................................................................

You're welcome! I agree, it must have been the second one down.

Archived