Children on European cruise?

Erwende

We just booked a 12 day Mediterranean cruise on NCL Spirit for June 2014. My son will be six. He has been on 7 day Caribbean cruises before. Sometimes he went to the kids club. This will be his first time on a plane too. My husband and I don't like to fly so it should be interesting. Any tips for the long flight and long trip???

Thanks in advance.

You are brave! We flew with our son lady year when he was three from DC to Orlando, and we were fearing the worse for weeks leading up to our trip - and, as it turned out, things went remarkably well... At least the flying part did :).

First, we bought him a small suitcase with rollers, which he filled with some of his favorite toys, stuffed teddy, pillow, and blanket, and he pulled this through the airport like a seasoned business man. It was too cute. He even took off his shoes at security, even though they told him he could leave them on (he saw everyone else doing it too).

Second, my wife bought him so new surprises (toys) to give him on the plane.

Third, I loaded up our two iPads with some of his favorite movies/shows.

All this work, and when he boarded the plane, he climbed into his seat and fell promptly asleep and slept until we reached Orlando. OK, he first tried to climb into a first class seat when he boarded (he knew a good thing when he saw it, and I think was slightly disappointed that his parents had not booked him in the better seats) :eek:

With your son, I think the toys may not work, but the iPad is still a great open - maybe load a new game or video on it as a surprise. Another thing I noticed on the Apple store is an app for kid's travel journal. That might be a great gift for your son - either the iPad journal, or an old fashioned paper one (google them), and this would give him something to capture all those special moments in Europe.

Is he interested in photography? I would have gotten our kids inexpensive digital cameras at that age (if they'd been around - kids are 39 and 40 now). He could start at the beginning of the trip and end up with some nice photos - the trip from his perspective.

I always make sure to have movies, games and activities for my son on planes. Movies he's never watched before (that he picked out) and also some familiar ones, card games, activitie books, puzzles, etc. He and I have been traveling on planes by ourselves since he was 9 months old. Our longest travel was about a 12 hour day. Not as long as your trip will be, but quite hairy, none the less. Your son is old enough that at least you won't have to content with a crying baby that you have to walk all over the plane until he finally falls asleep. But plenty of entertainment should keep him happy at his age.

• 2 weeks later...

We are thinking of booking the same cruise...except the end of July 2014. DD will be 6 as well. DH and I did a Med cruise in 2005, but this will be DD's first cruise, so the experience will be totally different I'm sure!

DD has been flying though since she was 3 months old, so she is used to it and great on planes. We bring new coloring/sticker books or pull out new little toys to keep her entertained. Many of the jets which fly overseas will have the individual TVs on the back of the seats, so that's always great entertainment as well. She is generally so excited about where we are going that she doesn't mind the flight at all. :)

Not a parent myself, but when I lived on Guam, one of my mom friends used to get a new backpack for each child when she flew to the mainland with them (about 24 hours with layovers). She would wrap little toys as presents and they each got to open one every so often. When they were a bit older she would bring portable dvd players with games and movies..and headphones, of course! She also brought a lot of little snack packs of their favorite treats.

Sticker and activity books are a good favourite with us (double up to take to dining room too) and my son has a wipe clean small white board for drawing, Playing games etc.

I would second the snacks and take a drinks bottle you can fill up past security for the journey.

Comfy clothes or even pjs are a definite too and maybe a small travel pillow. My son has a neck pillow which is a zebra cuddly toy.

On that note I would also talk him through how the airport works, why stuff goes through the x rays, where luggage goes on that belt at check in. That has caused anxieties for us too, LO used to create merry Hell when his beloved toy baby went through the X-ray.

Archived