SilverSea vs. Windsurf

e.h. beach bum

My wife and I are long time cruisers on Silversea and now considering B2B cruise on the Windsurf Nov 8 to 23 2013.

We were wondering if anyone had comments Windsurf vis a vis Silversea.

Can we expect children on board? Would this cruise line be considered upscale?

• 2 weeks later...

I have one Silversea cruise and 2 on Wind Surf. Some things will be different and some will be very similar.

You are really not nickel and dimed but it is also not all inclusive. I think all non-alcoholic drinks (not sure about specialty coffees) are included as are specialty restaurants. I would consider Windstar slightly short of luxury but definitely premium or upscale.

As on Silversea you will walk up to the front desk and they will address you by name. Service is very personal and excellent.

You will not find self service laundries on board. There is laundry service aboard but not dry cleaning.

Other than critical navigational times Windstar has an open bridge policy. The Surf has 2 teak wraparound decks which are great for walking but not appropriate for running.

One of the big differences will be entertainment. There will be music in a couple of lounges but no production shows, with the possibility of a crew show one night.

There is no prohibition on children but there will be few if any. My 2 cruises on the Surf were the November transatlantic and November 1-7 and we had no children at all.

Roy

Archived