I Wish That Cunard Would Use The QM2 more as an Ocean Liner and less as a Cruise Ship

Cruise Liner Fan

As I noted in my blog, Germans were "everywhere" during our last TA (which originated in Hamburg). Although Salacia perceived my comment as racist, I was merely expressing surprise that there were so many Germans making the crossing--I had expected the vast majority to be Americans and Brits.

One of the reasons is that, for many years, the people of Hamburg welcome QM2 with such enthusiasm like no other town in the whole world (confirmed by a Commodore).

One of the reasons is that, for many years, the people of Hamburg welcome QM2 with such enthusiasm like no other town in the whole world (confirmed by a Commodore).
That has been my personal experience as well. The only other place where I saw QM2 receive a welcome even close to the one given by the citizens of Hamburg, was in Cherbourg when she returned to Northern France (close to the place of her birth) after an absence of several years.

Photos here (towards the end of the set):

Best wishes.

There is something delightful about disembarking and then then knowing as soon as you care too, you can simply walk back onboard again and this time knowing you are all unpacked and can go straight to a pleasant area to while away the time.

I'm really looking forward to our overnight stay on QM 2 in Hong Kong. Although we have to disembark next morning. Hope they delay the luggage collection.

There is something delightful about disembarking and then then knowing as soon as you care too, you can simply walk back onboard again and this time knowing you are all unpacked and can go straight to a pleasant area to while away the time.

I'm really looking forward to our overnight stay on QM 2 in Hong Kong. Although we have to disembark next morning. Hope they delay the luggage collection.

They were building a flash new cruise ship terminal when I was there in Feb this year. It will probably be finished next year in time for your cruise. I think it was on Hong Kong island itself.

If it's not you'll probably anchor in Junk Bay.

There was a media release in the news today about the new HK terminal. It was available for one of the RCL ships. It might be a soft opening but it looked fabulous. Hopefully it has hardened up by April next year. April Fools day in fact. The QE is there a couple of days earlier.

There was a media release in the news today about the new HK terminal. It was available for one of the RCL ships. It might be a soft opening but it looked fabulous. Hopefully it has hardened up by April next year. April Fools day in fact. The QE is there a couple of days earlier.

Well fingers crossed it's open in time for you guys. The tender ride from Junk Bay was a bit long.

I have two nights in San Francisco next year, and I am looking forward to being able to get off and on the ship at will. Although, let's face it, I probably wont be getting back to the ship until about 6am the following morning. :D

I have two nights in San Francisco next year, and I am looking forward to being able to get off and on the ship at will. Although, let's face it, I probably wont be getting back to the ship until about 6am the following morning. :D

That would be right. Have you been to SF before? We LOVED it. You should see The Internists as a taster of amazing SF Bay.

That would be right. Have you been to SF before? We LOVED it. You should see The Internists as a taster of amazing SF Bay.

No, I have never been - can't wait. What's 'The Internists'? I googled it but couldn't find anything.

That has been my personal experience as well. The only other place where I saw QM2 receive a welcome even close to the one given by the citizens of Hamburg, was in Cherbourg when she returned to Northern France (close to the place of her birth) after an absence of several years.

Photos here (towards the end of the set):

Best wishes.

It's always so exciting to see your fantastic photos - thank you so much, Pepper!

Cats2010 :)

P.S. Getting homesick again ....

No, I have never been - can't wait. What's 'The Internists'? I googled it but couldn't find anything.

A movie all about Google. :) :) :) And set at google HQ in SF. Great shots of the Golden Gate Bridge.

It's always so exciting to see your fantastic photos - thank you so much, Pepper!
:o My pleasure :o .

(My elderly parents were on board QM2 (their first cruise), as I took the photos, when we departed Cherbourg. They couldn't believe the number of people (we were told 20,000) who came to see her sail. And when QM2 was "chased" out of the harbour by dozens of small craft... well they were speechless. My memories of them, grinning and laughing, so very happy, stood at the rail at the aft end of Deck 12, watching the boats below, are memories that will stay with me for a very long time. Less than three years later they boarded QM2 again, this time for a WB transatlantic crossing :) ).

Best wishes,

:o My pleasure :o .

(My elderly parents were on board QM2 (their first cruise), as I took the photos, when we departed Cherbourg. They couldn't believe the number of people (we were told 20,000) who came to see her sail. And when QM2 was "chased" out of the harbour by dozens of small craft well they were speechless. My memories of them, grinning and laughing, so... very happy, stood at the rail at the aft end of Deck 12, watching the boats below, are memories that will stay with me for a very long time. Less than three years later they boarded QM2 again, this time for a WB transatlantic crossing :) ).

Best wishes,

pepper:

What a wonderful memory! I'm so glad you were able to make that kind of memory with your parents. These kind of memories are priceless.

best regards,

seasidegal

Archived