Car Rental Places on the Islands

cruise88cruise

Hi Folks,

I will be on a cruise to Hawaii in October and wanted to rent a car on each island I go to and don't know which ones are the closest to the ship.

Do anyone know what port we will dock at and any recommendation on car rentals that is closest to the ship?

Kauai

Oahu

Maui

Hilo

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ann

A little reading on the board will explain that in all Hawaian ports, there will be car company shuttles if you are renting, with the possible exception of Lahaina.

Lahaina is on Maui. Depending on what cruise line you are on, you will be tendering in Lahaina, or docking in Kahalui. At Kahalui, the shuttles run to the airport, which is maybe 10 minutes away.

We have used Discount Hawaii Car Rentals for upcoming cruise in Sept. I contacted them and explained what I wanted and it was all done, 2 vans for each port. A very easy process, and as CruiserBruce said, there are shuttles available from the rental companies, except Kona, but we decided not to rent there anyway.

We booked with Discount Hawaii for Hilo and Maui. Both islands have shuttles from the dock in Hilo and the tendering point in Lahaina to the car pick up point. Fortunately on Maui, the pick up point is in Kaanapali. On Kona we went all out and rented a convertable from Dollar where the pick up point is in the King Kam hotel, also where we tender. The rentals with Discount Hawaii were very reasonable thus allowing us to spend big bucks in Kona.

We have been to Hawaii many times and on many of those visits we booked our cars on all islands ourselves. Now we use discounthawaiicarrental (website address) - very easy and hassle free. Shuttles will pick you up and return you to the ship or tender area. Have a great trip. Hawaii is wonderful and seeing the islands on your own is the best way to get the most out of your short time there.

Archived