Liberty of the Sea Med Cruise Review with photo's Hopefully !

hi Sue! Amazing review! it was like a good book I couldn't put down! Had a good chuckle & You & John seem like excellent company! We are off on the LOS 8th September with our children aged 14, 9 & 18 months. We're there many babies in prams watching the shows? don't really want to use the babysitting service as its quite expensive. but also don't want to miss out. Also, I know you said you aren't big drinkers but we were thinking of pre purchasing the premium drinks package (cocktails, beer, spirits soda etc) which works out at £39 per day each. Would you say this is worthwhile? Did you eat at any of the speciality restaurants? & did you notice many teenagers on board. I'm worried My son won't have any company as its during term time. thanks ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

hi Sue! Amazing review! it was like a good book I couldn't put down! Had a good chuckle & You & John seem like excellent company! We are off on the LOS 8th September with our children aged 14, 9 & 18 months. We're there many babies in prams watching the shows? don't really want to use the babysitting service as its quite expensive. but also don't want to miss out. Also, I know you said you aren't big drinkers but we were thinking of pre purchasing the premium drinks package (cocktails, beer, spirits soda etc) which works out at £39 per day each. Would you say this is worthwhile? Did you eat at any of the speciality restaurants? & did you notice many teenagers on board. I'm worried My son won't have any company as its during term time. thanks ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Trolly dolly

glad you enjoyed the review - I found other reviews on here so helpful so decided to have a go !

I can't remember seeing buggies in the shows at all. But there was little ones on parents knees - if you get a seat at the end of the rows in the theatres you can slip out if your little one plays up - but the shows are quite short so I would give it a go.

As for the drinks package we thought it expensive - don't forget every adult in the cabin has to take the package so that is £39 each so if you think you might drink over £70 worth of drinks every day go for it - but if not I wouldn't bother - as an example John had a can of bitter ( they don't have it on pumps) and I had a coke and it was just over $10 - we bought the wine and dine package so we were ok with that and took two bottles of wine on board so we were sorted.

We didn't do the specialty restaurants the food in the Main Dining room was lovely so didn't need to - and in the Windjammer there was enough choice even with picky children !

I wouldn't worry about enough teenagers - there were plenty on board although I spoke to the mum of one when we were at the airport going home and she said her son I think he was about 13 wasn't too keen as there was lots of teens from all over the world especially Spanish. Let him give it a try there is loads for them to do and the area looks amazing - he can always go once or twice and decide wether he likes it or not. Quite a lot of the kids had the Soda package which saves you having to fork out for drinks for them all the time.

Have a fab time - and come back and tell us all how you got on

regards

Sue and John

Hi Sue, ar eyou ok? Missing Liberty already? :)

Just remembered something. Dont know if I missed it, but did u say anything about sushi? Was there sushi at Jade's?

Thank you in advance

I Didn't see any but then again we only went to the windjammer a couple of times so could have missed it - or they may have it on the night time buffet

They had all the usual stirfry stuff so the might well have it

Yes we are missing Liberty but we have a really special weekend this weekend we are going the wedding of a couple we met on our very first cruise 2 years ago on Grandeur They got engaged on formal night and they said then we had to be at the wedding - well that is this weekend so we are really excited about meeting up with them again and helping them celebrate their special day

Wwww love it that you kept in touch. We also met a family from Brazil and we keep touch almost daily through FB. All the happiness to the bride and from.

Thanks for the reply. I'm addicted to sushi :-). I know that in RCI they are not all that though...

If anything comes up, Ill be back again. Thank u Very much, always so helpful...

Have a lovely time at the wedding

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sue-

Love the FUNNY review... especially your endless quest for decent tea / hot water (and your running dessert dialogue HaHa)!!!!!

We will be embarking on this cruise in a couple of weeks, and your review brings up a few nagging questions I can't seem to find answers to:

Your discussion on the Toulon port talks about a 16$ shuttle (offered by RC?) to get to Toulon. I keep finding conflicting information that shows LOS docking at main Toulon port (near Naval ships) OR at La Seyne-Sur-Mer (some distance from Toulon). (1) Do you happen to remember which port? (2)Did your cruise dock or were you tendered? (3) Was the 16$ shuttle a bus or boat?

Also, a quick question about formal nights... I noticed from your photos that your husband follows my motto "No Ties While On Vacation". I'm having a disagreement with my wife about this same subject. Did your husband get any cross looks from crew/passengers about his tie-less formal attire? Do you think I would be OK with a black suit, white shirt and NO tie?

Thanks.

Sue-

Love the FUNNY review... especially your endless quest for decent tea / hot water (and your running dessert dialogue HaHa)!!!!!

We will be embarking on this cruise in a couple of weeks, and your review brings up a few nagging questions I can't seem to find answers to:

Your discussion on the Toulon port talks about a 16$ shuttle (offered by RC?) to get to Toulon. I keep finding conflicting information that shows LOS docking at main Toulon port (near Naval ships) OR at La Seyne-Sur-Mer (some distance from Toulon). (1) Do you happen to remember which port? (2)Did your cruise dock or were you tendered? (3) Was the 16$ shuttle a bus or boat?

Also, a quick question about formal nights... I noticed from your photos that your husband follows my motto "No Ties While On Vacation". I'm having a disagreement with my wife about this same subject. Did your husband get any cross looks from crew/passengers about his tie-less formal attire? Do you think I would be OK with a black suit, white shirt and NO tie?

Thanks.

Hi Glad you like the review - we docked at Seyne Sur Mer not tendered and then there was a tender type boat from the dockside to take you straight into the marina in Toulon but it does cost $16 return but hey we were on holiday ! and it was so easy - but do buy your tickets from guest relations then you don't have to line up on the portside to get tickets just go straight to the line to get on the boat. it is then a 5 - 10 min walk across the road to the main shopping area

John did wear a tie on formal nights but took it off once we were on our starters !! - nobody said anything or if the looked I didn't notice ! He did cheat a bit and had a bow tie on elastic and then in his pocket one of those self tie ones which we have never been able to master ! and whipped off the elastic one and put the untied self tied one under his collar as if he had had it on all the time and untied it ! ( cheat ! ) he thought he was James Bond - you will be fine with what you wear - some people didn't even have jackets on !

enjoy and do ask anything else you can think of!

regards

Sue x

• 4 weeks later...

Great review...I'm on the September 1st sailing and this gives a good idea of what to expect. Do you remember how long it took to tender into Villefranche? I have an afternoon excursion and wondering if it's worthwhile tendering in in the morning for a couple of hours.

Thanks very much,

CG

Great review...I'm on the September 1st sailing and this gives a good idea of what to expect. Do you remember how long it took to tender into Villefranche? I have an afternoon excursion and wondering if it's worthwhile tendering in in the morning for a couple of hours.

Thanks very much,

CG

Hi Glad you liked the review - It wasn't very long tendering at all. Think it took about 10 min or so. Also there were no queues to get on the tender - but we had a RCI trip booked so met in the theatre and then were walked down as a group to the tender

I liked the look of Villefranche so If I were you with an afternoon trip I would go ashore in the morning and enjoy the port - go back for lunch and then Join your trip.

Have a great time - I am very Jealous !

regards

Sue x

Hi Glad you liked the review - It wasn't very long tendering at all. Think it took about 10 min or so. Also there were no queues to get on the tender - but we had a RCI trip booked so met in the theatre and then were walked down as a group to the tender

I liked the look of Villefranche so If I were you with an afternoon trip I would go ashore in the morning and enjoy the port - go back for lunch and then Join your trip.

Have a great time - I am very Jealous !

regards

Sue x

Thanks very much for the feedback. I'm glad to hear about the tender situation being so short. My tour doesn't leave until 2pm so I can spend a little time in the am in Villefranche as you suggested. I may have some other questions...but time will tell.

Thanks very much for the feedback. I'm glad to hear about the tender situation being so short. My tour doesn't leave until 2pm so I can spend a little time in the am in Villefranche as you suggested. I may have some other questions...but time will tell.

You are very welcome - ask away - if I can remember stuff I will share it !

Thanks very much,

CG

We had the same situation last year and were very happy we went into Villefranche in the morning. We went back to the boat for an early lunch and then met our tour. Tenders were pretty much empty mid day. Here are our Villefranche pictures.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/564

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...