Entertaining Toddlers at dinner

queenL

Anyone have any good ideas for entertaining toddlers during the long dinners in the MDR? My older daughter is easy- break out the leap pad or leapster. My tot is another story. DVD's don't hold her attention yet. Often times at this phase we just eat upstairs at casual dining but I don't want to do that every night.

We took all kinds of things (iPad, DVD player, coloring stuff, stickers, small toys) to occupy DD (2 years old) in the dining room.

In the end we used a magnetic princess book twice, coloring set (markers that only show up on specific paper) once, a foam puzzle & turned on DVD player once(did not make it through 1 episode of Caillou). We found there was so much going on that we didn't need much of what we brought. Our server had fruit for her right away. The fruit & rolls kept her occupied for a while. She also spent time visiting with friends at the table next to ours (friends who were in our group) and visiting with the 2 kids at another table next to ours.

We ate in the dining room 6 of 7 nights.

My suggestion would be to bring a variety of things with you & see what DD is interested in at that time. The marker sets that only show up on special paper are great and there was a 9 piece foam Disney puzzle from the dollar store that our DD liked.

having a small bag of toys/coloring books/etc is a great idea. The wait staff are generally really good about bringing things to keep kiddos occupied. I also observed my cousins fall asleep while waiting for us to finish, sometimes before their dinners came - maybe your DD will do the same?

When my DD was 2 I was having a very hard time keeping her quiet in church. I bought a bag of the bright colored fluffy balls from Hobby Lobby and one of the snack cups with an opening in the lid. She spent a LOT of time putting the little balls in the cup.

Pretty much like this:

534feb2f08c8009cd1703be07d311ae3.jpg

When mine were little and we had to take them somewhere boring for them, I would buy some cheap little toys and things to put in my bag as well as a couple of reliable favourites.

I found they were amused for longer periods with things they hadn't seen before.

The iPad ALWAYS works for mine as well - as long as you can cope with all the judgmental folks looking down their nose because they think them antisocial. LOL.

Thanks. I'm definitely going to head to the craft or dollar store for the colored cotton balls. She is in the phase where she enjoys putting things in cups and pouring them out again. I also found a My First Crayola Mess-Free 2-in-1 Doodle Board http://www.crayola.com/products/my-first-crayola-mess-free-doodle-board-product/ Seems perfect. No mess, but she can still use the water pen.

I'm toying with the Color Wonder markers my older daughter has those. My 15th month though I'm afraid she will just eat the tips. :)

I bought a bunch of small things from the dollar store and a fun bag and each night before dinner, I plan to put a few "new" things in the bag for LO to explore and play with at dinner. As it will be new, it should hold his attention, long enough for us to order. LOL. I am hoping he will be entertained by all going on around him, who knows. It will all work out I am sure. The waitstaff will be super accommodating as well to help out. Good luck. Love the ideas of craft store items too, will be searching those this week as we leave SOON!

All excellent suggestions. I'll just add one more - when you get on the ship, be sure to check out your table assignment right away. If possible, ask to be near a window. (I'm not sure if all lines let you switch, we've only been on RCI & NCL.) Our first cruise I was prepared with an arsenal of supplies to keep the kids occupied, but once they tired of the food and constant attention from the waiters, they would just quietly slip out of their seats and sit in the huge windows watching the water. I was amazed how long that view occupied them! Now I always make sure we are near a window, and they've always been happy to seat us there.

The waiters will dote on your children. Many of them have similar aged children or nieces/nephews at home that they dearly miss. It often seemed like if one of my kids was getting squirming, a waiter would instantly appear to do something to distract them - even waiters not assigned to us. After all that attention, it is kind of hard to transition back to land based restaurants. :D

Archived