Screws Spa, Dominica

tbtma

Hi all, has anyone gone here, independent of a tour ? I have found a tour company Nature Isle that stops here as part of a tour, but Im just interested in hoping in a cab (if possible) and going there for an hr or two, possible, advisable ? safe ?

Thanks

Bonnie

Hi all, has anyone gone here, independent of a tour ? I have found a tour company Nature Isle that stops here as part of a tour, but Im just interested in hoping in a cab (if possible) and going there for an hr or two, possible, advisable ? safe ?

Thanks

Bonnie

Screw spa is not that far from port. You definitely can catch a cab there but you would have to arrange for it to come back and get you because there are no taxis waiting outside of the screw spa. You will love it. It is different and relaxing floating in the hot sulphur pools.

We were there about 2 years ago. We booked through Antours with a group of 12. Cost was $28pp but again that was a few years ago.

Everyone in our group enjoyed the experience. The ride in the van was an adventure, we got to see some interesting sites and the road, which was bumpy, made for an exciting ride. We stayed at the spa for about 2 hours. There were areas to rinse off and change. After changing they provided us with fresh fruit and bottled water or soft drinks. They also sold beer .

If we ever return to Dominica we'd go back there again. It was very enjoyable.

We took a half day excursion from the cruise ship to this "spa". It is an experience. It is different and very primitive. I enjoyed it.

I would suggest not wearing a white or light colored bathing suit and water shoes would also be a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there in april. It took a bit of hard negotiation, but we hired a cab for the day for $80. We went way up in the rainforest to Emerald pool. The drive itself was an experience. Very narrow, winding roads with scary drop offs. We walked to the waterfall and pool in a downpour, and had the place all to our self. We had a blast. when leaving, a tour was on the trail with about 20 people.

After the pool we went to screw spa. It costs $10 to get in. very primitive set up but what a beautiful place. They have about 5 rock pools with varying temperatures from hot to warm. Water is very cloudy and does have an odor to it. It is very relaxing. There were very few people.

It was an awesome day. I would definitely recommend doing it on your own.

• 1 month later...

I am also interested in perhaps getting an independent person to take two of us to Screw's Spa and Emerald Pool and maybe Mero Beach. We will be there on Norwegian Sun in November. We are totally open to joining a group as well but can't seem to find an organized tour to these 2-3 places. Any suggestions from anyone? This will also be our 1st cruise!

We were hoping to go to Screws Spa in November and planned to book a tour with NIE. HOWEVER, we will be in port on a Monday and Donaldson has informed us that Screws Spa is closed on Mondays. He wants to sub it with Tia Hot Springs. Can't find out much about this place so we're not so sure about it. Probably looking for a different tour now...:(

Anyone been to Tia Hot Springs? If so, comments please...

Thanks!

~B~

We were hoping to go to Screws Spa in November and planned to book a tour with NIE. HOWEVER, we will be in port on a Monday and Donaldson has informed us that Screws Spa is closed on Mondays. He wants to sub it with Tia Hot Springs. Can't find out much about this place so we're not so sure about it. Probably looking for a different tour now...:(

Anyone been to Tia Hot Springs? If so, comments please...

Thanks!

~B~

I have no experience with the location but I did some quick searching and if you look for "tia's bamboo cottages & hot springs" you will get some pretty positive info

Archived