One and one half day in Copenhagen - Need advises!

Dear Danish Viking and other experienced posters,

After a good amount of homework, I come out the following plan; can you please critique the list and answer some of my questions?

1. June 29 Saturday night 10pm, arrive airport

Plan to take taxi to hotel

Bella Sky Comwell trip

Center Boulevard 5, Copenhagen 2300,

2. Sunday going to cruise port (Freeport)

Taxi or public transportation to be decided (we have two adults+ two college age kids).

3. July 9th, Nine days later, back to Copenhagen on Tuesday 7am

I will find a hotel in center city area for two nights stay, and we fly out at noon Thursday

Plan to take bus/train to hotel.

I assume after debarkation, check-in to hotel, it should be close to noon. So we have 1 and ½ days to tour this wonderful city.

Here is the list for places we’d like to visit in the city and outside.

4. In the City:

City Hall area

Stroget –

Round Tower (Rundetaarn) - open till 8pm -maybe

National Museum or Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek - Maybe depends on map location

Nyhavn - Canal Tour

Little Mermaid Statue

Gefion Fountain

Amalienborg

Rosenborg

Christiania and Christianshavn - maybe

Hans Christian Andersen Statue

Tivoli Gardens

5. Outside of the city we’d very much like to visit

Kronborg Castle in Elsinore and/or Frederiksborg Palace

Here I really need your help to figure out the logistics - the most time efficient and economical route:

a. Shall we visit the outside castles on the shorter day (Tue) and save the whole day (Wed) in town, or vs versa, or mix them?

b. Is it practical to visit both Kroborg Castle and Frederiksborg Palace? Are there public transportation to connect these two?

c. Based on my list, shall we get the Copenhagen Card or just the 24/48 hour transportation card? Can we buy the cards before cruise and then activate it on the day we need it, in case we can't get the cards at the cruise terminal when we get back? Is there any discount for college students and sr. citizens?

d. Assume we don’t get the card, If we buy the 10-pack tickets to use it from hotel to cruise port, can we still use the unused one when we come back 10 days later?

e. For the canal tour in Nyhavn, do you have to book it ahead of time, or it’s anytime anywhere, you can easily find one when you get there?

f. Which museum? We don’t pretend to be a big museum fan, but if we can squeeze time out, we still like to visit the most representative one, is Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek the one?

Thank you very much in advance for all your input!

Dear Danish Viking and other experienced posters,

After a good amount of homework, I come out the following plan; can you please critique the list and answer some of my questions?

1. June 29 Saturday night 10pm, arrive airport

Plan to take taxi to hotel

Bella Sky Comwell trip

Center Boulevard 5, Copenhagen 2300,

2. Sunday going to cruise port (Freeport)

Taxi or public transportation to be decided (we have two adults+ two college age kids).

3. July 9th, Nine days later, back to Copenhagen on Tuesday 7am

I will find a hotel in center city area for two nights stay, and we fly out at noon Thursday

Plan to take bus/train to hotel.

I assume after debarkation, check-in to hotel, it should be close to noon. So we have 1 and ½ days to tour this wonderful city.

Here is the list for places we’d like to visit in the city and outside.

4. In the City:

City Hall area

Stroget –

Round Tower (Rundetaarn) - open till 8pm -maybe

National Museum or Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek - Maybe depends on map location

Nyhavn - Canal Tour

Little Mermaid Statue

Gefion Fountain

Amalienborg

Rosenborg

Christiania and Christianshavn - maybe

Hans Christian Andersen Statue

Tivoli Gardens

5. Outside of the city we’d very much like to visit

Kronborg Castle in Elsinore and/or Frederiksborg Palace

Here I really need your help to figure out the logistics - the most time efficient and economical route:

a. Shall we visit the outside castles on the shorter day (Tue) and save the whole day (Wed) in town, or vs versa, or mix them?

b. Is it practical to visit both Kroborg Castle and Frederiksborg Palace? Are there public transportation to connect these two?

c. Based on my list, shall we get the Copenhagen Card or just the 24/48 hour transportation card? Can we buy the cards before cruise and then activate it on the day we need it, in case we can't get the cards at the cruise terminal when we get back? Is there any discount for college students and sr. citizens?

d. Assume we don’t get the card, If we buy the 10-pack tickets to use it from hotel to cruise port, can we still use the unused one when we come back 10 days later?

e. For the canal tour in Nyhavn, do you have to book it ahead of time, or it’s anytime anywhere, you can easily find one when you get there?

f. Which museum? We don’t pretend to be a big museum fan, but if we can squeeze time out, we still like to visit the most representative one, is Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek the one?

Thank you very much in advance for all your input!

We spent 1 1/2 days pre-cruise in Copenhagen last month and pretty much saw everything that you've described here. What I can tell you is that

Stroget is just a shopping area so there's no charge to stroll around and walk to the Round Tower (Rundetaarn) is about 20 minutes from Stroget. You do have to pay to get in and walk to the top of the Round Tower for a nice view and that's about it. When we were there it rained a whole full day so we put on the ponchos and kept walking for 6 hours to see everything. We did the Stroget, Round Tower in the afternoon, then also walked to Tivoli Gardens in the evening. However, since it was raining all day we did not bother to pay and go inside.

We did however, did the blue netto boats canal tour http://www.havnerundfart.dk/canaltours/ lasted about 1 hour during the next morning prior to getting on our cruise. The tour is an hour long and runs about 25 minutes from Nyhavn and our hotel http://www.hotel-bethel.dk/ is just right down the block from the canal boat. The tour was great and you do see a lot and it also goes to the Little Mermaid. However, it does not let you off at the Little Mermaid so if you want to take a picture from the front status, you have to walk from the cruise port which took us 45 minutes to get to the Little Mermaid.

We also visited the Christiansborg Palace which is about 15 minutes from the Nyhavn area or the canal. We did not buy the CPH card since it did not seem to save us any money.

A: Definitely take Kronborg and Frederiksborg castle on the long day, it can be combined with Tivoli in the eveniong so you don´t have that one on the shorter day.

B:

First take S-train line B towards Hillerød and get off at Hillerød.

The departure times from København H (central station) are 07, 17, 27, 37, 47 and 57 and it takes 42 minutes.

Walk to the castle in 15-20 minutes time.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Hiller%C3%B8d+st,+Hiller%C3%B8d&daddr=55.9307164,12.3010396+to:Frederiksborg+Slot,+Hiller%C3%B8d&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.930319,12.304673&sspn=0.007321,0.01929&geocode=FYtgVQMdkNm7ACnr50g9uUBSRjFOHajvrpSZwg%3BFVxvVQMd77K7ACkb3HkalkBSRjF1jDN0PSsPnA%3BFTCAVQMdw7O7ACFSYWskNKbGEinhQSl2l0BSRjFSYWskNKbGEg&oq=frederiksborg&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=16&via=1&z=16

Efter this you walk back to Hillerød Station where you take the Lille Nord train towards Helsingør.

The departure times are XX:00 and XX:30 and it takes between 26 and 28 minutes depending on the departures.

From here you can see Kronborg Castle.

From here you take the Øresund train back to Copenhagen departing at XX:03, XX:23 and XX:43 and that one takes 45 minutes.

Tivoli is located next to København H so a nice dinner in Tivoli and a few rides before you get home to the hotel is a possibility.

C: Definitely taker the Copenhagen Card, becauase the City Pass won´t cover the trip to the castles.

The klippekort has no time limit (except that all klippekorts expires in July 2014), but they stop selling them on June 30rd this year so you have to buy them before that date if you don´t buy the CPH Card.

E: It´s not required to preebook a canal tour but just remember if you take the Canal Tour´s Copenhagen (not Netto Bådene) you have to take them from Højbro Plads/Gammelstrand instead because the CPH Card is not valid from Nyhavn.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?q=H%C3%B8jbro,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.67773,12.579968&spn=0.003684,0.009645&sll=55.676725,12.58265&sspn=0.007368,0.01929&oq=h%C3%B8jbro&t=h&dirflg=w&hnear=H%C3%B8jbro,+1213+K%C3%B8benhavn,+K%C3%B8benhavn+K&z=17

F: Most representative museum of these two is probably the national museum but I can also recommend a visit to Glyptoteket.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Nationalmuseet,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Ny+Carlsberg+Glyptotek,+Dantes+Plads+7,+1556+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.673289,12.573099&spn=0.000921,0.002411&sll=55.673815,12.574164&sspn=0.003684,0.009645&geocode=FYSGUQMds9-_ACGvUootGGV13ilFmeq_E1NSRjGvUootGGV13g%3BFZSAUQMdf9e_ACl9dBEEE1NSRjGh5zjjTy6fWQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=19

Most if not all the attractions in the city are pretty much approachable by foot, I was wondering if I need the cards.

I am not sure how much you'll save by using the card. I guess you have to sit down and map things out which could give you a headache and stress. Lol.... Perhaps DV can help you figure things out. As for us (2), we pretty much paid everything with the Amex card and we did get good conversion rate. Also, since you have 4 people the cost in riding a cab it's almost about the same as taking the metro or train.

Also, DV said you can't use the CPH card in the Nyhavn which where we boarded boat which means no saving for you there for the boat tour if you are in the canal area.

Hi Jerseybird.

As you said, much of what you want to see in Copenhagen is very walkable. depending on how you want to do, or see it, will decide how long it will take. We did a complete walking tour that incorporated all of what you want to see in Copenhagen and we did it at a fairly leisurely pace, stopping every once in a while to shop, to browse, or just to take in where we were, and we did it in about 6 hours. It can be done quicker, but we had the time.

Depending on where you ship is docking, if at Langeline, you could even check on board and then go off to view the Little Mermaid as she is only about 10 minutes away from that pier.

Here are a few of my pixs of some of the things you wanted to see

Little Mermaid is right at the Langeline Pier and is a must see for all visitors

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe212.jpg

Not too far away is the Amalienborg Palace, If you time it right you can watch the changing of the guards

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe230.jpg

Not far from the Palace is the Nyhavn section. Just a wonderful area to wander around in, along with the Canal Boat tour

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe248_zps07b56845.jpg

On the tour you get a whole different perspective of Copenhagen

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe284_zpscc7bc696.jpg

Walking thru the Stroget, you will come to Town Hall square where you will find Tivoli, Town Hall and the Statue of Hans Christian Anderson

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe318.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe330.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers

Len

Btw on the Copenhagen Card website there is a calculator so you can see how much you save,

I took 2 adults and 2 kids aged 17 and 18 (just guessed) and with Tivoli, public transportation, Kronborg, Frederiksborg, Glytoteket and canal boat tour you saved around 800 DKK for a 48 card.

If you add Rosenborg, Amalienborg, The Round Tower, the royal reception rooms at Christiansborg andso on you will save when more.

Archived