Juneau Museum

Luvsprincess

Is the Juneau Museum worth going to?

I assume you mean the Juneau-Douglas City Museum, rather than the Alaska State Museum which is also in Juneau? We went to both last year, and I preferred the Alaska State Museum, but the Juneau-Douglas Museum also had some nice displays. It wasn't a waste of time, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there either. We have been to Juneau several times and have done a lot of the excursions that we wanted to do, so we just wanted a laid-back day of walking around and seeing the town. The museums were an interesting part of our day. We also went to the Red Dog, so now I've marked that off my list and don't ever have to go again. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Yes, it's within easy walking distance, assuming no mobility problems. Take the scenic route coming back - pick up a Juneau city map and go by the old Russian orthodox church, the state capitol, etc.

The Alaska State Museum is well worth a visit. Can't speak to the other one.

So is the Alaska State Museum within easy walking distance of the port? Or is there bus service from the port there? Thanks in advance.

Well, as I said, we walked there. Distance depends on which dock you are at. Between 1/2 - 1 mile. Further if you are at the far AJ dock but I think you can get a shuttle into town from there. (maybe with a small fee) From most docks it should be an easy, level 15-20 minute walk.

Both the Alaska State museum and the Juneau-Douglas museum are quite walkable from the downtown area in fact I pushed DW in a wheelchair to both. The State museum is excellent however the city museum is not as good. That said, the city museum does show an excellent video on the history of the area.

I enjoyed the state museum. I'd say it is about a 15 minute walk from the docks. If you want to go to the city museum, capital or other sights that are up the hill, you can get there by taking the elevator in the state building which has an exit at the top instead of taking the steep stairs or streets. Here are some pictures from the state museum that will give you an idea of what kind of exhibits they have:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/alaska_state_museum

Archived