Help me pack for Norway cruise in July

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm having trouble deciding what to pack for our Norway crusie which will go very far north (to North Cape and beyond) in July. :confused:

Looking at the average temperatures for these ports, it seems it could range from 40-70. I'm thinking jeans, long sleeved tees, vest, hoodie (fleece) and a polyfill jacket with gloves and scarf. Yet I see photos posted here showing short sleeved shirts. So I guess I'll include bermuda shorts and a couple of short sleeved tees/blouses? It's probably best to layer up if you're cold and then take things off if it's warm.....??

Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

Yes, layers is your best bet. You can get about any kind of weather in Norway and particularly if you go as far North. You can have glorious warm days and chilly rainy day. Don't forget a windproof/waterproof jacket, and your sunglasses! ;)

Layers is definitely the answer and also remember to take your umbrella (so that it doesn't rain, never fails to work for us :D), sunglasses and sunscreen. We were up in the Arctic Circle and the North Cape a couple of weeks back and it was warmer there, lovely sunshine too, than it was here in the south-east UK. Wish we were back there now, loved those Norwegian fjords and, in fact, all we saw of Norway, a beautiful country.

Lou/Marsha

take a warm coat mitts & Hat for the far north

Forget the umbrella take a rain jacket with a hood & good walking shoes

It can be cold or warm

We were bundled up at the North Cape & in short sleeves in Murmansk

You just never know

I think your list so far is good

I wore my jeans for daytime & few nights in the Terrace when too tired to change ;)

Enjoy

Lyn

Thanks all for the great advice. I thought I knew what to pack but then started to have second thoughts. Now I think I'm back on track.

Lyn - I'm thinking this is going to be a lot less formal in the eves that we're used to so I'm planning to wear jean-type slacks for a few dinners in the Terrace.

The big problem is Lou as his clothing weighs so much more than mine. He's insisting on taking 2 pair of zip-off pants. And 4 cotton s/s T-shirts. I think one zippie will do. How often is he going to want to wear shorts?? And surely long sleeve tees are a better choice in the long run plus maybe 2 short sleeved ones for warm days and for layering?

Guess we'll figure it out for sure when we weigh the suitcases!

The big problem is Lou as his clothing weighs so much more than mine. He's insisting on taking 2 pair of zip-off pants. And 4 cotton s/s T-shirts. I think one zippie will do. How often is he going to want to wear shorts?? And surely long sleeve tees are a better choice in the long run plus maybe 2 short sleeved ones for warm days and for layering?

Are you doing the Midnight Sun cruise?

The southern parts of Norway were shorts weather most of the time

Bergen was wet & cool last trip but we have had sunny & warm there also

It is a crap shoot with the weather no matter where you go

Have a great trip see you in May

Lyn

Are you doing the Midnight Sun cruise?

The southern parts of Norway were shorts weather most of the time

Bergen was wet & cool last trip but we have had sunny & warm there also

It is a crap shoot with the weather no matter where you go

Have a great trip see you in May

Lyn

Thanks Lynn. I guess I'll let Lou have his two pair of zippies. He can always wear them in the Terrace instead of dress slacks. But I think I'll substitute a couple of s/s sport shirts for two of the heavy T-shirts.

Looking forward to next May -- though I think that might also be a "crap shoot" re: weather. On this year's crossing there was lots of fog, drizzle, heavy seas, two missed ports and cool weather. Marsha

Looking forward to next May -- though I think that might also be a "crap shoot" re: weather. On this year's crossing there was lots of fog, drizzle, heavy seas, two missed ports and cool weather. Marsha

That's the Maritimes for you ;)

• 4 weeks later...

We took a Norwegian Coastal Voyage cruise a number of years ago -- Bergen to Kirkenes. We were quite warm in southern Norway (i.e., Bergen). At North Cape, we needed a medium weight jacket and sweatshirt. It was cold -- but not frigid.

I would take lightweight (cotton) pants and jeans. A couple of T-shirts, a couple of long-sleeved shirts, 2-3 medium weight (i.e., cotton) sweaters, 1-2 fleece pullovers and a waterproof/water repellant jacket with hood. Good walking shoes and lightweight wool socks.

You really, really need layers. If it's sunny, you'll need fewer layers and may even be fine in shorts and a T-shirt in Bergen (recognizing that very, very few locals wear shorts). On colder, rainy days, you'll be thankful for the extra warmth.

Just returned from a 24 day cruise to the Arctic and fiords today... Chilly in the Arctic and very cool in the fiords, more so than we expected, and quite a lot of rain too. Definitely take layers and possibly a heavy jacket for the Arctic. When the wind starts blowing up there, you'll be glad you did. Also very cold walking the decks on the ship too...

We did have good weather in Geiranger and Olden but the best days were the last two, in Oslo and sailing back to Amsterdam, where we disembarked today.

Thanks all for the great advice. I thought I knew what to pack but then started to have second thoughts. Now I think I'm back on track.

Lyn - I'm thinking this is going to be a lot less formal in the eves that we're used to so I'm planning to wear jean-type slacks for a few dinners in the Terrace.

We went to Galapagos Islands recently and after many reviews if how great duffle bags can be we took two. When flying from Quito down to the islands could only have 40 lbs. we had sooo much in each one and the heaviest bag was only 37 lbs. sooo we are taking one of these duffle a for our cruise for the Baltics on July 12th. We have some ports cooler or cold and some warm. A regular suitcase weighs approx 8-10 lbs so we can take so much more. Was told to cobblestones for a full day do a number on your feet, so taking hiking boots. Will plan to layer, husband taking the very light weight conversion pants.

We just cruised from June 17-29 as far north as the North Cape. Never wore our shorts at a port. (wishful thinking) Altho one sea day had people in swim suits sunning at the pool. :)

I wore jeans/denim every day. Long sleeved cotton tees. Carried a windbreaker/rain jacket which I wore on cooler days. Didn't need any fleece liner. Used rain jacket with hood (once with an umbrella) on the couple days of rain. Didn't need gloves or hat even on the coldest day..which was 50. Warmest day was around 65.

DH wore his fleece vest over a long sleeved shirt pretty often. Added his rain/wind jacket when needed.

If you have a day pack of sorts you can carry along an extra layer when out and about. You want to be prepared if gone on an excursion for the whole day. Enjoy your trip.

My cool weather cruising clothes are black knit pants, long and short sleeve cotton/rayon t-shirts ( mix of both) and coordinating/contrasting cotton cardigans. I also take an LL Bean thinsulate vest and Columbia waterproof breathable jacket. I use waterproof walking/hiking shoes and Smartwool socks. For dinner I add a scarf or necklace and am good to go. What I was not expecting in the Baltic was the need for a sun-visor due to the angle of the sun. I find that a scarf can be used on the neck or round the head if it's very chilly. Nothing goes unless it can be used at least twice.

I guess it depends on the ship you are on. We were on the Caribbean Princess on 6/17/13 to the North Cape 12nights and I found it to be a very well dressed crowd in the evenings. We ate dinner in the buffet a few nights I noticed that the men were wearing nice shirts with collars (no T shirts). I thought it was going to be much more casual (similar to Alaska) but I was surprised eventhough there were only 2 formal nights.

Archived