Renting a car while in Monte Carlo

highlandshores

We will be in Monte Carlo for 2 nights and was thinking about renting a car to go to Cannes and other locations then driving to Nice to catch a flight. Is this a place where we should be renting a car? I have read about the traffic, parking. Riding along the coast winding road with no guard rails etc. So should we or should we not is the question. Not in the mood to run off the road like Grace Kelly! :( thanks

There are plenty of guard rails. Many improvements in the past 40 years!

The roads are fine. Well kept and well marked. We drive there all the time. You will love driving the Moyenne Corniche to Nice.

If your hotel has parking you will be fine and there are plenty of parking garages in the cities.

Have you considered staying in Nice?

We will be in port from 8 am until 11 pm mid November this year. I have done some searches but am having trouble finding one that we could reach easily from the tender port in Monte Carlo. We want to see Eze, the Chagall in Nice, and head back to Monaco. Suggestions? Or should we just rely on the bus to Eze and then bus to Nice and either bus or train back to the ship?

Pearl

Well personally, we like to have the convenience of a car....especially when you factor in the irregular bus schedule to Eze Village. As to the rental car agencies in the city you can either take a nice hike or use a taxi. Its been awhile since we rented a car in MC so not sure if any of them will give you free pick-up at the port. We used to like when they tendered into MC because several rental car agencies were not to far :)

Hank

We will be in port from 8 am until 11 pm mid November this year. I have done some searches but am having trouble finding one that we could reach easily from the tender port in Monte Carlo. We want to see Eze, the Chagall in Nice, and head back to Monaco. Suggestions? Or should we just rely on the bus to Eze and then bus to Nice and either bus or train back to the ship?

Pearl

You definitely need a car. It would take you too much time to use public transport.

Try autoeurope.com They seem to have more locations than others, including train stations.

I did a search on autoeurope but I am not sure which would be the best office to use: Downtown 27 Blvd. Albert 1er France or City Office 47 Avenue de Grande Bretagne France? Appreciate the feedback. I tried to find directions from port to these addresses but my search skills must be out to lunch today.

The prices are really high like $300 USD. We will have no luggage but do want the insurances. We were just lucky the last time so feel it is worth the extra money. We have our own GPS with French maps. I know that won't help in Monte Carlo proper but it will for Eze and Nice.

Pearl

Folks should understand that Autoeurope (and its sister company called Kemwel) is not a true rental car company and has no locations. Autoeurope is what is known as a "consolidator" or discounter. They enter into contracts with real rental car companies (primarily Hertz and Europcar) and sell them at rates that can be a lot lower then the normal rates. Their insurance options are also somewhat different which can be a real plus. Also keep in mind that under the terms of their contracts they have a 3 day minimum with all their rentals.

When you see multiple offices for the same city on the Autoeurope site it is because they are usually listing both Europcar and Hertz locations. The deals for each of these companies is different so it pays to explore all the options. They are also very helpful at their toll free number. There US Office is in Portland, Maine..but they do have convenient toll free numbers that you can access from most countries in Europe.

Hank

Folks should understand that Autoeurope (and its sister company called Kemwel) is not a true rental car company and has no locations. Autoeurope is what is known as a "consolidator" or discounter. They enter into contracts with real rental car companies (primarily Hertz and Europcar) and sell them at rates that can be a lot lower then the normal rates. Their insurance options are also somewhat different which can be a real plus. Also keep in mind that under the terms of their contracts they have a 3 day minimum with all their rentals.

When you see multiple offices for the same city on the Autoeurope site it is because they are usually listing both Europcar and Hertz locations. The deals for each of these companies is different so it pays to explore all the options. They are also very helpful at their toll free number. There US Office is in Portland, Maine..but they do have convenient toll free numbers that you can access from most countries in Europe.

Hank

Hank is quite right. For example, we have a car rented in Nice in a few weeks with pickup at the airport and drop off at the train station. The reservation voucher clearly specifies pick up at Europcar. On other occasions it has said Hertz or a local company (forgot the name). They have always been very reliable and had very good prices.

• 2 weeks later...

We rented from Hertz about 3-4 blocks from the ship, easy 10 minute walk or so. Drove to St. Paul de Vence and returned same day. Reserved online in advance. The hills getting out of Manaco are tricky and steep. Lots of one way streets.

We have also taken the bus to Eze and Nice which are both easy by bus, but Eze is hard with the schedule. With a car you will have much more time in your chosen cities. Note gas is very expensive, so is parking. You will need a GPS, it was a lifesaver for us. AND Cash for the tolls of you take the autoroutes rather than local roads.

Safe driving for you!

Bruce4fun

We rented a car with another couple in Monaco in June from Avis. They had made the arrangements so I'm not even sure of the full price, I think it was 75 Euros for the day, with a GPS, which was very helpful. Especially getting out of the city! We walked to the Avis office from our tender point, about 10-15 minutes. We had planned to take the bus, but as many have pointed out it is so much nicer to be on your own schedule. There was a bus to Eze at 9:55 or 11:55 (don't know an earlier time as we didn't think we'd get off early enough to get to the bus station after tendering) and I am SO glad we didn't do that as Eze got very crowded later in the morning with tour groups. I hadn't planned to rent myself as many places only have manual transmissions and I don't drive manual often enough to feel secure. And it is hilly! But the other guy was fine with it and it worked out great.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the info. We went thru Autoeurope and will pick it up from Hertz at the port location Guess DH will go over to pick it up then come back to pick up me and the other couple with all the luggage then on to the hotel. Will have to check as to where Regent docks and how far it is the the Hertz location.

@ marazul, no did not think about staying in Nice. We fly out of there back to the states. Hmmm wonder if we are making a mistake doing this. Will have to read up on Nice and check it out.

Thanks to all for the advice.

JE

Archived