can we bring Alcohol on board

kjwinston

If we pack our back and put in a bottle of Bombay Gin which is just $58 dollars here in Idaho, can we pack that. Otherwise they charge $100 a bottle of Gin, (not Bombay Gin) their brand.

Is this ok to get on board. I pack wine bottle(s) and as long as it is in my large suite case and I pay the $25 - $35 dollars seems to go through TSA at the airports, but what about the ships?

Thanks KJ

It is a violation of their rules to take it on board. If you have it in your carry-on, and they find it as you are boarding, and depending on the port of embarkation this is highly likely, they will take it from you and return it to you on the last night of the cruise. If it is in your checked bag, it may also be found, as they do screen most of the bags as they load them onto the ship. This would cause a delay in getting your suitcase delivered to your stateroom, and you would be called to the Guest Relations area (or some other designated space, the so-called "naughty room" where you would have to remove it and turn it over to them. Again, you would get it back on the last night. They don't catch every single bottle, but they do catch a large percentage of them, and it does cause delay (and possibly some embarrassment).

You're probably thinking of the $25 corkage fee if you bring a bottle of your own wine to the MDR for dinner. That applies only to wine, because as said above, Celebrity prohibits bringing on any alcohol other than the two bottle wine allowance on boarding. There are other lines that don't mind if you imbibe in your cabin but thus far Celebrity is not one of them.

My reading was that he was referring to the baggage fee paid to the airline. He would propose packing the liquor in his suitcase (since it cannot be in carry on for the plane trip). But as said, it will probably all be for naught, since it is likely to be taken once at the terminal or on the ship. Even some who pack their allowed wine have been called to the "naughty room" and asked to open their suitcase if the wine bottle resembles a liquor bottle on the screen.

When considering the price of the in-room set up, it's important to ask, what would those drinks cost were you to buy them one at a time at the bars? The price for the bottle seems very high, but the price of all those drinks bought individually is higher. And of course, there is the convenience of having the bottle in the stateroom. It's unfortunate that his brand of choice isn't one that is offered in the stateroom package.

On one of our cruises, people were being summoned to the 'naughty room' to open their suitcases. Needless to say, their luggage was delayed getting to their rooms. One person told me that a bottle of rum was taken and was going to be returned the last night of the cruise. That was alot of trouble bringing the bottle from home.

On another note, I had bought a couple of bottles of an Irish liqueur and they went in my checked suitcase. TSA placed a note on my luggage to tell me my suitcase had been opened and the liquor had been inspected. It may have been the unusual shape of the bottle.

Bombay Sapphire Gin is one of the choices under the Premium Stateroom Bar Set-up. Yes, it is $100.00 per litre but for us the convienience of having the bottle plus mixers waiting in our cabin when we arrive is a nice luxury. Also, there is no risk of breakage in our suitcase enroute and we can enjoy cocktails on our balcony without feeling like we did something wrong. No worries = "priceless" IMO.

If we pack our back and put in a bottle of Bombay Gin which is just $58 dollars here in Idaho, can we pack that. Otherwise they charge $100 a bottle of Gin, (not Bombay Gin) their brand.

Is this ok to get on board. I pack wine bottle(s) and as long as it is in my large suite case and I pay the $25 - $35 dollars seems to go through TSA at the airports, but what about the ships?

Thanks KJ

I see SOMEONE wants to be called to The Naughty Room!:D

BAD, BAD KJ!!!:p

I may get flamed for this, but after spending thousands for a cruise, I don't want the hassle of worrying about the cost of a bottle of booze or a couple of bottles of wine. They always seem to have plenty on board!

Thanks KJ

Have you visited the Celebrity website to read about the rules regarding alcohol?? Also, a bottle of regular brand booze is $80, not $100 and will be delivered to your stateroom along with mixers.

Where are you sailing from? The reason I ask is it may be cheaper to simply buy your Gin in the port of departure than home and deal with the packing issue. Celebrity does technically ban bringing on hard liquor (some are luck in smuggling it past the screeners) but does allow bringing on wine within limits (I think it is 1 750 ml bottle per passenger).

When we first started cruising 13 years ago the rules were more liberal so on one of our first Celebrity cruises we brought along a half dozen bottles of our favorite wine and a couple of bottle of hard liquor thinking that was the way to go. After that cruise we both decided it wasn't worth the bother. First, the airport check-in security didn't know whether to allow my six wines to be carry on (at the time there were no restrictions on liquids in carry-on) so we got held up waiting for security savants to finally OK the carry-on. Celebrity didn't stop us either. Then once on the cruise we found no real desire to be drinking cocktails in our room with our booze. We much preferred having cocktails in the lounges and restaurants. After all part of the purpose of cruising was to enjoy the ship's amenities and socialize with fellow cruisers. Drinking our own booze in the privacy of our cabin didn't fit that objective. And we figured that carrying our own bottle of rum into one of the venues probably wouldn't be seen as cool by Celebrity (LOL. Picturing that image in my my mind when the drink waiter asks what I would like and I reply no thanks because I have my own bottle with me. ) As for the wine, after paying corkage fees I decided that I could survive perfectly fine paying for Celebrity wine and eliminate the inefficiencies of transporting multiple bottles in my luggage. We wouldn't even bother with the thought to take booze with us now because we never check bags, only carry-on.

Here's a thought. What we did do on one our recent cruises out of Fort Lauderdale was to visit one of the liquor stores and buy a few of the small. individual cordial, airline drink sized liquor bottles to have available for the few times we wanted to sit on the balcony and not have to hike all the way to a bar to fetch a drink (in suite bars are terribly expensive). That worked well and Celebrity will probably never know that you bring those on board.

so is it only two bottles at initial embarkation and no opportunity to buy/bring on more in ports along the way?

And what about mixed drinks in cans? Are they allowed and if so, on top of the wine allowance?

The Celebrity policy is two bottles of wine at embarkation.

Liquor, beers, mixed drinks in cans, and other forms of alcohol are not allowed to be brought on board either at embarkation or from ports.

Some have had luck bringing more bottles of wine onboard from ports along the way, others have had their wines taken from them. How busy the security staff is as you enter the ship from each port varies, as does how vigilant they are at enforcing the rule. Some have even been able to bring liquor, but again, it varies by the port, the time of year, and who knows what other factors (for instance, they are more vigilant on spring break cruises in the Caribbean than on cruises around the British Isles, from the reports given here on Cruise Critic)

I won't get into an argument about whether not this o.k. - I've brought on cases of wine in the past( we did pay corkage, which includes a tip for the server).

But I happened to follow the "How to make servers happy" thread, were the OP chastised others for being cheap and talked about slipping money as a tip in addition to kind words (nothing wrong with that!)

But it got me to wondering what would truly make servers happy. Perhaps if they got the automatic 15% gratuity from all those drinks that you've smuggled on board, they'd be a LOT happier. Just sayin'. It's not only the cruise line's profits you're cutting into, but also the server's wages.

Andrew

Take a case of water of soft drinks and fill the middle bottles with your liquor.

Never had a problem.

You know Celebrity reads and monitors these message boards. Now this will stop they from allowing any of us from bringing on water or soda on board since you are going around telling everyone to smuggle on liquor in them.

You know Celebrity reads and monitors these message boards. Now this will stop they from allowing any of us from bringing on water or soda on board since you are going around telling everyone to smuggle on liquor in them.

I don't really think there will be any change. If they do read these boards they don't act on a lot of suggestions that would be improvements.

I'm sure once they read that people are smuggling in liquor disguised as water and soda there will be.

This and rumrunners, and manyother smuggling ideas have been on these threads for a long time--years

Archived