Does anyone NOT plan?

It seems very common that people like to research their cruises, book excursions, specialty dining, and anything and everything they can in advance. Spreadsheets and time guidelines. Just wondering if there is anyone else out there that doesn't do any of these things beforehand? I have never pre-booked anything, just kind of wing-it when I get on the ship. Am I alone? :eek:

You might be asking in the wrong place! Seems to me the folks on CC gravitate here because they're planners! :)

That said, we do like to be open to new things when we travel, so we "plan" for some unplanned time to facilitate that.

Guest maddycat

You're not alone. We don't pre-book either. We want to relax on a cruise and do what we're in the mood to do at any particular time. We don't want to be locked into a schedule. Of course, that will change when we sail on the Quantum. We'll have to at least book shows in advance.

You're not alone. We don't pre-book either. We want to relax on a cruise and do what we're in the mood to do at any particular time. We don't want to be locked into a schedule. Of course, that will change when we sail on the Quantum. We'll have to at least book shows in advance.

Yes, this is exactly how I feel! :)

It seems very common that people like to research their cruises, book excursions, specialty dining, and anything and everything they can in advance. Spreadsheets and time guidelines. Just wondering if there is anyone else out there that doesn't do any of these things beforehand? I have never pre-booked anything, just kind of wing-it when I get on the ship. Am I alone? :eek:

we very rarely pre book things and often just wander off the ship in port and look around with no plans at all.

We preooked one meal on our recent B2B and I looked into the public bus in Valencia on the first loop to do on the second, but that was the extent of our planning. We had a GREAT two weeks :D

You might be asking in the wrong place! Seems to me the folks on CC gravitate here because they're planners! :)

That said, we do like to be open to new things when we travel, so we "plan" for some unplanned time to facilitate that.

You might be right! ;)

We pre-plan to an extent (meal times & certain shows) but also allow for "it just isn't going to happen (aka sh_t happens)"........so we are not caught up / disappointed if something doesn't occur. Sometimes it is just the little things that we plan such as embarkation day "Roast Beef" or a glass of wine on our balcony.

Having said that - my DH already has some of his packing completed for our December cruise and you really don't want t2 page spreadsheet.

We pre-plan to an extent (meal times & certain shows) but also allow for "it just isn't going to happen (aka sh_t happens)"........so we are not caught up / disappointed if something doesn't occur. Sometimes it is just the little things that we plan such as embarkation day "Roast Beef" or a glass of wine on our balcony.

I agree

Sent from I phone 4s using Cruise Critic App

You're not alone as I also just wing it. Never pre-book anything in all my years of cruising. Been cruising since 1980. Many times the ship IS my destination and I personally enjoy the time on board the ship when all the "pre-planners" go a shore.

At the most we have booked some excursions. But like you we just go with the flow and go to ship activities we like from looking at the Compass for the day. So agree with superduper123!!!

I am with Scotty G above. Depending on the itinerary, we do book some excursions ahead of time. We pick our dining time. Other than that, we just go with the flow and take each day as it comes. :)

Not alone at all.

For us, it varies depending on the cruise.

Sometimes we plan -- sometimes we just wing it, especially when we book a pack-and-go last minute cruise.

For some cruises we do book some shore excursions in advance.

When traveling to a country where a visa is required, that is something that usually needs to be planned in advance.

But when it comes to how we spend our time on the ship itself, we like being free to do what we want as we feel like doing it - not needing to pre-book anything in advance.

We don't like being required to eat dinner at the same time every day, so we do not book traditional fixed-time dining.

We even book specialty restaurants on the spur of the moment and almost never have a problem getting in, although sometimes it may mean coming back a little later in the evening.

Ha ha ha !!

We don't book, we just go with the flow.

We have never pre-booked shows, excurisons, dining, drinks packages etc. etc.

We enjoy cruising to relax and mostly stay on the ships even when in port. If we fancy an excursion we'll book it on the ship a day or two before and if we fancy wine we'll book wine and dine in the MDR.

The only 'organised' thing I do is my paperwork folder with all the paperwork for all parts of the trip printed off and in order of use.

Happy Cruising :-)

Im pretty much a wing it type of person myself. I will research the ship a little as far as cabins and amenities goes but thats about it.

With that said, I dont do excursions or specialty dining so there isnt much to preplan anyway for me.

I did prebook the ice show on my last cruise only because I was under the impression that you HAD to.

I think you'll find there are lots of people who don't do extensive planning and pre-booking. To not do any planning or research would seem rather foolish, though. It's good to know a little bit about what things are available, so that you don't miss out on something you really would have enjoyed.

We are somewhat on the low end of planning, but I like to look at what excursions are available, so that if there is something really cool at one of the port stops, I can be prepared. I don't worry about some of the things others do, though, like knowing the menus and Cruise Compass schedules in advance. Most of what we do is "winging it." We didn't book anything in advance on our most recent cruise, but had an idea of what we'd like to do at the various ports.

I do like to have a plan for what we'll be doing at our ports stops. Sometimes, this will be booking excursions; other times, it will be just walking around town.

Still it's "a plan" for the port.

Otherwise, we don't really advance plan anything else. Specialty restaurants ... we book once on the ship.

LuLu

~~~~

Nope! The only thing planned is the cruise itself.

We go with the flow. Follow our mood.

No offense to anyone who enjoys this,but it amazes me when roll calls plan activities just about every day.......granted,I know I don't have to take part....but to me,some times it's overkill......Planning just about every moment with a group of people you probably never met..

I think you'll find there are lots of people who don't do extensive planning and pre-booking. To not do any planning or research would seem rather foolish, though. It's good to know a little bit about what things are available, so that you don't miss out on something you really would have enjoyed.

We are somewhat on the low end of planning, but I like to look at what excursions are available, so that if there is something really cool at one of the port stops, I can be prepared. I don't worry about some of the things others do, though, like knowing the menus and Cruise Compass schedules in advance. Most of what we do is "winging it." We didn't book anything in advance on our most recent cruise, but had an idea of what we'd like to do at the various ports.

We are like you. We have an idea of what is available and what we might want to do but generally decide what we'll do and how to do it when we get there unless it's a must do that might not be available otherwise.

We've never gone to a port and stayed on the ship either. It doesn't matter how many times we've been to Cozumel, we're getting off the ship and going somewhere. The "we've been here before" doesn't get it with me. How many people have a restaurant they like and never go back even if it's not anything really special.

We rarely do things with other passengers either because it's not uncommon for us to cover 5 - 10 miles on foot in a day.

Planning is required in places like Seward, Alaska where people are disembarking and have to get to Anchorage. Even if the plan is just to book the transfer once on the ship. Ports like St. Petersburg, Russia also require a little thought. If people don't research just that little bit, they'll be greatly disappointed when they aren't allowed off the ship because they didn't make a plan on which tour to take.

Winging it like you, with a little knowledge, is what we like to do.

Gina

I guess the short answer is "Sometimes" :rolleyes:

If it is a familiar itinerary, it is pretty much an "as the spirit moves us" type thing. If it is a new/special itinerary, there may be some "must do" things to pre-attend to. Travel arrangements usually require some pre-planning (also may require visa).

On a whole, this is indeed a vacation, not a regimented campaign. We like to leave room for serendipity. :)

Ray in NH

No offense to anyone who enjoys this,but it amazes me when roll calls plan activities just about every day.......granted,I know I don't have to take part....but to me,some times it's overkill......Planning just about every moment with a group of people you probably never met..

I've read horror stories after the fact in these situations as I'm sure you have, too.

Gina

Archived