I could cry . . .

ElaineB2

Does your body shape start changing in your 40s? I'm 41 and I feel like my whole body shape has changed and I feel fatter & look fatter at the same weight than I used to. Is this normal? I'm so disgusted and mad I could cry. We leave on 6/20 for Alaskan cruise. I've been trying since Feb. to lose weight. I lost 15 lbs. fairly quickly, and then hit a plateau and got disgusted so the sensible eating would be on again off again. I've been faithful for the past few weeks and still haven't lost anything. I can't find anything to fit me right. My waist is smaller than my hips & thighs - if it fits my waist it's tight in my thighs. I've been trying lose weight without exercise and I know that I can't do that anymore. Maybe if I walk everyday until we cruise that will help with a few pounds. I was hoping to get into the formal that I wore for our last 4 day cruise and then buy 1 more. Can't get into it and can't find anything that I like. Help!!!!! icon_mad.gif

Maybe your shape has changed a bit with age. I have the same problem as you, small waist large hips and thighs. And like you, I'm finally being forced to admit that you can't do it with diet alone. You need some form of regular exercise. Did I say that??? icon_confused.gif

Before you start anything you might want to consider a complete check-up. At 41 it's very probable that your hormone levels are fluctuating. That would make a small problem seem like an insurmountable mountain. Tell your doctor how you're feeling. Then get busy and find a plan you can live with.

If you need a shoulder to cry on or someone to cheer you on, this is the place. icon_smile.gif

Beth

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;10;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Mariner of the Seas Reali-Tini Cruise Oct. 16/05

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you BUT I sure can relate. If it fits in the waist then the hips are tight. I keep promising myself to try the "E" word. Arghhhhhh Does anyone have any excercise suggestions for the hips???? icon_frown.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;15;6;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Diamond Princess

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Being the "old lady" here, (almost 62,OMG!) let me advise you not to fret. It is a fact of life! Our bodies do change. I think what we need most is a good dress maker!!! I used to love to shop...not anymore! I know a few good "names" fit me..I go for them ...on sale! Beth, do they have Olsen where you live? One of our Bay stores has an Olsen boutique (this is European, not the American Sigmond Olsen).They have a lovely line...and it fits! Claibourne also fits. So does Betty Barclay (expensive, German, I think)The German clothes fit better (they must be bigger,there!!!!)I used to love Steillmann, but now they seem to have a "younger", sleeker look.Oh, and at a lower price....Bianca Nygard fits! Once I wanted a blazer. Tried on all the "better" ones..no luck. But theirs were very roomy at the hips.This is also Canadian.

We were in the U.S. last weekend. I thought I may buy a pantsuit. I tried on a size 12 jacket...didn't button at the hips. So tried on the size 14...same story..meanwhile large and sloppy on top. Not for me! Very frustrating.

Now we have 3 weddings coming up in the fall. I haven't bought anything formal in years. It's time. I really dread it.

Final word...let's just wear a big smile!!!!!

babylene - I haven't heard of those designers -we have Nygard in the States but it is just Nygard not Bianca Nygard - not sure if it's the same thing. I did order some clothes from Nordstrom the other day and surprisingly everything fit in a 14 - I'm just not pleased with the way I look in a 14 - guess it's up to me to do the rest icon_rolleyes.gif - will need to start exercising. I'll just look on the bright side - at least it's not a Caribean cruise we are going on where I have to bear alot of skin icon_eek.gif- it's Alaska, but I STILL want to feel good about myself in what I do put on. Thanks for all the support.

Ditto what Beth said. I finilly broke down and started walking. I walk 2 1/2 to 3 miles a day. I've worked up to 5 or 6 times a week. But, I must admit I've had a health problem for the last month. Depresion set in and I haven't walked in a week. Now you have me feeling guilty. Hope it is enough to get me out there tommorrow. I feel the thighs getting tighter as I type

Melody

Paradise, 9-5-04

Holiday, 4-10-04

Inspiration, 11-30-03

Inspiration, 1-26-03

Victory,3-31-02

Sensation, 11-28-98

Holiday, 3-19-94

I have a lot of Tony Little video tapes and used to use them everyday before work. I had no problem staying in shape with them. That was at least 10 years ago. Maybe I need to get them out again.

I walked 18 holes on the golf course yesterday and calculated I walked over 5 miles. I could hardly move last night though. It was a 2 Advil night. icon_biggrin.gif

I have grown to detest shopping and only do it when I absolute have no other choice. Then I tend to buy Liz Claiborne, Nygard or my favourite Sunny Choi. But most of my clothes are bought when I'm in the States, especially shoes. I have an awful time finding size 5 up here and when I do, they're always over $150 a pair.

Beth

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;10;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Beth - Wow, I'll bet you were sore! I walked yesterday, only for 1/2 hour though. I'm going to do it again this evening. I like to wait till after about 5:00 - too humid during the day.

You have tiny feet - my gosh, I wear a Size 9. Is it any less expensive to order on the internet? I guess you'd still pay the Canadian price.

I've been on a catalog ordering spree. A few things I got from Nordstrom worked out real well. Yesterday, my LL Bean order came and I absolutely love the cotton twill side zip pants - they look good and feel so good moving in them (a little Lycra). Also ordered a few gowns from Sophisticated Lady on the internet yesterday - hope they fit. My son answered the door yesterday when FedEx arrived and asked how long these boxes are going to keep arriving! I am paying small fortune in shipping, but at least I'm finding a few things.

Time for another glass of water!

You know Elaine, so many people comment on my small feet as if it's a good thing, but it's not. I've checked online too. The problem is that a lot of companies don't or can't ship to Canada, Walmart included. Can you believe that? We have them here too, so I don't get it. Anyway, customs and excise taxes apply and the rate depends on where the goods were manufactured and where the raw products were made. Case in point, I ordered two bras from Victoria's Secret a few years ago. One was completely US made and the taxes were reasonable. The other one had a tiny bit of lace from an Asian country and by the time the taxes were added that bra more than doubled in price. icon_eek.gif Now I just wait until I'm down or order here and have the shipment sent to my DD in Florida where I'll pick it up eventually. Hmmm - got a little bit long-winded didn't I? icon_biggrin.gif

Beth

Good morning ladies. I want to cry this AM. I had far too much salt over the weekend. Showing a 3 pound gain!! Yikes.

I'm 52 years old. It seems that once I hit 40, my body also changed drastically. Now that I've gotten through menopause, it's even more of a challenge to lose weight and keep it off.

This past week since school let out I've been working hard in the front yard putting in plants, etc. But I guess the exercise is not enough. Today is Bruce's birthday and we're planning a trip to Busch Gardens to celebrate. I'll do a lot of walking and bring my own drinking water. Hoping that helps. But I'm also about ready to get on the exercise bike before we go.

About cruising to Alaska, I'm thinking that with the cold, I won't be showing much skin either. I had hoped to drop below 140 for this cruise. Then I could eat and not feel guilty. Well, today I weigh 148!! That just is not going to work. In three weeks I'll be lucky to take off the 3 pounds I gained on the weekend!

I also want to cry. Boo-hoo! I need to exercise.

Cathy

bandc.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2211ff&cdt=2004;06;27;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until our **STAR** search

Seattle to Alaska on NCL Star

June 27, 2004

Fantasy 12/25/03

Inspiration 4/13/03

NCL Majesty 12/27/02

Jubilee 3/23/02

Norwegian Sea 11/23/01

Cathy if it's really water weight, it will come off quickly. Give it a couple of days. Coffee also helps your body release it. Don't give up. icon_smile.gif

Beth

Beth, have you checked out Newport News (www.newport-news.com)? They have size 5 shoes, and they even have Canadian customer service! Their shipping details say that if you check our through their Canadian ordering page, it will give you shipping charges before you actually order. It's one of my favorite websites to order from because they have all kind of sizes. I hope that helps!

Cathy, I've been to the Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, and I loved it! They had it arranged by country (not sure if Busch Gardens in FL is similar), and I found the best mask art in one of the Italian shops. I hope you have a good time, and maybe even lose some more weight! icon_biggrin.gif

9/20/04 Sovereign of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;9;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500Roll Call

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Cathy - What level do you teach - college, HS, etc? I'm sure all the walking at Busch Gardens will burn off the water weight. Have fun!

Beth - I didn't realize taxes, etc. were so high to ship to Canada - what a shame!

Well, I think that just "talking" to everyone on this board helped the other day. I've walked the past 2 days in a row and know that I will do it again this evening (feel motivated to do so), have been drinking plenty of water and really watching very closely what I put in my mouth. It's now or never - I've only got 20 days left!

NO crying allowed!

We all try our best! Our bodies do change with AGE..everything goes south..what's wrong with the north? icon_biggrin.gif Also we have hormones, childbirth

and all the stuff we go thru!

It's a fact. that a lot of people that can be the same weight and the same sizes don't fit like they did before. Exercise helps some but ladies it's our bodies..we're stuck with them!

SO ALL WE CAN TO IS EXERCISE EAT RIGHT< DRINK THAT WATER AND LEARN TO LIVE WITH OUR SELVES!

The other part, when we eat to much and gain, we deal with it..we're human can't be perfect all the time! Just get back on track!

I'm definitely found out over about the past 5 years when I gain then lose and reach a certain weight AGAIN I feel a little bigger at that weight than I did before and clothes that used to fit don't! I guess that's partly what I get for playing the yo-yo game - the other part is age. (Hope this makes sense - I don't know that I'm explaining it the right way).

Elaine you explained it right.

We've all done the yo-yo thing.

Know that's why some of us find it so hard to lose weight, low metabolism plus all the other things metion above!

Hey "girls" WE really go thru a lot! icon_biggrin.gif

But we're the "stronger" sex..we won't give up!

We keep trying to lose weight..keep healthy..

WE can do it! We're in this TOGETHER!

YA YA Sisterhood! icon_smile.gif

Well another tiny waist bigger butt, hips and thighs girl. I wear an 8-10 bottem and a size 4 top. It stinks and I hate my legs! I just turned 40 and everything in my body has changed. Need more sleep and whenever I exert myself every muscle needs advil. This makes me depressed and weapy because I am such a type a hyper person and don't like being slowed down. I gained 4 lbs in one day yesterday...hope it's fluid retention. Wah...one more month till sailing 7/03 on caribbean princess to lose 8lbs

Speaking of heavy thights..... icon_redface.gif Does anyone know of an exercise that works in that area? Even though I've really been watching what I eat, I feel heavier than I ever have in my life. I don't get it. icon_confused.gif

Beth

I am in 41, and starting notice things going south, too. I started taking pilates classes, several months ago. What a difference! Pilates involves concentrated exercises, along with deep stretching. I highly recommend trying it.

I know I won't ever have the body I had in my twenties, but I am just trying to be the best I can at 41!

Another small waist, big hips, rear, and thighs gal checking in! The style of low ride pants fashionable right now would be great, if only I was in shape enough to wear them! Thanks so much for all the clothing brand suggestions.

I think shrinking hips would take some type of weight or resistance training, like pilates. Right now I'm doing "8 Minutes in the Morning", which is just two different exercises every morning. I love the slight sore feeling afterwards and starting the day with a little exercise feels great. I just started a few weeks ago, but I'll let you all know if/when results show.

Good luck everyone and take care!

Michele

10/04 - Caribbean Princess

1/03 - Carnival Victory

6/89 - Chandris SS Britanis

I definitely agree with Linda(&John) about Pilates. I took one 6-week session in Feb/Mar. I could really see where doing it on a continual basis would make a difference. But, I was lazy I guess and didn't take another class. (Did have a lot going on at that time). The best thing for me right now is actually walking. I have some pretty serious back problems and have lost a lot of strength in my lower body as a result. I've noticed since I started walking last Sat. that I can really feel it in my buttocks and lower back. I just need to be dedicated, but for some reason I always find an excuse.

I am going to join the Thurs. AM weigh in. I think it will help. I've noticed a big difference in my motivation to watch what I eat & walk ever since I posted this "I could cry" post last Sat. I think it helps just to know that other people struggle too. Thanks for the motivation ladies!

• 2 weeks later...

Beth, I was in Holt's last weekend....and I saw Sunny Choi (the clothes, not the person). I thought of you right away! There were lots of clothes on sale, but not the Choi. It was quite pricey. Where do you buy it? Is it Canadian? Thanks.

Oh Baby you made my little heart flutter. icon_biggrin.gif I Love Sunny Choi and I'm not surprized it wasn't on sale. Yes she's Canadian, one of the best designers in the country IMO. She designs for real women, not the off-the-wall kind of thing you see on TV. Her clothes are a lot like the classic St Laurent. Our city doesn't have a Holt's. Thank goodness! But there is a clothing district in Toronto on Spadina Ave where you can get her designs at a good price. Well let's just say a good price for her clothes. Alas, DH has banished me for a while. icon_frown.gif

Beth

<font face='Comic Sans MS' color=6B8E23><font size="2">

<marquee width=50%>Until Mariner Reali-tini Cruise</marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=6B8E23&cdt=2005;10;16;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

CLICK HERE for the ROLL CALL

<center>realitini1.jpg

realitini2.gif

realitini3.gif</CENTER>

<font size="1">

I'm going to keep an eye on Holt's.Maybe they'll go on sale. I don't have plans to go to T.O. in the near future.

I have 3 weddings coming up this fall and I need something new. It's so hard to find. I say that everything is made for rich, skinny people!!!!

Archived