Am I wrong?? Upgrade with ES..frustrated with Carnival customer service

tasmith09

Situation: We are booked in a spa interior on Sunshine January 12 for $1198 for the two of us.

After reading the sunshine spa comments, we decided to switch to an oceanview on deck 2, which right now is the same price under the past guest promotion.

I used carnival's website to have a PVP call me (http://www.carnival.com/bonvoyage/cms/fun/click2_call/default.aspx) in hopes that I would get someone knowledgeable. She told me that because it was an "upgrade" that I didn't qualify for the past guest price. She tried to explain it to me but I just got confused.

Am I wrong or is she? Please help!

I don't think you can upgrade under the ES rate unless you actually pay for an upgrade. They won't move you to an upgraded cabin under the same fare, you'd have to upgrade where you actually have to pay additional.

At least that's how I understand the ES rate, but you may find someone at Carnival that will do it either way.

Ah, here it is, from the terms and conditions:

Subsequent upgrades in lieu of price protection will no longer be offered.

The entire small print is here: http://www.carnival.com/legal/specials-terms-conditions.aspx

I don't think you can upgrade under the ES rate unless you actually pay for an upgrade. They won't move you to an upgraded cabin under the same fare, you'd have to upgrade where you actually have to pay additional.

At least that's how I understand the ES rate, but you may find someone at Carnival that will do it either way.

Ah, here it is, from the terms and conditions:

The entire small print is here: http://www.carnival.com/legal/specials-terms-conditions.aspx

Thank you, this clarifies things. Silly rule, considering ES is supposed to be the lowest price guaranteed, but at least they have it in writing.

Years ago we were booked in aft extended balcony on the Conquest, we booked under early saver rate. Two weeks before our cruise a aft wrap opened up and we upgraded to that cabin, which was cheaper than what we were paying for the aft extended. The cheaper price was a past guest rate, the lady I talked to at Carnival switched our cabin for us and told us to fill out a price protection form. I filled out the form and explained everything in the comments box and we received $180 obc price difference.

Years ago we were booked in aft extended balcony on the Conquest, we booked under early saver rate. Two weeks before our cruise a aft wrap opened up and we upgraded to that cabin, which was cheaper than what we were paying for the aft extended. The cheaper price was a past guest rate, the lady I talked to at Carnival switched our cabin for us and told us to fill out a price protection form. I filled out the form and explained everything in the comments box and we received $180 obc price difference.

They used to do this, as far as I understand, but changed the rules early this year or late last year, when they changed the fares around.

They used to do this, as far as I understand, but changed the rules early this year or late last year, when they changed the fares around.

That is correct. When they introduced the new rate schedule on December 3rd of last year the "free" upgrades were discontinued....even if you are a Past Guest. However Carnival is inconsistent with enforcing that rule as I've read of people on these boards still getting the upgrades.

That is correct. When they introduced the new rate schedule on December 3rd of last year the "free" upgrades were discontinued....even if you are a Past Guest. However Carnival is inconsistent with enforcing that rule as I've read of people on these boards still getting the upgrades.

I don't really understand this because on the "price protection form" is has a place to "check" OBC or Upgrade.

From what I remember about the ES Rate change was that if you were already booked as ES prior to the change that you could still request upgrades but not if you booked after the rate change went into effect. So maybe the upgrade question is still on the form because if people booked ES prior to Dec. 3 2012 the old rules still apply for their booking and they may want an upgrade. JMHO.

All this sounds funny. I have a 4J and since that cat is sold out I am not eligible for a price drop but when the OV rooms dropped below what I paid they said they could upgrade me to an OV for the lesser fair. I did not take it since I am in a 4J up on panorama and to upgrade I would have to go down to main or rivera deck. Not an upgrade in my eyes.

For the Conquest 8/18/13 sailing, I had booked a 4c interior. The o ean views dropped to the exact same price so I called and was immediately upgraded to a 6a oceanview withoutso much as a comment about not supposed to be allowed to upgrade. Is that the normal or should I have technically not been able to do that? After reading this thread, I am leaning toward the latter.

I think and this is just my opinion - is that you are booked interior. and you are asking to move to OV. It reads something that the upgrade is for same catagory. But I agree - if you are in a 4S - and the OV are less - they should upgrade you if you want to move. An OV is supposed to be always more/an upgrade over any 1A or 4.

Keep trying and ask to talk to a supervisor. Is the difference enough to lose the $50 pp to cancel and rebook? Threaten to cancel and take the loss and see what happens.

Boarding Liberty on Saturday. Originally booked an 8A back in January and since, with ES, have gotten $140 OBC and upgraded to 8E. The upgrade was done at the time where the promotion was all balcony cabins were the same price, purchasing an 8A fare entitled you to an upgrade to 8E...maybe in those instances, the upgrade is allowed?

Just wanted to come back and update. I called again today, just the regular customer service # this time, and was successful at upgrading to an oceanview. Wasn't a problem at all, we now owe $20 less, and have a better room.

I guess, like usual, its just a matter of who you talk to. The woman I talked to was extremely helpful and made it a point to make sure that our OBC from booking onboard last cruise didn't disappear.

The form still has the box to check for upgrading if your price drops.

I would send in the form to the price drop group and see if you get it.

They are a separate dept from the reps who answer phones and often give what the reps say no to.

I just switched from the Freedom to the Breeze, and I had early saver. I booked at the ES rate and then requested the past guest rate once I was booked. I had no trouble at all. So switch to the other cabin and then request the price drop on the past guest rate.

~~Ashley~~

PARROTHEAD AND JIMMY BUFFET LOVER - HE'S MY HERO - WHO BETTER TO ADMIRE?

Eastern Caribbean on the Freedom - December 14, 2013

Western Caribbean on the Liberty - December 15, 2012

Western Caribbean on the Glory - December 11, 2011

Western Caribbean on the Valor - December 12, 2010

Just wanted to come back and update. I called again today, just the regular customer service # this time, and was successful at upgrading to an oceanview. Wasn't a problem at all, we now owe $20 less, and have a better room.

I guess, like usual, its just a matter of who you talk to. The woman I talked to was extremely helpful and made it a point to make sure that our OBC from booking onboard last cruise didn't disappear.

Good for you!! Keep watching for the price drops.

Archived