Antarctica 21 nt w/kids?

gatorsfam

At the risk of sounding practical, does homework enter into the picture at all? Are they going to be missing much school?

Speaking as a student, an elementary school kid isn't going to have a lot of homework to begin with. It also isn't going to be much of a problem either, they can just go to their teachers and ask for as much homework as they can! And do it on the ship. :)

Speaking as a student, an elementary school kid isn't going to have a lot of homework to begin with. It also isn't going to be much of a problem either, they can just go to their teachers and ask for as much homework as they can! And do it on the ship. :)

That was my thought, since OP was worried about the kids getting bored on the sea days. And two of the kids are in high school, BTW. In any event, I am not suggesting that the kids should take along homework, but it was a natural question, given the OP's concern about keeping the kids occupied.

At the risk of sounding practical, does homework enter into the picture at all? Are they going to be missing much school?

A little bit.. What is intriguing about this sailing is the dates over the Christmas break (departs Dec 18th), so 2 of the 3 weeks they'll be out of school already. So to the extent we would be able to get their homework ahead of time, they'd have plenty of time on the ship to complete those assignments. They'd probably only miss about 7 or 8 days of school which wouldn't be too bad.

A little bit.. What is intriguing about this sailing is the dates over the Christmas break (departs Dec 18th), so 2 of the 3 weeks they'll be out of school already. So to the extent we would be able to get their homework ahead of time, they'd have plenty of time on the ship to complete those assignments. They'd probably only miss about 7 or 8 days of school which wouldn't be too bad.

same with us- DS got out of school on friday before Christmas holiday - we left for Brazil on sunday- cruise started 3 days later 21 nights and then post cruise in BA, Argentina. He ended up missing about 10 days of school. We had the teacher provide us homework before we got out at holiday break. it was minimal though & all solely based on South AMerica/Antarctica- Math was travel related. Writing assignment was based on what he experienced & journal, etc

Fabulous time & would do it again in a heartbeat. Absolutely amazing trip. Fabulous weather. Falkland Islands were my favorite but so many things were a close second. We had a giant map of antarctica & So America hanging on the wall in the cabin with magnets. He marked our travel path. CHristmas & New Years were wonderful.

Club was a challenge though- almost none of them spoke english-- this was quite entertainig to see him work this out & still have a wonderful time not being able to communicate readily with them. He was the outsider too!! There were many families from Brazil on holiday (summer)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

That's too bad that you won't be on the ship. At final payment time, there were 30 kids. Next year's cruise leaves on the weekend, rather than midweek, and has a better itinerary. I would have waited for that but ds will be in university then and I'd rather have with an adult male with me in S.A., rather than just a teen girl and a 9 year old boy.

The pricing is good on this year's cruise. They have also split it into 2 possible departure dates - December 18 from Rio and a 17 day version, leaving December 22 from Buenos Aires. There's still lots of availability for anyone who would like to come! The scuttlebutt is that we will be going to the Falklands!

Man this would be so fabulous. Ballpark, what is pricing looking like on this cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After you check the cruise and air prices you will need to add in the reciprocity fees for Argentina and chile ($160pp) and the Brazil visa if you do that piece.

$1969 pp for an inside for the 21 day cruise +$420 pp taxes and fees. Since I've sailed with HAL before, my 3rd and 4th were under $400 fare plus taxes and fees.

For US citizens, $160 for the Brazil visa, $160 for the Argentina fee.

I'm Canadian, so my visa is $82, and $75 for Argentina.

We're going to Iguassu Falls for a couple of days prior and needed yellow fever shots. I just got back from the travel clinic. Yellow fever shots are not covered by healthcare. $195 pp. There's four of us. Ouch. Luckily, they're good for life. While there I learned the typhoid shots we got a few years ago last only 3 years. We went to Thailand just after year 4. :eek:

I got airfare in September. It was around $1400 pp (including the side trip to Iguassu). Now it's much higher.

The Jan. 29 cruise has a better itinerary, still 21 days, doesn't visit Brazil, so no visa required and the airfare is still reasonable, I could better flights for $1262. Cruise fare is $2800 pp for an inside, including tax and fees.

I need to pay more attention the the immunizations.. we went to Thailand earlier this year but didn't get any shots before... hmm..

The Brazil visa thing was a consideration so its nice to see that HAL opened up that shortened sailing out of BA.

One of these days for sure!!

I've never tried this ...:) ... BUT I've heard numerous folks on here say that the cabin walls are metal - thus work as huge magnet "atttractors".

It might be kind of cool to hang a large map on the cabin wall with magnets and each day, using the ship information on the TV, plot where you are and record the weather, winds and seas with the plot marks. That map will be nice to have for it's memories and after you get home the data on it would lend itself to math lessons including graphing, weather studies, etc.

Just a thought ..... :)

[quote name='summersigh']I've never tried this ...:) ... BUT I've heard numerous folks on here say that the cabin walls are metal - thus work as huge magnet "atttractors".

It might be kind of cool to hang a large map on the cabin wall with magnets and each day, using the ship information on the TV, plot where you are and record the weather, winds and seas with the plot marks. That map will be nice to have for it's memories and after you get home the data on it would lend itself to math lessons including graphing, weather studies, etc.
Just a thought ..... :)[/QUOTE]

I did just that but used poster putty. Got a whole slew of maps for SA, including one specifically for the fiords and tip, and one for Antarctica off Amazon. Our travel guide gave us copies of the route and plotted it for me on my giant map, and captain signed it. (His comment was you could navigate with that).