I Wish That Cunard Would Use The QM2 more as an Ocean Liner and less as a Cruise Ship

Cruise Liner Fan

I started this thread to see what the passengers who go on the Cunard Line, what their opinion is on this idea of mine which is Cunard should use the QM2 more as a Ocean Liner doing the traditional transatlantic crossings during the months from late April through October.Does the QM2 really need to do 2 New England/Canada cruises in September & October and the 3 cruises to Norway during this time? I'm not saying that Cunard should not use the QM2 for these cruises, 1 cruise to New England/Canada and 1 cruise to Norway per year should be enough for the QM2. Anyone have an opinion on this idea? Regards,Jerry

The New England/Canada cruises are not just for people from the US. They are for people from other countries as well. I'm from the UK and I intend to do one of them one day and am glad there's a choice of 3 every year.

The June one can be 5, 12 or 19 nights.

The September and October ones can be 11, 18 or 25 nights.

You have to remember that next year with the QE stuck in the Med for most of the year, there will only be two ships available for cruises.

The New England/Canada cruises are not just for people from the US. They are for people from other countries as well. I'm from the UK and I intend to do one of them one day and am glad there's a choice of 3 every year.

The June one can be 5, 12 or 19 nights.

The September and October ones can be 11, 18 or 25 nights.

You have to remember that next year with the QE stuck in the Med for most of the year, there will only be two ships available for cruises.

The June New England/Canada cruise is actually in July from July 1st to July 6th, and this year the September & October New England/Canada cruises are 12 nights. I wish that Cunard would do at least one New York-Southampton and right back to New York crossing per year. Regards,Jerry

As a passenger who loves sea days, I too wish that QM2 could be returned to more transatlantic runs. Perhaps with an overnight stop in Southampton, to give those who wish, time to explore.

I have a l9 day trip coming in a few weeks, 7 days Eastbound, 5 days cross channel (St Peter port, and Brussels), than 7 days Westbound. I would have preferred to only have a 3 day interval.

I am not in favour of present schedules, which uses QM2 as a cruise ship, to go around Norway, round Britain, to Greenland and back, all port intensive.

My personal view (and it is only personal) is that any ship that does a different port every day is little more than a ferry, a hotel that moves.

The QM2 was built as a transatlantic ship, her passengers travelled on her because she was THE QM2.

She was their social home from home for the crossing. They did not travel on her for rock concerts, climbing walls, wave runners, etc. or anything goes parties.

They expected Lectures, concerts, afternoon tea, a first class show, excellent food, and above all Cunard Elegance and Service.

There is a place for McDonalds/Burger King/KFC/Pizza Hut they rightly have their fans (I love pizza), and yes their prices are right. However when I pay far more in cost I expect a better cuisine.

The same principle goes for ships, if I want NCL/RCC/Disney then I will book them.

I book Cunard because I want the Cunard experience, and on the QM2 I want the Transatlantic experience, not a different -port -everyday- floating- hotel.

The June New England/Canada cruise is actually in July from July 1st to July 6th, and this year the September & October New England/Canada cruises are 12 nights. I wish that Cunard would do at least one New York-Southampton and right back to New York crossing per year. Regards,Jerry

For us in the UK the following are our choices this year for NE/Canada:

24th June - 12 nights (fly back from NY)

24th June - 19 nights

1st July - 5 nights

1st July - 12 nights

2nd September - 20 nights (fly back to UK)

2nd September - 27 nights

8th October - 19 nights (fly back to UK)

8th October - 27 nights

As a passenger who loves sea days, I too wish that QM2 could be returned to more transatlantic runs. Perhaps with an overnight stop in Southampton, to give those who wish, time to explore.

I have a l9 day trip coming in a few weeks, 7 days Eastbound, 5 days cross channel (St Peter port, and Brussels), than 7 days Westbound. I would have preferred to only have a 3 day interval.

I am not in favour of present schedules, which uses QM2 as a cruise ship, to go around Norway, round Britain, to Greenland and back, all port intensive. ...

My wife and I love sea days; we love sea days more than we hate to fly. We also love to visit places we've never seen before. QM2's "grand crossings" (eastbound crossing, tour someplace, westbound crossing) let us do both. Downside is that they are expensive. I like your idea of a B2B crossing with an overnight in Southampton. Alternating Southampton overnight crossings and "grand crossings" would be ideal.

I love the sea time and was disappointed when the Queen Elizabeth got reallocated to the Mediterranean next summer as the sea days are to me one of the main reasons we opt to cruise.

I don't see what is so special about a transatlantic crossing but that is me and obviously there is a market for it BUT....

How big is the market and can it support a ship as big as the Queen Mary 2? When was the last time it did a six day crossing and is it beans (beans =fuel) the bean counters are watching that is controlling where that ship deploys?

If the Titantic becomes a reality then will it be taking customers away from Cunard? Folks might have their own opinions regarding that ship but is there a finite number of passengers that want to travel from Southampton to New York or vice versa?

I am awaiting the RMS Duke of Edinburgh which will be doing back to back Transatlantics year round.:D:D
Five day back to backs are being considered.

3 days 9 hours would be a challenge ;)

I love the sea time and was disappointed when the Queen Elizabeth got reallocated to the Mediterranean next summer as the sea days are to me one of the main reasons we opt to cruise.

I don't see what is so special about a transatlantic crossing but that is me and obviously there is a market for it BUT....

How big is the market and can it support a ship as big as the Queen Mary 2? When was the last time it did a six day crossing and is it beans (beans =fuel) the bean counters are watching that is controlling where that ship deploys?

If the Titantic becomes a reality then will it be taking customers away from Cunard? Folks might have their own opinions regarding that ship but is there a finite number of passengers that want to travel from Southampton to New York or vice versa?

By way of context, I enjoy transatlantic crossings and your first two paragraphs appear contradictory to me.

The last 6 night crossings were in 2010, it was 7 nights in 2011 as far as I can recall, happy to be corrected though.

I agree with others who think the marketers are missing a trick with no B2B NY-NY offering.

M-AR

... I agree with others who think the marketers are missing a trick with no B2B NY-NY offering.

M-AR

And considering how profitable shore tours are for Cunard, perhaps they will consider back-to-backs with an overnight stay at each end.

And considering how profitable shore tours are for Cunard, perhaps they will consider back-to-backs with an overnight stay at each end.

Speaking as one from the British Isles, I think the B2B clients originating from the UK would get the better deal there. I've had an unscheduled overnight in NYC twice and I can vouch for the fact that it is a wonderful experience. Midnight in Times Square was "interesting"!

M-AR

I would never in a million years do anything on QM2 other than a TA. Who wants to get on and off such a large ship with so many passengers more than once? And who wants to cruise on a ship that can't dock at most ports in the world?

I would never in a million years do anything on QM2 other than a TA. Who wants to get on and off such a large ship with so many passengers more than once? And who wants to cruise on a ship that can't dock at most ports in the world?

Me. :) I adore the mother ship. Having thought a few minutes though, I agree a TA is rather fine. What I'm saying in a clumsy way though is I would rather be on board than not.

M-AR

I started this thread to see what the passengers who go on the Cunard Line, what their opinion is on this idea of mine which is Cunard should use the QM2 more as a Ocean Liner doing the traditional transatlantic crossings during the months from late April through October.Does the QM2 really need to do 2 New England/Canada cruises in September & October and the 3 cruises to Norway during this time? I'm not saying that Cunard should not use the QM2 for these cruises, 1 cruise to New England/Canada and 1 cruise to Norway per year should be enough for the QM2. Anyone have an opinion on this idea? Regards,Jerry[/quoT

I would have thought that sales would be the deciding factor as to whether the Canada/New England and Norway voyages continue as they are, and if Cunard do increase the transatlantic and back to back transatlantic voyages sales will decide whether they continue or not.

My partner & I did a 13 day carib cruise out of NYC a few years ago - it was February. It really was no problem at all getting on & off the ship even in the small carib ports. QM2 handled the winter Atlantic quite well & even tho the ship was full even on the 6 sea days it never felt crowded.....

I'm not a fan of these mega cruise ships w/ thousands of passengers & very few crew - I won't sail on any of them.

But QM2 was quite nice.

Living in NYC makes sailing QM2 quite easy....I did TA on QE2 & loved it - it was a 5 day crossing in those days. I would prefer Cunard do a few 5 day crossings & then throw in a few trips w/ stops at Cherbourg & Italy.

I guess Cunard is making bundles by stopping in Hamburg - but Germany holds no interest for me(yes I have been).

At least w/ a couple of crossings w/ stops on the Continent would attract a few more passengers w/ varied interests.

The downside to the cruises is too much time on either end stopping in Hamburg & Southampton. I would rather have 5 day crossings w/ the extra time in the ports.

I love the time at sea but at this point I would like more time in Europe.

Have you ever sailed on her?

Roy

By way of context, I enjoy transatlantic crossings and your first two paragraphs appear contradictory to me.

The last 6 night crossings were in 2010, it was 7 nights in 2011 as far as I can recall, happy to be corrected though.

I agree with others who think the marketers are missing a trick with no B2B NY-NY offering.

M-AR

Apologies for the confusion.... Something I excel at. It would be so much easier if folks could read my mind but until then, please feel free to query what I am rambling on about.

I enjoy being at sea but....... and here is the big butt

I enjoy lounging out in the sunshine lapping up the sea air and getting cooked at gas mk II in the nice sunny balmy days the ship is cruising the highways and bye-ways.

Scooting across the North Atlantic in the middle of winter does absolutely nothing for me and I totally accept there will be nice warm days when I can lord it up lounging about on the upper deck but in the middle of winter those days will be few and far between and if I were being totally honest, our summers on this side of the Atlantic have been a complete disaster so yes I enjoy sea days but no I would not enjoy being couped up inside the ship all day!! (couped up being perhaps not the best choice of words on such a spacious ship but hopefully you can read my mind and understand what I am saying)

I think when folks are talking about this huge ship entering 'small' harbours or ports, they are not talking about the size in area, they are possibly talking about the depth of water these ships require to navigate alongside a jetty? (that's if I am reading their minds correctly)

I have never been on these ships so must accept that folks can get off this ship easily and quickly whenever it enters foreign ports but... With the greatest of respect this claim does fly in the face of some passengers experiences who no doubt are the constant whiners who lead sad and sorry lives and have nothing better to do and find fault with anything and everything that they experience whilst on holiday!! These folks have talked about long delays in getting ashore with the Commodore or on other occasions t6he captain offering apologies for the delays?? I have no idea and am just the happy go lucky messenger that is asking a question regarding this issue :)

Ooops I had best clarify that I have spent many a day lounging about on the upper deck of a ship getting cooked to gas mk II ;);) but not on a cruise shipand yes I have spent many a week\month at sea without stepping ashore or sighting land.

yes I agree and have posted that the QM2 should do TransAtlantic sails on a regular back to back schedule . March to December.

I do like the QM2 New England,Canada cruises.

The Queen Elizabeth did a great transatlantic in March. The new Queen Elizabeth is beautiful designed Ocean Liner. :)

I started this thread to see what the passengers who go on the Cunard Line, what their opinion is on this idea of mine which is Cunard should use the QM2 more as a Ocean Liner doing the traditional transatlantic crossings during the months from late April through October.Does the QM2 really need to do 2 New England/Canada cruises in September & October and the 3 cruises to Norway during this time? I'm not saying that Cunard should not use the QM2 for these cruises, 1 cruise to New England/Canada and 1 cruise to Norway per year should be enough for the QM2. Anyone have an opinion on this idea? Regards,Jerry

I'd say Cunard sees more profit in cruises than TA crossings. Every time I read about TAs everyone is talking heavy discounting.

Doesn't appear that the interest is there for a ship regularly on the TA run.

If Palmer's Titanic takes stage in 2016, I think he too will find the same difficulties after a brief honeymoon period. The ship will likely be sold off as a hotel or museum eventually, unless they redirect her to cruising (which would look odd).

"getting cooked at gas mk II" Translation, please.
A touch of humour... In harbour I have seen folks quite literally cooking an egg on the extremely hot ship's metal deck.

Laying out on the upper deck of a cruise ship under the midday sun may well cause sun burn for those not wise enough to take precautions hence the being cooked to gas mk II

Mr Google should usually answer most of our queries:

If you find that your gas mark I setting is a bit too cool, move the dial halfway to gas mark II and test the oven again. If the oven is too hot, adjust the dial a couple of degrees in the other (cooler) direction.

Archived