Nassau

thebigshipper13

You don't say whether your youngsters are boys or girls. Would they perhaps be interested in the pirate museum (Pirates of Nassau)? I believe it's walkable from the port. I haven't been there myself so I can't give a personal recommendation but it does seem to have a good write-up on TripAdvisor.

Hope this helps.

I would go to the Pirates Museum. It's within walking distance and reasonable admission ($12 for adults/$6 for kids). My DD loved it at that age. If they want a beach, the local free beach is not very far away and you would have plenty of time to do both. My DD also loves to stop and get a conch shell. We found a guy across the street from Starbucks with beautiful shells...he will engrave their names for $1 or you can get a conch horn.

Which beach?

Junkanoo Beach is a free beach within walking distance of the cruise port. You can find a ton of information by doing a search (click the Search this Forum link).

There is also a fort that might be fun to visit (and very inexpensive). Maybe combine that with the Pirate Museum.

Do you feel pretty safe at the beach? Is the area pretty clean?

Is it worth getting a Day Pass at a hotel to use a private beach?

I read about getting Day Passes at the Sheraton or Wyndham in Nassau that run about $20 per person.

I think it's worth it and Sheraton is very nice - $30 a person (for adults, I'm not sure about children). Food and drinks are not included.

It might help if you would tell us the age of your children, your interests and your budget. Also, use the search feature and you can almost always find the answers to specific questions.

I felt perfectly safe and the beach was spotless. There were plenty of families around. If you want facilities like nice loungers etc, you'll want to get a hotel pass but if you're not spending all day, we really enjoyed Junkanoo. I got to finally enjoy a fresh coconut that they cut right there for you.

I've heard past reports of stuff on the beach but ScubaGirl reports they work hard to keep it clean and safe and that was our experience.

How about Ardastra Gardens? http://www.ardastra.com/

Be sure to be there for the lorry parrots feedings - fun for kids of all ages (like me). :)

You can take the bus there for just $1.25 a person, then after the zoo stop at the Fish Fry for some real Bahamian food.

Where would I get the bus to Adastra? Alternatively, how long a walk is Ardastra from the pier?

Where would I get the bus to Adastra? Alternatively, how long a walk is Ardastra from the pier?

The bus stop is on the corner of Bay Street (the main shopping street) and George Street. It's just a couple of blocks from the port. Ask anyone and they will point you in the right direction. Make sure you get on the #10 bus and have exact change. You'll get off at the Fish Fry stop but instead of crossing the street to the Fish Fry, you'll take the next road to the left. There's a sign that looks like this:

ry%3D480

The zoo is a short walk up a hill and then on the right.

Alternatively, you could take a cab which would drop you off right in front of the zoo. Or you could walk (about a mile and a half). We've walked it but I wouldn't do it in the summer or if I had kids with me.

Archived