Chichenitza

mikefast

We are considering a cruise to Merida, Mexico. Is there enough time to leave when the ship docks and go to Chichenitza? The ship would dock at Progresso at 7:30 in the morning, and sets sail again at 4:00 P.M. I know that isn't a lot of time, I'm just wondering if anybody has done this. The ship is the "Triumph" and sails from Galveston, Tx.

No need to book thru Carnival. Auto Progreso is also the company that the cruise line uses to bus people back and forth from the pier

I live in TX too, so Im well aware of this. Been there many times.

Auto Progresso has many well priced excursions which are a great bargain.

These kind of far away ruins are the only ones I wouldnt do thru them.

Autoprogreso donates the *free* buses to Carnival but there is no real relationship between the two. I' sure Autoprogreso is good, I just have always booked through the cruise ship there.

Both should drop you off back at the cruise ship, but if going with Autoprogreso you need to take their free shuttle bus into town and catch the tour there. We like the convenience of leaving from the cruise terminal.

Yes, there is time to do Chichen Itza. The Uxmal ruins are our personal favorite, but both are worth doing. Chichen Itza is just so huge and there are tons of vendors. Also, you can no longer climb the structures at Chichen Itza but there is one at Uxmal that you can.

I'd rather pay the $85 and be guaranteed that Carnival will wait for me in case of an emergency. Treat it as trip insurance.

This. That's way too far of a drive for me to risk it. We're doing Uxmal on our next cruise and even then I'm booking through the cruise line. I like the trip insurance analogy. I'd rather pay the extra $44 now than pay to get from Progresso to Cozumel.

Autoprogresso may be very reliable, but things happen when you least expect it. Did any of us here plan that last flat tire or dead battery we had? I doubt it.

Chichenitza

Thought this was a food thread - New menu item - Try the Chicken Itza.:p

Can't wait till someone posts how much better it used to be.

Darn those cutbacks! Even the Chicken Itza isn't safe anymore! ;)

I'd rather pay the $85 and be guaranteed that Carnival will wait for me in case of an emergency. Treat it as trip insurance.

I assume you understand this is not exactly true. If you do not, you might want to search the topic, as it has been discussed so many times.

I assume you understand this is not exactly true. If you do not, you might want to search the topic, as it has been discussed so many times.

So you are saying if I take an excursion that I bought via carnival cruise lines and we are late the ship will leave us?

So you are saying if I take an excursion that I bought via carnival cruise lines and we are late the ship will leave us?

While possible, and has occurred, it is HIGHLY unlikely and Carnival would be responsible to get you back to the ship. With a third party tour, you are on your own.

The Captain is responsible for the safety of the ship and passengers on the ship, so if in his judgement it is necessary to leave, they might. Extremely bad weather (like a hurricane) could make it necessary. The port authority could also order the ship to leave (the ship could always decline, but unlikely)

Virtually all tours, through the ship or otherwise have cell phones, etc and reputable ones would know how to contact Carnival and/or the port agent to let them know if you will be late or if there are problems.

Interestingly, sometimes Carnival tours have been "rescued" by third party tours.

If at all possible, the ship will wait for you on ship tours and no guarantees on third party tours. It comes down to are you willing to accept the risk or do you want Carnival to?

They may leave, depending on how late you are (they can't wait hours, for example, and risk not making the next port), but they are responsible for getting you to the next port if that happens.

Although, honestly, Progreso is probably one of the better ports to be left in. The next stop is Cozumel, and it's fairly easy to make it from Progreso to Cozumel, you don't have to cross country borders, for example, and it's not that far of a bus trip.

They may leave, depending on how late you are (they can't wait hours, for example, and risk not making the next port), but they are responsible for getting you to the next port if that happens.

It is certain that the tours through the ship are in contact with the ship. If you venture out on your own, who knows?

Depending on how far the next port is, they could wait a long time. At some point it does become a business decision and perhaps a port decision (e.g. another ship needs the berth).

If a bus or a boat breaks down, a replacement can almost always be found and should not take hours. I have been on ship tours that broke down. One that comes to mind is a snorkel tour boat that lost one engine. I think we probably could have made it back to the ship on one engine, but instead a replacement boat was sent to pick us up and while waiting it was open bar. They even transferred the bar to the replacement boat. :)

Thank you, Coconut. That is exactly what I meant. There are a lot of different reasons why Carnival ships have had to leave before some of their excursions returned, but it is still a relatively rare event. When it does occur, they are indeed responsible to get you back to the ship.

Yes it is possible. The only difference is the cruise ship will schedule and pay for you to get to the next port.

It is still EXTREMELY unlikely that the cruise ship will leave a ship tour behind and not something I would worry about.

A ship tour would be in contact with the ship and they would know where you were. If, for example, you were to rent a car, or jump in a taxi, the cruise ship would have no idea where you were or how long you might be delayed.

we did Chichen Itza a week before the calender ran out and were told that all the vendors were been moved out side of the walls. you can climb it but you can walk up to it. it is a long way from the docks. wouldnt do it unless thru Carnival.

Archived