Panamal Canal Excursions - Input Appreciated

TracyL

My husband and I will be taking a Panama Canal cruise in January, I think I’ve decided on most of our excursions, however, I would love input from those that have been to these ports before. I'm having a hard time narrowing down my choice for Cabo. I have decided on taking mostly ship sponsored tours, with one exception. The Puntarenas tour is through Cruisesonly. We have taken both ships tours and private tours in the past, however, my husband has early onset Alzheimer’s and is now a little paranoid about traveling out of the country, I think he will be more comfortable with ship sponsored tours.

The following are the tours I’m considering, any input would be appreciated.

Cartegena – Deluxe Cartagena & Fortress

Colon – Gamboa Aerial Tram (I want to do one Aerial Tram excursion, there is also one offered in Puntarenas, is one better than the other?

Puntarenas – Puntarena Area Highlights (Tarcoles River boat, sky walk, Santa Lucia, Molas & Coffee shop)

Puerto Quetzal – Colonial Antigua – Past and Present

Puerto Vallarta – PV Highlights and Shopping

Cabo San Lucas – Coastal Highlights Tour, Semi Sub Underwater Adventure or Zodiak Whale Watching

Hi Tracy,

So sorry about your husband but glad you are able to travel. We are doing the same cruise in Nov. so I will be following your post. My research so far has turned up several posts on these ports and excursions. You might want to check out the posts on each of the port boards under Ports of Call. I know there were posts on Cartagena and the tours that you might find helpful. Also if you go back a few posts, you will find one entitled Antugua, Guatemala (under the Panama board) which actually has quite a bit of info on other ports too. Check out the posts by Chip and Dale...lots of info in her posts as well as others. I will be looking for comments on your tour choices and I wish you both a wonderful cruise.

Sharon

Thank you for your response. It is a very difficult illness to deal with, however, he is still in good physical shape and at this point still has a good quality of life. We both enjoy traveling so I'm trying to take as many vacations as possible while he still can. I will check out the posts that you mentioned. Thanks again.

Colon – Gamboa Aerial Tram (I want to do one Aerial Tram excursion, there is also one offered in Puntarenas, is one better than the other?

Puntarenas – Puntarena Area Highlights (Tarcoles River boat, sky walk, Santa Lucia, Molas & Coffee shop)

Cabo San Lucas – Coastal Highlights Tour, Semi Sub Underwater Adventure or Zodiak Whale Watching

Tracy, Although this is a Panama port board there's lots of info here about various other ports on many Canal cruises. Cartegena - excellent choice! Old Cartegena is wonderful. Colon - Gamboa Aerial Tram is OK: the tram takes you up to an observation tower you must climb if you want a view of the Canal. It is a tour which involves an aerial tram but that really isn't the focus. In comparison, what I would recommend is Veragua Rainforest which has a really neat tram to take you down a hill to a spectacular waterfall area. It gives you the rain forest up close and personal and is totally accessible. I'd use my time in Panama for something else depending on your area of interest - History? Indigenous cultures? Wildlife? Colonial Antiqua is wonderful!

Regards, Richard

Thanks Richard, the only ship sponsored tour that mentions the rainforest (only says primary rainforest not Veragua) is the Rainforest Nature Hike and Gatun Locks. I hadn't planned to do a locks tour since our ship is doing the entire transit. Would you recommend this tour, or should I look outside of the ship sponsored tours for something?

Sorry Richard, I reread your post and realized I had misunderstood. If I take the Aerial Tram excursion in Puntarenas I will need to give up the Area Highlights Tour which includes the Tarcoles River and the Sky Way Walk, along with Santa Lucia. Is the Aerial Tramway a better choice?

Which of the following would you recommend for Panama?

Grand Tour of Panama - Includes Embera Indians, Gatun Lake & canal

Monkey Watch - High speed ride through canal, tour of Lake Gatun

Panama City Tour

Panama City Experience - Includes Miraflores Locks and sightseeing tour through Old Panama

Shaping of Panama - Ruins of churches and convents, colonial palaces, bridges and military buildings, Cinta Costera, Old French Quarter

Aquabus Amphibious City Tour

Expansion of the Panama Canal - The Present and the Future

I can tell already that I will want to go back, there are too man things to choose from.

Sorry Richard, I reread your post and realized I had misunderstood. If I take the Aerial Tram excursion in Puntarenas I will need to give up the Area Highlights Tour which includes the Tarcoles River and the Sky Way Walk, along with Santa Lucia. Is the Aerial Tramway a better choice?

Which of the following would you recommend for Panama?

Grand Tour of Panama - Includes Embera Indians, Gatun Lake & canal

Panama City Tour

Panama City Experience - Includes Miraflores Locks and sightseeing tour through Old Panama

Shaping of Panama - Ruins of churches and convents, colonial palaces, bridges and military buildings, Cinta Costera, Old French Quarter

Aquabus Amphibious City Tour

Expansion of the Panama Canal - The Present and the Future

I can tell already that I will want to go back, there are too man things to choose from.

Thanks Richard, the only ship sponsored tour that mentions the rainforest (only says primary rainforest not Veragua) is the Rainforest Nature Hike and Gatun Locks. I hadn't planned to do a locks tour since our ship is doing the entire transit. Would you recommend this tour, or should I look outside of the ship sponsored tours for something?

My bad: I was thinking Puerto Limon, not Puntarenas. I've not done the trip you are talking about in Puntarenas. But if you ever get the opportunity visit Veragua which is closer to Puerto Limon (Atlantic), not Puntarenas (Pacific) But I still don't think the Gamboa Aerial Tram is the best choice for Panama.

With Panama it really depends on your area of interest. Since you are doing a complete Canal transit, I don't think anything is gained by doing the Canal tour. Some ships have a lot of good lectures about the Canal en route, some don't. Just depends on whether the cruise line is more focused on ports or "talks to sell" on board services. I've not done the Aquabus type tours anywhere - well, once in Wisconsin, but they always seem to be based on the gimmick of the "bus" that floats. If you're interested in history I'd thing about the "Shaping of Panama" tour. "HIgh speed" monkey watch - really? "High speed"? If you really want to see monkeys check out Captain Carl's tour of Gatun Lake. I've done it several times. It used to be offered through the cruise lines, now you book it direct. When he started selling direct, not through cruise lines, cruise line tour operator came up with "Monkey Island." I personally haven't done it but if you do a search on this board you'll find mixed reviews.

The ALL DAY Authentic Embera Indian Village Tour is fantastic. It takes all day to get to the authentic villages. The "Grand Tour" goes to a "demonstration" (read "tourist") village, plus you'll experience the Canal from your ship and sail across Gatun Lake during your transit.

Good luck! And do plan to come back and when you do come up to the Chiriqui Highlands and visit.

Regards, Richard

Thanks for the response, I would love to come back some time, we are traveling as often as we can while we can, I'm not sure how long my husband will be able to travel so we are packing in as much as we can while we can.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I will be taking a Panama Canal cruise in January, I think I’ve decided on most of our excursions, however, I would love input from those that have been to these ports before. I'm having a hard time narrowing down my choice for Cabo. I have decided on taking mostly ship sponsored tours, with one exception. The Puntarenas tour is through Cruisesonly. We have taken both ships tours and private tours in the past, however, my husband has early onset Alzheimer’s and is now a little paranoid about traveling out of the country, I think he will be more comfortable with ship sponsored tours.

The following are the tours I’m considering, any input would be appreciated.

Tracyl,

I can understand your husband wanting ship sponsored tours. He is smart in realizing that he is not as mentally fit as he used to be. I have done to Panama Canal trips. One in 1995 and then again 2006. Be sure and read the Path between the Seas.

Here is just a report on our 2006 trip. On a complete transit we did not have an option for any local tours in Gamboa or Panama City or any other.

===============================================

MILLENNIUM- VALPARAISO TO FLL VIA PANAMA MARCH 19, 2006- APRIL 4, 2006

REPORT ON THE MILLENNIUM CRUISE FROM VALPARAISO, CHILE TO FORT LAUDERDALE, FL VIA THE PANAMA CANAL.

We arrived in Santiago and stayed again at the Santiago Sheraton hotel. Had nice lunch in the top of the San Christobal tower section of the hotel. What a beautiful view of the city which is 571 meters above sea level.

We went to the Los Dominicos market again and looked around and then walked through the local downtown section eating at a nice sidewalk café.

We had arrived on Friday March 17 and Saturday night we went to a local dinner show at Los de Adobes Argomedo and after the show had great fun dancing. The next day Sunday March 19, we had luggage picked up outside the room and we went on a private pre-arranged tour to Vina del Mar and Valparaiso being dropped off at the ship by 5:00 PM. This is about an 80 mile drive. We sailed just after 9:00 PM for Arica, Chile which is close to the border with Peru in the North of Chile. The shipboard atmosphere was jolly and we had a nice cruisecritic meeting with a very good attendance. Our captain Apostolos Bouzakis was a charming Greek fellow. Simon Weir was our cruise director and we had previously had him on another cruise when the Millennium sailed the Baltic Sea, her second voyage. He is the best. His brother Nick was the C.D on the South American Horn Cruise in February 2004, and is also very good. For a detailed report on the Millennium see: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=167

Wednesday March 22, after two wonderful sea days, we arrive in Arica, Chile at 7:00 AM. We had previously booked a short local ships tour of the city and the Geoglyphs in the area. It only lasted about 4 hours but did go up the El Morro mountain around some very winding curves on roads without guard rails. In Arica, they still talk very much about the Pacific War which was between Chile and Peru. We did not take the trip to the Lauca National Park which seemed to be a very long ride. We returned to the ship, had lunch and then walked back into the city and to the Main Street, which is kind of a hang out and pedestrian walkway. We returned to the ship and were scheduled to depart at 6:00 PM. We noticed that we were not departing but went to early main seating dinner. We went to the Celebrity Showroom after dinner to watch the Pampas Devils Argentina Tango show. While sitting in the showroom we were advised that around 4:30 PM a fatal accident occurred and 12 of our fellow passengers were killed while returning from a tour. We were delayed in Arica for 15 hours while the captain assisted those in need and the chief concierge left the ship to fly to the states and bring families of the deceased to Arica. A doctor and nurse from the ship were sent into town to the hospital to assist with the two injured passengers who had each lost their wives in the accident. For a video see: http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=2&pmmsid=1481730

We arrived in Callao, Peru at 11:00 AM Friday March 24, 2006 after two days at sea, four hours behind schedule, where I was to take a Nazca Lines tour. Due to the delay, the Nazca Lines tour that I had booked was cancelled and Celebrity credited my account ($535) for this one tour and in addition gave myself and my wife a free tour of Lima, Peru. (10 Kilometers from Callao). Celebrity was under no obligation to do this and had not had anything to do with booking the fatal tours. Everyone on board was proud of the way Celebrity handled the incident. We had a very nice tour of a very ancient city. We departed Callao, Peru at 8:00 PM.

On Sunday March 26th 8:00 AM after two days at sea, we arrived in Manta, Ecuador. We were aware of the high incidence of Malaria in this area, but the Plasmodium is transmitted by the Anopheles Mosquito which is really a night biter. We took no medication since we spent only the day there. Manta is the center for the Ecuadorian Tuna industry and is the home of Charlie Tuna. Manta has been a major port since the pre- Inca era. The road from Manta to Montecristi has many warehouses and factories related to the tuna fish industry. We visited a factory that processed the Aqua nut into the Ecuador marble and bought several of the small figurines. Montecristi is the home of the Panama Hats and we visited a market with many handicrafts including the famous Panama hats. A lot of the small children are trying to sell goods, but they are very polite and not pushy or aggressive. They are very beautiful people.

Tuesday, March 28 after two days at sea we arrived for the Panama Canal transit. My old map from 1995 did not have the new Centennial Bridge on it that was built in 2003, but otherwise was very helpful in letting us realize exactly where we were. I had previously made notes on the “Path between the Seas” which made the sacrifices of the people who built the “Big Ditch” much more impressive. It makes one realize that this is indeed a “Wonder of the World”. It takes about 8 hours to undergo the approximate 50 miles of the canal which runs from southeast (Pacific) to northwest (Atlantic). One can get confused at times if you see the sun setting in the East. Since 1999, the canal now totally belongs to Panama, but the U.S still has Howard Air Force Base close by for security. Apparently Japan and the United States are the biggest users of the Panama Canal. We entered the Miraflores locks (two locks) about 7:00 AM and then into Miraflores lake. We locked through the Pedro Miguel locks (one lock) to reach 85 feet above sea level in to the Culebra (meaning snake) Cut a 9 mile section crossing the continental divide and now named the Galliard cut after a Major Galliard. At the end of the Galliard cut is Gamboa and the portion of the Chagres River that feeds the Gatun Lake. There is another dam higher up on the Chagres River (Madden Dam) to help control this river that can had been known to rise 14 feet in 24 hours. While cruising the canal I took a picture of a tourist boat that I considered to be very overloaded with people and it was just about the time the ferry out of Bahrain had capsized because of being overloaded. What I saw in the Panama Canal was an accident looking for a place to happen.

Thursday, March 30 after another 2 days at sea, we arrived at Aruba at 7:00 AM. This is a long skinny island, but has some beautiful beaches. We elected to spend the day at MoomBa Beach located between the Holiday Inn and the Marriott Ocean club. This turned out to be a very comfortable beach with natural trees for shade. Lounges were free with purchase of drinks and food.

April 2, 2006 we arrived in Fort Lauderdale and after a nice breakfast on the balcony finally walked off the ship and flew home without any mishaps. It was a great cruise only marred by the terrible accident outside of Arica.

Joe Reynolds

Added: April 15th 2006

Reviewer: Joe Reynolds

Score:

Related Link: Related Pictures

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2782

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f6fe23a6e5a9ec3f#cid=F6FE23A6E5A9EC3F&id=F6FE23A6E5A9EC3F%211905

Hits: 42

Language: english

Tracy, Although this is a Panama port board there's lots of info here about various other ports on many Canal cruises. Cartegena - excellent choice! Old Cartegena is wonderful. Colon - Gamboa Aerial Tram is OK: the tram takes you up to an observation tower you must climb if you want a view of the Canal. It is a tour which involves an aerial tram but that really isn't the focus. In comparison, what I would recommend is Veragua Rainforest which has a really neat tram to take you down a hill to a spectacular waterfall area. It gives you the rain forest up close and personal and is totally accessible. I'd use my time in Panama for something else depending on your area of interest - History? Indigenous cultures? Wildlife? Colonial Antiqua is wonderful!

Regards, Richard

How high are they? Do they seem safe?

How high are they? Do they seem safe?

High enough: up in the tree tops. Yes, they "seem" safe. I assume they have some kind of inspection, but as anywhere in the world . . . There is a certain amount of risk once you get up in the morning and walk out of your front door, let alone onto a cruise ship, or engage in a ship-sponsored or independent tour. Regards, Richard

I wonder if they really go through canal.:confused:

They do in a manner of speaking. The trip will take you through a portion of the Canal which is in Gatun Lake, not the whole Canal or even all of the Gatun Lake portion of the Canal. A portion of the tour will be in the main shipping channel and if luck is with you, it's possible to be up close and personal with some ocean going traffic.

They do in a manner of speaking. The trip will take you through a portion of the Canal which is in Gatun Lake, not the whole Canal or even all of the Gatun Lake portion of the Canal. A portion of the tour will be in the main shipping channel and if luck is with you, it's possible to be up close and personal with some ocean going traffic.

thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Have you done this tour? Do you get to see some monkeys? Is it worthwhile? I was looking into this as a possible tour we are on the Coral in Nov. doing a partial transit and are having a hard time deciding what to do my husband isn't really into seeing the natives and we live right next to the Welland canal and see how the locks work all the time, so were trying to decide on something different. Any info would help.

Have you done this tour? Do you get to see some monkeys? Is it worthwhile? I was looking into this as a possible tour we are on the Coral in Nov. doing a partial transit and are having a hard time deciding what to do my husband isn't really into seeing the natives and we live right next to the Welland canal and see how the locks work all the time, so were trying to decide on something different. Any info would help.

Being honest, I have not been on the tour, but I used to operate my own boat in the same area so I am familiar with what you will see. I'm sure you will see some monkeys since they are used to being fed. The tour is worthwhile to the extent you will see some of the country and a bit of the Canal from a slightly different perspective, it's interesting but I don't feel it it is one of the "prime" tours. If you are looking for something else for the Canal stop, consider The Shaping of Panama, or something similar, different cruise lines have a slightly different moniker for the tour. Basically it is a tour of Panama City which includes the Casco Antiguo, the ruins of Old Panama and the modern Panama City. There is quite a contrast as to what you will see on the Atlantic side as compared to the Pacific side's Panama City.

Even though you live near the Welland Canal, don't completely discount the Canal transit by ferry tour. Sure the locks operate the same way as the Welland, but the Pacific side is the more scenic part of the Canal. In addition to locking through the two locks on the Pacific side you will sail under two impressive bridges plus transit the Gaillard Cut where the bulk of excavation to place to build the Canal. Just food for thought.

Being honest, I have not been on the tour, but I used to operate my own boat in the same area so I am familiar with what you will see. I'm sure you will see some monkeys since they are used to being fed. The tour is worthwhile to the extent you will see some of the country and a bit of the Canal from a slightly different perspective, it's interesting but I don't feel it it is one of the "prime" tours. If you are looking for something else for the Canal stop, consider The Shaping of Panama, or something similar, different cruise lines have a slightly different moniker for the tour. Basically it is a tour of Panama City which includes the Casco Antiguo, the ruins of Old Panama and the modern Panama City. There is quite a contrast as to what you will see on the Atlantic side as compared to the Pacific side's Panama City.

Even though you live near the Welland Canal, don't completely discount the Canal transit by ferry tour. Sure the locks operate the same way as the Welland, but the Pacific side is the more scenic part of the Canal. In addition to locking through the two locks on the Pacific side you will sail under two impressive bridges plus transit the Gaillard Cut where the bulk of excavation to place to build the Canal. Just food for thought.

Thanks so much for the input

• 3 weeks later...

Richard, I have enjoyed your book about the Panama canal cruise. Just wanted to know what sites I Have to see in Cartegena? Trying to figure out the Princess excursions options. Looking forward to my partial in Nov.

Richard, I have enjoyed your book about the Panama canal cruise. Just wanted to know what sites I Have to see in Cartegena? Trying to figure out the Princess excursions options. Looking forward to my partial in Nov.

Lottorus, The old section of Cartegena is wonderful and not to be missed. Most of the ship tours include it. I've been to Cartegena a number of times but if it were me going back I'd just take a cab and spend the day exploring and enjoying the old section. Most of the tours drag you to some emerald store. Regards, Richard

PS. Glad you enjoyed my CRUISING THE PANAMA CANAL book! The more you know before you go the better your Canal cruise will be.

I agree with Richard .Just get a cab and go to old city. Spend as much time as you can there.Its beautiful . you dont need excursion ,they will stop by vendors :mad: and drive you to DT Emerlad shops:mad:

• 1 month later...

Richard, Help Please!

My husband & I are taking a full-transit canal cruise from North to South (San Diego to Miami) in April 2014 on Celebrity Infinity.

DH has Parkinson's Disease: the shuffle & blocking, not the shaking type; he uses a rollator type of walker. Some days he can follow, some days he can't but we never know ahead of time so we have to plan as if it were one of his "off" days. We certainly do not wish to slow down other passengers on shore excursions. It simply wouldn't be fair .But crossing the Panama Canal is on his bucket list, so we're doing it. We would truly appreciate it & be grateful if you would be so kind as to suggest what type ofshore excursion we should take in Colon and Puntarenas.Have searched a lot but not come up with any answers that would allow us to enjoy new expériences without hampering anyone else.

In Puerto Quetzal we are taking the ship's bus ride into Antigua where we will hire a taxi and visit the old city at our rythm. In Cartagena, we are taking Dora's tour with other passengers and DH will stay in the bus while the rest of us do the more strenuous part of the tour

Have both read your book and enjoyed it tremendously.

Your input and insight would be of great help. Should you prefer to communicate with us privately our email addy is chezgirard at cgocable dot ca.

Thanks ever so much. If you feel this is too personal a request please ignore it. We do not wish to impose.

Jocelyn

Archived