can we bring Alcohol on board

kjwinston

I won't get into an argument about whether not this o.k. - I've brought on cases of wine in the past( we did pay corkage, which includes a tip for the server).

But I happened to follow the "How to make servers happy" thread, were the OP chastised others for being cheap and talked about slipping money as a tip in addition to kind words (nothing wrong with that!)

But it got me to wondering what would truly make servers happy. Perhaps if they got the automatic 15% gratuity from all those drinks that you've smuggled on board, they'd be a LOT happier. Just sayin'. It's not only the cruise line's profits you're cutting into, but also the server's wages.

Andrew

Cases of wine???? The TSA would not allow that?

OK, thanks for the Ideas, but the best one I think is ordering the Prem Statroom booze for $100 and order a few of them. Now, I can have that scotch while my Rebecca has the Bombay I want to buy her!

Tips are paid, done it right.

Now a another question? How big are the bottles (fifth or Liter - 1.75) Does anyone know? just want to know how many drinks are we goingt o get, for ordering.

and... Can you take this to the Public rooms?

Thanks for your time and trouble.

KJ

Actually, we've flown with cases of wine as checked luggage ever since the liquid ban. We've also shipped cases to the East Coast and then picked them up from our friends before boarding at East Coast ports. We wheeled the cases right on the ship, and no one said a thing. We always paid the corkage, giving the cruise line their profit and giving the sommelier their tip. We did this because the cost of our wines plus the corkage was still a lot cheaper than the comparable wines on board, and we got better quality because these were wines we knew we liked. On on crossing, the table of 8 brought 4 cases plus dessert wines. We certainly "floated" across the Atlantic on that cruise! We've also done it on Hawaii cruises.

While ship's personnel knew we did this, and since we paid the corkage, we felt o.k. about doing this. But, in reality, it's too much effort for most cruises, so we haven't done this in the last few years. We will bring the two bottles still if it's easy, but until flying gets less restricted, and second bag fees go away, it's less likely.

Andrew

Gimletgal, there are two levels of the in room set up, $80 and $100 and the Bombay is in the $100 level

I certainly know that. I was responding to a post that made it sound like the regular brand of gin would cost $100.

Now a another question? How big are the bottles (fifth or Liter - 1.75) Does anyone know? just want to know how many drinks are we goingt o get, for ordering.

and... Can you take this to the Public rooms?

Thanks for your time and trouble.

KJ

My experience is they are 1 liter bottles. And, yes, you can make a drink in your room and carry it with you anywhere on the ship. Make sure you ask for some cocktail glasses for your room as they usually only supply wine glasses. I always make a drink in the room and then take it with me to dinner - especially since drink service can be slow at the start of dinner. :)

Archived