Question on Bordeaux excursion

marypatrick

We are on the Pride in September for a 2 week cruise. One of the Bordeaux excursions is a tour/tasting/formal dinner at Chateau Giscours. We are considering it and have some questions.

Has anyone ever been on this excursion? What did you think of what was offered? How large is the group for dinner? Was is special enough for the cost?

Thanks

MP

We did it. The general opinion was that the dinner was nice but it was not that superior to the dinner on the ship, and Seabourn ended up giving a 50% discount to the people on the excursion. Thought that was fair. If they still have the winery tour with Dewey Markham, go on that. It was excellent!!!

I don't believe it should be compare rto dinner on the ship because anyone who overnights in Bordeaux and doesn't take advantage of one of its fabulous restaurants is missing a lot. Personally, I much prefer to tour wineries during the day and dine in a great restaurant at night. In the end it will probably not cost any more.

Of course, given the uncertain tides of the river where it meets the Atlantic you may end up not arriving in Bordeaux until after 10PM and missing your whole first day there.I must say given the circumstances we were very fortunate that the private tour guide we had made arrangements with for a private tour on that first day was willing to accommodate us the second day. I am sorry that we only ended up with one day there as the city seemed quite inviting and I would have loved to have had more opportunity to explore.

Of course, given the uncertain tides of the river where it meets the Atlantic you may end up not arriving in Bordeaux until after 10PM and missing your whole first day there.I must say given the circumstances we were very fortunate that the private tour guide we had made arrangements with for a private tour on that first day was willing to accommodate us the second day. I am sorry that we only ended up with one day there as the city seemed quite inviting and I would have loved to have had more opportunity to explore.

Correct Chairsin, tidal condiitons into Bordeaux are very unpredictable.

I only mention it because it is important to not have your heart set on something you have planned to do there, to have a back up plan and make sure any tour guide you have booked will refund your money if you can't make it.

Archived