Best order for Hemingway House and 2 bars for short visit?

nessz79

We'll be in port on a Friday from 7:30 AM- 2 PM on the Carnival Victory. We have done this itinerary before with kids, but this time it will just be DH and I. I want to visit the Hemingway House and we also want to visit at least 2 bars- Schooner's Wharf and Sloppy Joe's. SW opens at 7 or 7:30- should we head there first and then backtrack to SJ and HH? I don't have a super sense of direction (it's downright terrible), so any help you can give me is appreciated :).

Personally I would make the walk to http://www.hemingwayhome.com and take the tour there first and then you will have all the time you want to spend at the two bars which are much closer to the ship.

The Hemingway Home opens at 0900 and it will probably be after 8 before you can disembark. It will also be cooler during your walk if you do it first.

You can also save a little on your tickets at the website by purchasing ahead of time.

Have a great visit!

Mike:)

Personally I would make the walk to www.hemingwayhome.com and take the tour there first and then you will have all the time you want to spend at the two bars which are much closer to the ship.

The Hemingway Home opens at 0900 and it will probably be after 8 before you can disembark. It will also be cooler during your walk if you do it first.

You can also save a little on your tickets at the website by purchasing ahead of time.

Have a great visit!

Mike:)

I would agree. BTW it's Schooner Wharf, not Schooner's.

The Hemingway House tour involves a lot of standing in each room while the guide tells you about Hemingway and about items in the room. It can be quite hot too.

I would not want to do this tour after I have been to bars, but then it only takes one drink to make me uninterested in history and touring. Maybe you folks have better tolerance for alcohol tahn I do. Anyway, I agree that it would be better to do Hemingway first then quench your thirst at the bars of your choice.

You can either take the tour at the Hemingway House or walk it on your own if you are constrained with time.

I would not go drinking at 7:30 AM.

I would walk around for awhile early and then go to the Hemingway House and then afterwards walk around and then go to the bar and then over to the ship.

Keith

I, too, would do the Hemingway tour first. It's the only thing on your schedule that has specfic start times and duration. Everything else is up to you. But as long as you are in the area, you might also want to visit the lighthouse which is almost across the street from Hemingway's

---> http://www.kwahs.org/visit/lighthouse-keepers-quarters/

And Besame Mucho just across Whitehead and down Petronia

---> http://besamemucho.net/index.htm

Then the important stuff.

Pjk

Ok, thanks! It seems the consensus is Hemingway first! I am interested in checking out the lighthouse also and will have to check out what Besame Mucho is!

And you're right, Keith, we probably won't want to go drinking at 7:30! LOL Not even mimosas.

We'll be in port on a Friday from 7:30 AM- 2 PM on the Carnival Victory. We have done this itinerary before with kids, but this time it will just be DH and I. I want to visit the Hemingway House and we also want to visit at least 2 bars- Schooner's Wharf and Sloppy Joe's. SW opens at 7 or 7:30- should we head there first and then backtrack to SJ and HH? I don't have a super sense of direction (it's downright terrible), so any help you can give me is appreciated :).

I'd go to HH first... then either hoof it or cab to Schooner Wharf... have a drink there, along with some smoked fish dip, then walk up Greene Street (stop at Kermit's for a slice of key lime pie on a stick), to Sloppy Joe's, which is about halfway between SW and the port.

Archived