Meet & Greet

Ronniewales

Thank you for such a concise reply to my original question. It's taken over 20 replies to get one and for a change someone who is not looking down or does not have patience with a new OP.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

and one that gave you the right info. Please don't be "turned off" by some of those "replies"...not everyone on this board is so critical....There are some fair, nice and even voices on this board. Just have to "sort" through the negative ones. Have a wonderful cruise on O!!!! LuAnn

Thank you for such a concise reply to my original question. It's taken over 20 replies to get one and for a change someone who is not looking down or does not have patience with a new OP.

Always best to ignore those that get annoyed with your posting and offer no useful information. There are the consistent few who will do that. Keep on posting and most of us will do our bet to help.

Thank you for such a concise reply to my original question. It's taken over 20 replies to get one and for a change someone who is not looking down or does not have patience with a new OP

What's the point of possibly knowing the answer to something, and not using it? That's the whole point of Cruise Critic. Not everyone has been on it for years, and even those who have, may not have read it for the wonkish detail like me. I get my jollies sharing what I've learned...

Edited by hondorner

Oceania use to sponsor CC Meet and Greet parties, but they stopped long time ago..........I'm sure they had their reasons.

The Cruise Director was always in charge when they did have them.

What's the point of possibly knowing the answer to something, and not using it? That's the whole point of Cruise Critic. Not everyone has been on it for years, and even those who have, may not have read it for the wonkish detail like me. I get my jollies sharing what I've learned...

Great summary for Ronniewales,

It seems, by what I read, with O's participation, the M&G couldn't take place before several days? What would you suggest to those who wish to organize something the 1st or 2nd evening, which is when most would like to meet&greet one another? I have read on several posts that persons requesting help we're flatly refused by either the concierge or reception (I don't have the patience to dig up these posts, but I am certain you've read them too) What to do then?

Edited by billy.qc

We just usually set a time and place on the Roll call & show up

In my experience it all works out in the end

We usually meet in Horizons after Muster drill or if the 2 nd day is a sea day we pick a time to meet that day

If you have a large group I would give the Concierge a heads up so he can alert someone to have the extra staff available there

Best bet... just set the time and public place on the Roll Call...and just show up.

11 am, first sea day, seems to be the all-around best choice.

Have someone there to create/hand out name tags...and just...meet and greet! :p

There is no downside to the cruise line not sanctioning or hosting. There are plenty of other opportunities to meet Officers, etc. This event is for the "us" people.

Remember the real purpose of a M&G = to put faces to the screen names you have been conversing with, and to let the folks who have arranged tours together to have a chance to meet their touring partners and nail down logistics.

8636871084_8c7356a344_b.jpg

8635765439_2da232f2a2_b.jpg

8636871188_1276380d87_b.jpg

We just usually set a time and place on the Roll call & show up

In my experience it all works out in the end

We usually meet in Horizons after Muster drill or if the 2 nd day is a sea day we pick a time to meet that day

If you have a large group I would give the Concierge a heads up so he can alert someone to have the extra staff available there

Well said, Lyn.

I think Computerworks photos & recommendations give you a great idea of a successful M&G.

We had a recent M&G with over 160 people from the Roll Call, and more lurkers who weren't on the list but came to the M&G anyway. There had to be almost 200 people there. Hot and noisy, but very enjoyable.

Because the number of participants was so high, the coordinator used the Grand Bar as the venue rather than Horizons. This was scheduled ahead of time via our Roll Call for the second day of the cruise (first sea day), and was held an hour ahead of the Captain's Reception (which was at 6pm, so the M&G was set for 5pm). BTW people had been asked to bring their own nametags, and lots did - many preprinted with people's screen name, real name, home town, etc! Amazing. I handwrote mine and brought three extras sheets of name tags, which were gone in 5 minutes.

Everything worked out well, although the Grand Bar was swamped and it was a bit difficult to circulate and find others. Martinis being adjacent was handy as people could easily go get a drink and come back to chat. Waitstaff began handing out free drinks EXACTLY at 5:45pm (per the Captain's cocktail reception timing). Someone (not me!) asked for a complimentary glass of white wine at 5:40 and was told to "come back in 5 minutes."

These are really enjoyable events and it was lovely to put faces to names of those I had only met via the Roll Call. Our prior M&G had only about 40-50 people, I think, which seems a lot more like the average group size.

in February. It was in Horizons and well attended. It was like 30 minutes after muster, I think. All fun.

On the other hand when I was on Crystal in December, the M&G HARDLY had anyone there. It was embarrassing. All the officers were there and Crystal had provided hors d'ouvres. Only about 6 people showed up. That was so sad. Crystal is all inclusive so no one had any reason to come! Out of the 6 or so other people I was able to meet some who are frequently on the board. It was not as much fun though as the larger one on the Riviera.

in February. It was in Horizons and well attended. It was like 30 minutes after muster, I think. All fun.

On the other hand when I was on Crystal in December, the M&G HARDLY had anyone there. It was embarrassing. All the officers were there and Crystal had provided hors d'ouvres. Only about 6 people showed up. That was so sad. Crystal is all inclusive so no one had any reason to come! Out of the 6 or so other people I was able to meet some who are frequently on the board. It was not as much fun though as the larger one on the Riviera.

Yea, no free drinks, no shows.

that on different cruise lines the participation on the R/C and M&G can really vary. Sorry you had so many no shows...but at least Crystal and those who did show had fun and had the chance to meet!!!! THAT is what is most important...I think!!! LuAnn

and we met a couple or two who were great. On Oceania there were a lot of people, but not so friendly. We did meet a great couple from Phoenix, Barb and Bob. We really connected. That is what it is all about, right?

Hi!

I have organized several Meet and Greet parties on the Marina and Riviera. We usually meet on the first sea day on Deck 6 at the sofas near the GDR, chat for awhile and those interested join us for lunch in the GDR. There have been anywhere from 30 to 60 people at our Meet and Greets. Either I print the nametags or sometimes, one of the Roll Call members, prints them. We've always had lots of fun at these gatherings!

Rhea

P.S. I'm organizing three next year-Dec., March and July-all on the Riviera.

Hi!

I have organized several Meet and Greet parties on the Marina and Riviera. We usually meet on the first sea day on Deck 6 at the sofas near the GDR, chat for awhile and those interested join us for lunch in the GDR. There have been anywhere from 30 to 60 people at our Meet and Greets. Either I print the nametags or sometimes, one of the Roll Call members, prints them. We've always had lots of fun at these gatherings!

Rhea

P.S. I'm organizing three next year-Dec., March and July-all on the Riviera.

That you get to be on board so often!!!! :p You go girl!!!! LuAnn

• 5 months later...

Thanks to those who have posted on this subject. Sometimes people who have been there, done that; forget that there are many of us who are flailing around, trying to get it right.

For those who posted helpful comments, thank you for being part of the group of our community who enjoys assisting others. I think you are in the majority. For those minority persons who get a real kick out of being disdainful and putting people down, I'm hoping you don't realize how hurtful and discouraging your comments can be. After all, everyone at one time or another needed to learn something new, and we have all been grateful to people willing to mentor us through this process.

The info may be in the archives, but maybe it's nice to take the opportunity to be helpful and encouraging. Plus archival information may be a little out of date and it's always very helpful to hear that "this is what we did..." In the recent past.

Safe and happy travels, always,

Mia

Thanks to those who have posted on this subject. Sometimes people who have been there, done that; forget that there are many of us who are flailing around, trying to get it right.

For those who posted helpful comments, thank you for being part of the group of our community who enjoys assisting others. I think you are in the majority. For those minority persons who get a real kick out of being disdainful and putting people down, I'm hoping you don't realize how hurtful and discouraging your comments can be. After all, everyone at one time or another needed to learn something new, and we have all been grateful to people willing to mentor us through this process.

The info may be in the archives, but maybe it's nice to take the opportunity to be helpful and encouraging. Plus archival information may be a little out of date and it's always very helpful to hear that "this is what we did..." In the recent past.

Safe and happy travels, always,

Mia

I SO agree with you!!! LuAnn