Pantyhose or not?

Does everyone/anyone wear pantyhose with their formal cocktail dresses on formal night? Also wondering if it is okay NOT to wear them to casual night dinners if I am wearing a sundress? I simply just don't know if my dresses will look nice without pantyhouse (I am very fair skinned), but I don't want to be the only one wearing them either because they are so uncomfortable!

Does everyone/anyone wear pantyhose with their formal cocktail dresses on formal night? Also wondering if it is okay NOT to wear them to casual night dinners if I am wearing a sundress? I simply just don't know if my dresses will look nice without pantyhouse (I am very fair skinned), but I don't want to be the only one wearing them either because they are so uncomfortable!

I think it a personal choice about hose. When I turned 45 I gave myself the present of never having to wear pantyhose ever again no matter what the occasion. I wear dresses/skirts everyday to work with heels. When I cruise my formals are long so not much of my leg shows anyway. With my sundresses I wear sandals. But I shave every day, tan every week, have toned legs from working out and always get a pedicure before I cruise. Every week between special occasions I give myself a pedicure so my toes always look good.

You should wear what's most comfortable and what looks best on you. While the trend is that less women wear them now, that means it's okay NOT to wear them, when many years ago a woman was considered not dressed up if she was bare legged. Today, that's no longer true and it's perfectly fine to be in black tie w/ dressy sandals and bare legs.

My opinion is that some women need hose to make their legs look better and looking better is never out of style.

What doesn't look right are many of the styles of todays shoes worn with hose. For example, a mule/open back shoe or very strappy sandal doesn't work well with hose. So, it's not a matter of hose being in or out of style, it's a matter of making sure you don't wear shoes that really only look well on bare feet.

Wear hose if you feel your legs look better in them. Just make sure you're wearing shoes that look well with them.

Jane

Thanks for the responses. I think I will go without. One less thing to pack. They are such a pain to get on and they are so uncomfortable. While I do feel like my legs are toned because I also exercise every day (or try to, lol), I am very pale. I try to stay out of the sun because I have a lot of freckles, so I am very self conscious about them on my legs too. But you gals talked me into it. I'm not going to mess with them. I will definitely be wearing sandals with all my dresses.

Can you spell y-e-a-s-t infection? Sorry to be crude and sorry men...jump out of this thread while you can! :D

I am of the strong belief that if men had to wear panty hose, they would be much more comfortable, breath better and they would actually wear skirts! Wearing panty hose in 90 deg temps is just an invitation for discomfort. I have not worn panty hose in over 5 years and I live in Canada where the weather doesn't always agree with my choices.

I decided years ago to wear dresses or skirts only as long as I could stand the cold, then I would switch to pants. I usually last from about April til November. I have even worn very formal pants outfits to very formal company Christmas parties just to avoid the hose.

A big of sunless tanning lotion or a couple of sessions at the fake n' bake before your cruise should to just the job you need on your legs.

With that said, if support hose are what you need, then go for it. Coming from a family where varicose veins run rampant (myself excluded, thank goodness) I get the need for the support. There isn't much you can do about that.

When I shop for a dress, I always shop with the thought of avoiding pantyhose. Of course, there are some dresses that just look better with them and some shoes you just cannot wear without hose. I usually end up with long dresses or pants outfits to avoid pantyhose. Of course, I do have a few dresses that I love and wear the hose, those end up being the early nights. Don't get me started on fit, that has nothing to do with it, I cannot stand the feeling of hosiery next to my skin. I get the sheerest, silkiest ones I can find.

So, it really depends on you and the dress and the shoes. I personally feel that sun dresses look a little weird with hose.

Why not try a self tanner, some of the new ones don't turn orange like they did a few years ago.

Pantyhose are not at all required for a dressy or formal outfit anymore. If you want to wear them, fine. If not, no harm done. I'm sure no one will notice.

I do believe some dresses, especially silk and satin ones, look better with pantyhose. The dress lays better when you are all "tucked in". However, you can also wear a control garment like Spanx and still be able to wear open toed shoes.

In the end, it just matters what you want more - style or comfort. I usually go for comfort in the end.

Ooh how I hate to wear them. I can't think of anything much worse than being bound up all night.Even if you don't get a tan, who will notice.

Everyone is on vacation to have a good time and will not be worried about who does and does not have tan legs or hose on. I know I didn't notice such things on my last cruise.

Have a great trip and leave the hose at home!:)

I love nylons & stockings... they are sexy... in summer (or hot cruise) I wear the stay ups ~ stockings with the lace tops to them... pretty!

I am not knocking anyone who goes barelegged, it's just for me I prefer to wear them.

I also do garters sometimes :D

Why not try a self tanner, some of the new ones don't turn orange like they did a few years ago.

Thanks for the advice. I am definitely going to not wear hose, I will find some nice sandals.

P.S., Any recommendations on a brand of self-tanner?

Neutrogena self-tanner is great. I use the micro-mist level 2 on my legs only, which gives just enough color for me not to feel "winter white" but not so dark that it looks fake. It's not orange and you don't even have to use your hands to spread it on.

Buy a can and try it out once or twice before you cruise.

Neutrogena self-tanner is great. I use the micro-mist level 2 on my legs only, which gives just enough color for me not to feel "winter white" but not so dark that it looks fake. It's not orange and you don't even have to use your hands to spread it on.

Buy a can and try it out once or twice before you cruise.

Thank you so much springirl62 :)

Last night I wore a pink knee-length dress to a graduation party (with pink kitten-heeled mules). I have tanned my legs and put on a shimmer lotion by Jergens that has tiny gold flecks in it. My husband asked me if I was wearing pantyhose. I just hate the way the hose dig into my stomach, so uncomfortable.

That is true...those lace top thigh-highs are pretty hot...

I agree they are sexy, and for any of you who have seen the movie "The Notebook", when he peels her thigh-high stockings off her... oh my gosh!! But the only reason I ever wear pantyhose is to smooth out any lumpy spots, and thigh highs don't do that. I also don't think pantyhose, no matter how sexy, looks good with open toed shoes, and most of my shoes are open toed.

I think most women still need to wear pantyhose to complete the formal outfit. I wear pantyhose and do not find them so uncomfortable, I also wear them under cetain pants outfits . I think they make my legs look so much better. As far as sandals, the sheer hose are barely noticeable at the toe. You need to purchase the right skin tone and put them on correctly. I like to wear a higher end hose, they are silkier against my legs.

I see way too many women without hose, white legs, bumpy legs , pantyhose improve the way our legs look.

I agree with above. I maybe my age but I love the look of silky hose to complete an outfit. Had my son's date for semi arrive in below zero weather with bare legs......in the snow and sandals, DD tells me I'm out of date. I will be wearing silky hose to formal night and will feel beautiful. That's the name of the game isn't ladies.!!!:)

Maybe I'm just conditioned by too many years of wearing hose to the office, but I actually feel uncomfortable not wearing hose under a dress (unless it's hot and humid). However, I'd never wear hose under a pantsuit!

Archived