Does anyone NOT plan?

I LOVE to research the places I am visiting, I love history and it's interesting to me to know about a port before I get there. I read over the ship's excursions to see what there is to do in port, and then I may book something from the ship or independently. The nice thing about Princess is the ability to pre-book an excursion and cancel anytime up until the cancellation deadline without being charged. I've been fortunate to be able to go on a vacation to someplace "new" (either via cruise ship or land-based) almost every year for the past 10 years, but when my kids were younger we just did the beach for a week thing for many years. I feel like if I am going somewhere I haven't been I want to make the most of my time there so I want to have some planning of activities, but not down to every minute of every day. On sea days we don't plan anything specific, but we always know we are going to go to the gym, and we enjoy the evening shows and usually go to one every night.

For me planning is half of the fun of going on a cruise. I love to spend hours researching the ports, the interesting places to visit, discovering things I had no idea about.

I love having a list of things planned for certain days it spices up the trip that much more and raises the excitement level when you pepper your trip with a variety of pre-arranged excursions and day-trips.

Jonathan

It seems very common that people like to research their cruises, book excursions, specialty dining, and anything and everything they can in advance. Spreadsheets and time guidelines. Just wondering if there is anyone else out there that doesn't do any of these things beforehand? I have never pre-booked anything, just kind of wing-it when I get on the ship. Am I alone? :eek:

Not plan? Horrors!!! I can't imagine it! Even if I book last minute I do whirlwind planning. I do however, have friends who don't plan. They argue that they "don't want to be tied to a plan." They just go and do whatever they find to do when they step off the ship. I don't consider myself to be "tied to a plan" either. I can change it or toss it to the wind anytime I want. But by at least having a good idea of what things are available to see and do and knowing how to use the transportation to get there, I have to say, I always see and do more than they do even if we're on the same trip. It can take a lot of time to figure out a train schedule and I'd rather figure it out at home than on my very precious travel time. But to each his own. They don't like to plan and I do and we both enjoy our vacations.

Archived