Piraeus port to Athens airport

Herman The Cat

If the ship is scheduled to dock at 7am on a Wednesday morning, what do you think a reasonable and the earliest time for a flight would be? (Flying business class, so perhaps there is a priority security line).

We are considering a flight at 1:15pm and are wondering if that is too early and tight given the length of the trip and potential traffic on a weekday morning.

I assume the best transportation would be a private car rather than train, bus or taxi (given the taxi lines) and the size of the port/distance to public transportation.

Last time we disembarked there we had Silversea air and took the ship's transfer and it was on a Sunday so no traffic.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you, Seafairer and Keith.

We are now thinking, since we have never spent any time in Athens, about staying overnight.

That way, we can do a little tour around Athens and see the city.

If anyone knows of any car services/drivers they would recommend, please let me know. We would like to be picked up at the ship, tour around town, then head to the hotel.

Thank you!

We used George the taxi driver (taxigreece.com). He has been around a long time and is very reputable. He picked us up at the port, took us on a tour around Athens then to lunch, then to the airport. Very reasonable.

I definitely would not rely on just catching a cab at this port. When we walked out of the building with our luggage, it was a total zoo, with guys trying to grab our bags and put them in their cars. Fortunately, George was there and rescued us.

• 2 weeks later...

The redone Grand Bretagne is just that -grand. Recently the demonstrations in the Square in front of it have caused access problems, broken glass, etc. I would currently reconsider, but I may be overreacting. Do not miss the new Acropolis Museum. Definitely a private car transfer. Enjoy!

Loved the Grand Bretagne every time we have stayed there in the past; latest was about 2008 though. The location is great (unless, of course, they decide to riot in Syntagma Square)... No experience with the other property you mention.

Archived