I Wish That Cunard Would Use The QM2 more as an Ocean Liner and less as a Cruise Ship

Cruise Liner Fan

I would never in a million years do anything on QM2 other than a TA. Who wants to get on and off such a large ship with so many passengers more than once? And who wants to cruise on a ship that can't dock at most ports in the world?

People lke me. It really isnt that difficult to do this. We have cruised on LOS where there is something like 4000 people. You should try sone of the World sectors where there are five sea days. Best of both worlds really.

A touch of humour... In harbour I have seen folks quite literally cooking an egg on the extremely hot ship's metal deck.

Laying out on the upper deck of a cruise ship under the midday sun may well cause sun burn for those not wise enough to take precautions hence the being cooked to gas mk II ...

Thanks for the explanation, glojo. The stove controls I'm familiar with are labeled "LO MED HI" or "LOW 2 ... 8 HIGH" and the oven controls are digital. But I understand the situation; in fact, when I was a kid in New York City the summer sidewalks were often hot enough to fry eggs, no metal needed.

Apologies for the confusion.... Something I excel at. It would be so much easier if folks could read my mind but until then, please feel free to query what I am rambling on about.

I enjoy being at sea but....... and here is the big butt

As I recall, there were quite a few big butts at sea, particularly in the King's Court.

On a more serious note, I agree with Candle in the Wind: I'm sure the number of TAs is driven by the market. With international airfare becoming quite commonplace and "relatively" inexpensive, I'm guessing that Cunard needs to diversify their itineraries in order to stay competitive....unfortunately.

I also agree with wripro: I would not be inclined to take the one of the three queens for anything other than a TA, except perhaps on a world cruise (after I'm retired and have married a multi-millionaire).

Living in NYC makes sailing QM2 quite easy....I did TA on QE2 & loved it - it was a 5 day crossing in those days. I would prefer Cunard do a few 5 day crossings & then throw in a few trips w/ stops at Cherbourg & Italy.

I guess Cunard is making bundles by stopping in Hamburg - but Germany holds no interest for me(yes I have been).

At least w/ a couple of crossings w/ stops on the Continent would attract a few more passengers w/ varied interests.

The downside to the cruises is too much time on either end stopping in Hamburg & Southampton. I would rather have 5 day crossings w/ the extra time in the ports.

I love the time at sea but at this point I would like more time in Europe.

As I noted in my blog, Germans were "everywhere" during our last TA (which originated in Hamburg). Although Salacia perceived my comment as racist, I was merely expressing surprise that there were so many Germans making the crossing--I had expected the vast majority to be Americans and Brits.

One possible strategy would be to start TAs from other European destinations, such as France, Spain, Italy and Sweden, before heading to Southampton. This would likely help to fill the ship with passengers from those countries, and it could also introduce a new audience to the unique elegance of a classic crossing (and they would hopefully become repeat passengers).

I would never in a million years do anything on QM2 other than a TA. Who wants to get on and off such a large ship with so many passengers more than once? And who wants to cruise on a ship that can't dock at most ports in the world?

I do!

I agree that QM2 is perfectly suited to transatlantics, however she also does a fantastic job cruising around the world. There's something very evocative about cruising through the tropics and enjoying the view from QM2's QE2 like stern. Plus you can get rough weather all around the world, and it's pretty reassuring to know that it's going to take something pretty wild to unsettle QM2.

i-TXGFPQQ-L.jpg

i-QMVH2Lr-L.jpg

If QM2 did nothing but TAs I would not be able to sail on her.

Assume one would take a TA EB on QM, re-embark on QE or QV. One then uses the Vistas for that they are inteneded - cruising. Getting back to the states means... waiting for QM2 to finish a round trip TA in the meantime and then board her to finally sail WB home. That's 28 days - 24 days if we turn back the clock to six day crossings. I'm not retired or a millionaire (or married to one.) It's just too long to be away from the job and too expensive. One would have to fly at least one segment. I'm not afraid to fly but rather do without the TSA anal exam. (Translation: US Transportion Security Administration.)

Back in the day the original QM and QE were running mates accross the Atlantic. It was possible to sail weekly in either direction. That's not coming back when there is not enough year round demand to keep one vessel dedicated to crossing.

Apologies for the confusion.... Something I excel at. It would be so much easier if folks could read my mind but until then, please feel free to query what I am rambling on about.

I enjoy being at sea but....... and here is the big butt

I enjoy lounging out in the sunshine lapping up the sea air and getting cooked at gas mk II in the nice sunny balmy days the ship is cruising the highways and bye-ways.

Scooting across the North Atlantic in the middle of winter does absolutely nothing for me and I totally accept there will be nice warm days when I can lord it up lounging about on the upper deck but in the middle of winter those days will be few and far between and if I were being totally honest, our summers on this side of the Atlantic have been a complete disaster so yes I enjoy sea days but no I would not enjoy being couped up inside the ship all day!! (couped up being perhaps not the best choice of words on such a spacious ship but hopefully you can read my mind and understand what I am saying)

I think when folks are talking about this huge ship entering 'small' harbours or ports, they are not talking about the size in area, they are possibly talking about the depth of water these ships require to navigate alongside a jetty? (that's if I am reading their minds correctly)

I have never been on these ships so must accept that folks can get off this ship easily and quickly whenever it enters foreign ports but... With the greatest of respect this claim does fly in the face of some passengers experiences who no doubt are the constant whiners who lead sad and sorry lives and have nothing better to do and find fault with anything and everything that they experience whilst on holiday!! These folks have talked about long delays in getting ashore with the Commodore or on other occasions t6he captain offering apologies for the delays?? I have no idea and am just the happy go lucky messenger that is asking a question regarding this issue :)

Ooops I had best clarify that I have spent many a day lounging about on the upper deck of a ship getting cooked to gas mk II ;);) but not on a cruise shipand yes I have spent many a week\month at sea without stepping ashore or sighting land.

Thanks for explanation I get it now... I get bored lying in the sun after a short time, hence transatlantic travel is perhaps better designed for someone like me.

I've never had difficulty getting on or off QM2, but I am experienced enough to know when pinch points may occur and plan accordingly.

Where delays occur in my experience is either when the ship goes off schedule in an unplanned way or when planned port arrivals occur in the middle of the day as opposed to early a.m. and everyone is up and raring to go simultaneously. These occasions are more rare than the rule though, the answer is to sit in the public areas with a cup of coffee and observe. When the ship becomes quieter you know the rush is over and you can then step off easily and be on your way without losing your rag.

M-AR

Great pics whitemarsh- and I agree - not everybody want´s to do just TA´s . What a shame if she would only do TA´s - one should have the possibilty to enjoy this great ship without bothering with a TA- as nice as they really are. The time of the great Ocean Liners, which were built just for this purpose are O V E R ! Welcome back to earth!

I do!

I agree that QM2 is perfectly suited to transatlantics, however she also does a fantastic job cruising around the world. There's something very evocative about cruising through the tropics and enjoying the view from QM2's QE2 like stern. Plus you can get rough weather all around the world, and it's pretty reassuring to know that it's going to take something pretty wild to unsettle QM2.

i-TXGFPQQ-L.jpg

i-QMVH2Lr-L.jpg

If I may say so, QM2 illustrated at her best. Cracking colours, it looks like a beautiful day. Those green cushions have been replaced by brown stripey ones now, the green looks better, but mearly a minor observation.

M-AR

Thanks for the photo's Whitemarsh. They are Heaven.

Thank you.

I love your pictures also, Whitemarsh. But it is such a beautiful looking day, where are all the people?

Those photos were taken in 2012 off the coast of Western Australia about a day or two before arriving in Perth, there was quite a bit of wind about so it was a bit chilly. From Perth to Sydney, via the Great Australian Bight, the outside decks never got as much use as between Brisbane and about three days out from Bali.

Thank you.

Those photos were taken in 2012 off the coast of Western Australia about a day or two before arriving in Perth, there was quite a bit of wind about so it was a bit chilly. From Perth to Sydney, via the Great Australian Bight, the outside decks never got as much use as between Brisbane and about three days out from Bali.

Beautiful photos, Whitemarsh, and so inviting........hoping and wishing .........to accept that invite sooner than later. ;)

Thanks for posting some sunshine on a cool night.

best regards,

seasidegal

Thank you.

QM2 was in the midst of a whale migration zone while travelling those waters, but I could not see any. When I got to Fremantle, some friends who had been out in the same waters said they had been on their yacht beating off the whales with sticks. The whales apparently show no fear and are very curious when they see a yacht. Perhaps whales are fearful of something the size of QM2?

P.S. I don't advocate cruelty to whales, but apparently they are dangerous to yachts and the yachtsmen have to take steps to deter them if they get too close to the yacht, such as hitting them with sticks.

Partail quote

As I noted in my blog' date=' Germans were "everywhere" during our last TA (which originated in Hamburg). Although Salacia perceived my comment as racist, I was merely expressing surprise that there were so many Germans making the crossing--I had expected the vast majority to be Americans and Brits.

Hi charliedalrymple.

You have no idea how I perceived your comments. But at no time did use the word "racist" when referring to your comments.

And your expectations were met, according to your report. The "vast majority" on your voyage were 'Americans and Brits'. Germans were in the minority, based on your post.

Salacia

Partail quote

Hi charliedalrymple.

You have no idea how I perceived your comments. But at no time did use the word "racist" when referring to your comments.

And your expectations were met, according to your report. The "vast majority" on your voyage were 'Americans and Brits'. Germans were in the minority, based on your post.

Salacia

Oh really? I'm surprised. Like Charlie, I too thought that you were inferring that his comments were racist. That's how it came across.

Oh really? I'm surprised. Like Charlie, I too thought that you were inferring that his comments were racist. That's how it came across.

Yes, really. You are certainly entitled to your own interpertation. I'm not going to repeat myself. All that I had to say about the "blog" from Charlie, the US Department of State Diplomat has been said. -S

Yes, really. You are certainly entitled to your own interpertation. I'm not going to repeat myself. All that I had to say about the "blog" from Charlie, the US Department of State Diplomat has been said. -S

Well yes, that's the interpretation I got as it came across that you were inferring that his comments were racist. I note that you are not refuting this? :confused:

But I see that you won't be clarifying the matter as you've stated that you have said everything you wanted to say about Charlie's blog. In fact the last thing you had to say on the matter was about five minutes ago.

One aspect of QM2 that I really appreciated was the covered balcony cabins. When my partner & I did the 13 day carib cruise we had a choice of a Princess Grill Balcony cabin or a sheltered Balcony in Britannia. We ended in the Midship sheltered balcony because what was left in Princess grill was not great(too far forward)

I love the reading & being able to sit on the balcony without fear of being sunburnt in the carib was wonderful.....mornings & late afternoon were by the pools but after lunch in the strong mid day sun I was protected on our sheltered balcony...

I have not yet sailed on the QM. I also cannot take off huge amounts of time to sail one way, hang around sightseeing for a week, and then sail back. I wish they would try at least once a TA from NY and head right back.

One aspect of QM2 that I really appreciated was the covered balcony cabins. When my partner & I did the 13 day carib cruise we had a choice of a Princess Grill Balcony cabin or a sheltered Balcony in Britannia. We ended in the Midship sheltered balcony because what was left in Princess grill was not great(too far forward)

I love the reading & being able to sit on the balcony without fear of being sunburnt in the carib was wonderful.....mornings & late afternoon were by the pools but after lunch in the strong mid day sun I was protected on our sheltered balcony...

I too was apprehensive about staterooms that are well forward, as I have been sea sick previously, but after my last voyage where I had a stateroom on deck 9 that was within 5 cabins of the Commodore Club I would happily recommend them to anyone.

I too was apprehensive about staterooms that are well forward, as I have been sea sick previously, but after my last voyage where I had a stateroom on deck 9 that was within 5 cabins of the Commodore Club I would happily recommend them to anyone.

Now that is a convenient cabin!:D Seriously though, forward cabins suit us better than aft. The motion forward suits our inner ears better than aft. Just us. Also no propeller vibration or engine/uptake noise.:D

Now that is a convenient cabin!:D Seriously though, forward cabins suit us better than aft. The motion forward suits our inner ears better than aft. Just us. Also no propeller vibration or engine/uptake noise.:D

It was very convenient, to the gym, library and spa in addition to the Commodore Club. The only thing it wasn't convenient to was the Queens Grill which all the way at the stern. But the daily walk was, no doubt, good for me anyway.

I had the opportunity to visit a neighbouring Queens Grill suite that was situated slightly closer to the Commodore Club. It had no orange lifeboats spoiling the view and these QG suites are probably optimal when all things are considered.

Archived