Ladies, ladies...why is it that....

herbnjod

Everyone here is talking about all the fads?!?

There is one simple rule to weight loss...burn off more cals than you take in. Very simple.

There are only three things you need to do:

Work out consistently and continue to challenge yourself.

Eat proportion appropriate amounts of lean proteins, complex carbs and healthy fats--have a treat every now and then.

Drink water.

there, that wasn't so difficult, and it didnt cost a fortune to buy a plan or a bottle of pills now did it??

icon_smile.gif

It is discouraging to see all the posts about pills, plans, and meal replacements.

Celebrity Century

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;10;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Millenium Thanksgiving!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;11;21;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Thanks for your comments. But everyone has to find what works for them. If it's a new way of live, so be it. The principal's the same, just a different way of getting there.

Beth

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;10;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Mariner of the Seas Reali-Tini Cruise Oct. 16/05

I will agree this time with my weight loss I did nothing special except drink water, exercise and watched my calorie intake. I kinda followed old fashion Weight Watchers with making sure I had veggies and fruit and protein.

No pills, no books, no fads.

Lisa L

Monarch of the Seas-March 2002 West. Carib.

MS Zuiderdam-April 2003 East.Carib.

Monarch of the Seas-December 2003 Baja Mexico

MS Oosterdam-May 2004 Alaska

Till we set sail on the MS Ryndam-Sea of Cortez-November 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800<center>

Till We set sail on the MS Westerdam-Western Caribbean March 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;03;13;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800<center>

href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Sounds easy..doesn't it?

Maybe for some it is..do all that and lose!

Others it's harder. They have to find something that works for them.

Some people can eat more than others and lose.

Some can do less exercise or none and lose.

Some have to drink little or no water and lose.

Some have to drink "tons" of it to lose.

There's medicine people take, our hormones, ect.

There is so many factors people have to deal with. Everyone has to find what works for them.

If one diet works better then another for a person.. More power to them.

All we can do is try what works for us. If we have to change it after awhile..we do it.

All we can do is keep at it..eat healthy..try our best! That's why we're all here.

OK I'll shut up now..also this is my opinion ,

my two cents. Know others might feel different but that's alright. That's what this board is all about..give opinions, advice ect.

Take what you want from it, what helps you.

To enjoy this board you don't have to agree with everything said.

Justs enjoy us and all the different posts.

(Gee I'm on a talking streak this afternoon)

Just wondering--does herbnjod prefer that those who don't have the motivation or willpower to do those 'simple things' consistently for the rest of their lives just resign themselves to being overweight rather than trying other types of diets that may fit their lifestyle better or be easier for them to stick to?

Diamond Princess 11/2004; NCL Sky, 1/2004; NCL Wind, 3/2003; Carnival Legend, 12/2002; Zenith, 1/202; R5, 5/2001; Destiny, 9/2000; Westerdam, 1/2000; Sensation, 11/1999; Tropicale, 11/1998

Simply put - everyone is different. Not only do different styles of eating work for different people, but different types of food effect people in different ways. It's not a simple matter of eating less calories than you burn. That leads to starvation diets, which only slow down the metabolism and make overeating more likely. It's a matter of finding out which foods make you lose weight and which foods don't. For some, low carb is what works for them. For others it's low fat. Also, you have to watch the amount of sodium that you take in, otherwise you retain water. Some people need more exercise than others. Some people are doing the wrong type of exercise. The only person who can tell what's right for one's body is oneself. You can try to follow all the programs out there and still not lose weight, so you have to use them more as guidelines as opposed to hard-and-fast rules, tweaking and making changes as you need. I've never been afraid of not doing exactly as a program said because it wasn't put together specifically with me in mind. The same thing goes for exercise. As has been previously stated, you have to find what works for you. I'd rather spend money on a program that I can work with than beat my proverbial head against a wall and not get anywhere.

9/20/04 Sovereign of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;9;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500Roll Call

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SueSea:

Just wondering--does herbnjod prefer that those who don't have the motivation or willpower to do those 'simple things' consistently for the rest of their lives just resign themselves to being overweight rather than trying other types of diets that may fit their lifestyle better or be easier for them to stick to?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately those w/o motivation and/or willpower usually do resign themselves to being heavy.

My point was this....If you consume more than u burn, you gain. Period. It really is that easy. Isn't it all about health anyway? Or isn't it supposed be?

I know different things work for different ppl, I've been there, tried that, and it always comes down to one thing. Calorie consumption.

The fads touted on this board while helpful to some, are fads.

Celebrity Century

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;10;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Millenium Thanksgiving!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;11;21;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I don't think any of us are here to criticize what others chose to do. Being judgemental helps no one. What works for me may not work for you. Who am I to say they're wrong?

Beth

<font face='Comic Sans MS' color=6B8E23><font size="2">

<marquee width=50%>Until Mariner Reali-tini Cruise</marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=6B8E23&cdt=2005;10;16;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

CLICK HERE for the ROLL CALL

<center>realitini1.jpg

realitini2.gif

realitini3.gif</CENTER>

<font size="1">

Just about everyone who posts to this board comes for the support. There is no one way that works for everyone. While calorie consumption is key to losing weight for most people, it's not always the problem -- I'm an example. My rapid weight gain was caused by steriods, NOT eating or lack of exercise. I don't eat desserts or snack, never have. I finally found something that worked very well for me. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, it won't work for everyone. But it did for me and I'm actually eating more now than when I was overweight.

I see some of these diets out there. Perhaps they give the structure to eat properly to those who need more structure or instruction. I'm not sure, it's just a guess.

Host Miriam

Community Supervisor

ldrscruisemir7@aol.com

<font face='Comic Sans MS' color=6B8E23><font size="2">

<marquee width=50%>Until Mariner Reali-tini Cruise</marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=6B8E23&cdt=2005;10;16;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

CLICK HERE for the ROLL CALL

<center>realitini1.jpg

realitini2.gif

realitini3.gif</CENTER>

<font size="1">

Well put, Host Miriam. Most people don't have a clue what they're putting into their mouths as far as nutritional content is concerned. If that is the case, having a meal plan put in front of them gets them on the right track.

Those food labels are very confusing and can be very misleading too. Many labels are written in such a way as to present the food as "healthy" when it really isn't. Example: Just because a Snickers bar may have around 250 calories (I'm just guessing here), is it ok to consume it rather than eating 250 calories from maybe some seafood? Some people can get away with it, but most of us can't. Therefore, we need to be educated as to what our bodies need to be healthy and to keep our weight down.

I say, what ever works best for you. I've never done Atkins or South Beach, but the WOE that I'm on works for me and that's what I'm sticking with. My SIL did real well on Atkins till she went off (various reasons) and she dropped a whole lot of weight. I personally couldn't survive the induction phase, but she did just fine.

Majesty of the Seas 06/01

Monarch of the Seas 06/02

Explorer of the Seas 05/03

Navigator of the Seas 06/05/04

Many of you have mentioned WOE...is that a general way of eating or is it a particular plan? Please excuse my ignorance!!!!

By the way, I stayed home today, wrote down everything I have eaten and drank lots of water. Didn't exercise,though. I am trying to get back on track.

I don't want to get anyone angry...but I,too, believe that we have to burn off more calories than we consume. The thing that concerns me with more extreme types of diets is that 1 or 2 years after, many people are back where they started...whereas if you change your lifestyle (as in weight-watchers) you can control your maintenance as well as your loss. Anyway you look at it, we have to eat more carrots and fewer snickers!!!!!

More power to all of us!!!!

It was not my intention to "criticize" anyone at all. I'm simply trying to emphasize that fads, pills and plans while they may work temporarily are just that, temporary---for most ppl. WOE is a much healthier way of loosing weight accompanied by excersize, and consistency. My point was that most of these diets fail because they aren't a plan ppl follow forever. Most are unscientifically prooven, and many fads are unsafe. The end result should be health, not sacrifice thereof in place of what the scale says.

Celebrity Century

Millenium Thanksgiving!

Way of Eating (WOE) is whatever plan you can live with for the rest of your life in order to remain healthy and fit. (That's my interpretation anyway). In my opinion you should choose a plan that works for you that you can live with forever (with minimal cheating on special occasions!) I agree that some of those fad "diets" work great, but they aren't realistic for most people to stay with for 20 years or more. Once you go off of them, your body is so confused that it "grabs" whatever it wasn't getting and the weight goes back on and then some. I've seen my mother-in-law and sisters-in-laws go thru this so many times that it's heartbreaking.

Lynn

Majesty of the Seas 06/01

Monarch of the Seas 06/02

Explorer of the Seas 05/03

Navigator of the Seas 06/05/04

Archived