Carnival Pride vs. RCCL Grandeur of the Seas

IMKTDQT810

Hello Everyone,

These are the two that we are stuck in-between. Just for a bit of background. I have been on 1 Carnival Ship back in 1994 and a total of 4 RCCL cruises between 2 ships (Radiance and Enchantment) last cruise was in 2010. DH has only been on one cruise (Honeymoon, 2010). DS (age 9 at sail time) and MIL (On oxygen 24/7 and some mobility issues) have never been on a cruise. We are choosing the Baltimore port b/c we can drive it in one day and do not have to worry about flying. I love RCCL but think the Pride might have more to offer my son for his first cruise (mini golf, water slide) I know both ships offer the kids camps. My MIL will most likely stay indoors and I think the layout of the Grandeur would be nice and bright for her. Pride prices have not come out yet and if there is a big difference in price that will prolly help sway us. On the Grandeur we were told (via TA) that we would have to book 2 cabins since there are no cabins on board that have a Pullman and sofa bed. On the Pride they DO offer this accommodation. So, please give you your personal thoughts on both of these ships. Thanks!!!

If its not too much farther, you may also want to look at Explorer out of Bayonne NJ. I was looking at that ship and the Grandeur, but picked the Grandeur, as he will be almost 4 at sailing, and probably would not use most of the bells and whistles on the Explorer.

I looked at the Pride, but decided on Grandeur because I wanted 6 nights and liked the idea of seeing Bermuda.

Yes, I do think my MIL could get a Modified room (I don't think we need accessible since she is not wheelchair bound and we would hate to take that away from a guest who does NEED that room). We are considering renting her a scooter...but I do not see any modified cabins that either offer the cabin for 4...so we would need a connecting either way in the long run.

@RSLeesburg- I am originally from Jersey and we go there every few years to meet with family. From us that is an 8 hour drive (vs. 5 hr to Baltimore). I looked at a 7 hr drive south (Norfolk or Charleston, SC even) but with that distance I would want to travel the day prior and that would end up adding to more $ rather then us just getting up and on the road by 6am the day we sail. I would be too hesitant that we would drive there and the MIL (staying overnight) would freak out and not want to go, which at that point would NOT be an option to NOT go. =-) Thanks for the suggestion though....greatly appreciated.

@RSLeesburg- I am originally from Jersey and we go there every few years to meet with family. From us that is an 8 hour drive (vs. 5 hr to Baltimore). I looked at a 7 hr drive south (Norfolk or Charleston, SC even) but with that distance I would want to travel the day prior and that would end up adding to more $ rather then us just getting up and on the road by 6am the day we sail. I would be too hesitant that we would drive there and the MIL (staying overnight) would freak out and not want to go, which at that point would NOT be an option to NOT go. =-) Thanks for the suggestion though....greatly appreciated.

Understood. I think Baltimore is a little over an hour drive for us, maybe 2 with lots of traffic, and NJ is maybe 3-4 hours - even with that, we would also probably drive up night before, and it all adds up :).

PS: we floated the idea of bringing our in laws on a Christmas or Alaska cruise, and they quickly said, we have plans that week :eek: totally not interested in going on a cruise, so I can understand wanting to make any trip as easy as possible for your MIL. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I know I'm late to this party, and the OP may well have already made up their minds by now . . . but I would choose the Grandeur over the Pride, for the reason that MIL has mobility issues. I found the Grandeur to be bright and airy and very easy to get around, but the Pride was dark (to the point of being kind of gloomy) and not as easy to navigate.

(You may be wondering how I know about the Pride, given that there is no mention of a voyage on her in my signature. I was fortunate enough to be able to take a tour of her once, while she was in port preparing for her next sailing. For pretty much the entire tour, I kept thinking to myself, "I like [whatever feature I was looking at] better on the Grandeur." It was enough to make me decide that I wouldn't be happy on a cruise on the Pride.)

Thank you for your response...always better late then never when it comes to advise and suggestions. A few things have changed since my original post. 1- MIL has decided not to cruise with us. She said that it would not be her cup of tea, she would feel uncomfortable on the ship and that mobility issues would stress her out more then enjoying her surroundings. We understood and were happy she had decided to make that decision this far out, rather then on the fence for the next couple of months prior to booking. The other changes 2- to go on a 5 day instead of a 7 day and 3- sail carnival (due to reduced price and offering a 5 day) but NOT on the Pride. I would not feel comfortable on a darker ship since I have mostly sailed on RCCL. So, we are going to consider the Fantasy our of SC for a 5 day. So all in all.....it's all coming together.

Archived