Does anyone NOT plan?

We usually do the special nights at the specialty restaurants (wine dinner at Portofino), and frequently Chops, ahead of time. In the Caribbean, we may book something that really interests us ahead of time (excursion to St Johns on our Freedom cruise next month), and did book the ice show, just because...

Otherwise, in the Caribbean, we tend to wing it. Our cruise to the Baltics last year, on the other hand, had a LOT of planning!

We generally love just hanging out and relaxing. It's a vacation, remember????

It seems very common that people like to research their cruises, book excursions, specialty dining, and anything and everything they can in advance. Spreadsheets and time guidelines. Just wondering if there is anyone else out there that doesn't do any of these things beforehand? I have never pre-booked anything, just kind of wing-it when I get on the ship. Am I alone? :eek:
Of course, for some it's okay to not plan things ahead of time and to do things spontaneously. However, even if it isn't fun, research and planning will always save you considerable time, money and stress.

So personally I am no more likely to "wing it" (i.e. skip my research and planning) for a vacation, than I would to "wing it" when I buy a house or car, plan my retirement or make any major investment in my life. :rolleyes:

Once upon a time I was an avid planner. Nowadays I just go with the flow. Most of the time I'm vacationing solo, and I just let each day unfold as it will.

EXACTLY!!!!! When I cruise with friends we do pre plan some private shore excursions and have meals together for the most part and I love it when I cruise with them; but when I cruise solo....it is all about ME!!!!! I do what I want, when I want. Some cruises I never get off the ship - especially if I have been to the islands before.

For my next cruise, I went one step further....I chose Anytime Dining! No late seating at a table of 8 or 10 to meet other people. Sleep late if I want...check! Stay up late...check! Eat when I want by myself or with others....check! I may check into some private excursions if there is not a lot of walking or steps involved, otherwise I will just relax and enjoy the empty ship with like minded individuals.

I just made the reservation this morning and paid for it this afternoon, and I've already made reservations for Hairspray and Chef's Table. ;) Most of the nights, Hairspray was already full! The other shows, we will probably just see what we feel like on any given night.

So personally I am no more likely to "wing it" (i.e. skip my research and planning) for a vacation, than I would to "wing it" when I buy a house or car, plan my retirement or make any major investment in my life. :rolleyes:

I think 'most' of 'us' would also not "wing it" when buying a house, car, planning our retirement, or making a major investment. :rolleyes::confused:

Do these things even compare to planning an excursion, booking a reservation? :confused:

I think 'most' of 'us' would also not "wing it" when buying a house, car, planning our retirement, or making a major investment. :rolleyes::confused:

Do these things even compare to planning an excursion, booking a reservation? :confused:

Yes, they certainly do! I am spending between £8,000 - £10,000 on a four week holiday/cruise to Australia & New Zealand, Hong Kong & Bangkok (en route stop-offs ), pre and post stays in Fremantle and Sydney. That is five times the amount I have ever spent on a car and is a serious major investment for me as I am nowhere near what some would consider wealthy. So the excursions ,reservations and hours of planning and scheduling ensure I do not waste one minute of my 'serious investment'.

I think this question is also asked without asking how many cruises each person has been on. New cruisers plan more. New ports are likely more well planned. Repeat cruisers going to repeat ports are more likely to walk off and see what happens. Sometimes this is a more culturally accurate experience, too. Tours show us what they want us to see. Running into real local people in real places outside the immediate cruise port area can be interesting and eye opening. But it may not be for the first time cruiser or first time visit to a port.

Gina

Of course, for some it's okay to not plan things ahead of time and to do things spontaneously. However, even if it isn't fun, research and planning will always save you considerable time, money and stress.

Yes, they certainly do! I am spending between £8,000 - £10,000 on a four week holiday/cruise to Australia & New Zealand, Hong Kong & Bangkok (en route stop-offs ), pre and post stays in Fremantle and Sydney. That is five times the amount I have ever spent on a car and is a serious major investment for me as I am nowhere near what some would consider wealthy. So the excursions ,reservations and hours of planning and scheduling ensure I do not waste one minute of my 'serious investment'.

I don't believe you are 'most' cruisers.

If I were as 'invested' in a cruise as you, I too would probably do some "serious" scheduling, planning, and reserving. ;)

I also think I would not enjoy my vacation so much, ... if I had everything "planned". Don't want to be chained to the clock.

It seems very common that people like to research their cruises, book excursions, specialty dining, and anything and everything they can in advance. Spreadsheets and time guidelines. Just wondering if there is anyone else out there that doesn't do any of these things beforehand? I have never pre-booked anything, just kind of wing-it when I get on the ship. Am I alone? :eek:

We wing it. Goes for cruises and land vacations both. I don't need a set "schedule" to adhere to while relaxing. :) Others can't have it any other way though and I "get" that, just not for me..:)

If I were as 'invested' in a cruise as you, I too would probably do some "serious" scheduling, planning, and reserving. ;)

I also think I would not enjoy my vacation so much, ... if I had everything "planned". Don't want to be chained to the clock.

Exactly, could you imagine having to have to be somewhere at a certain time? For us that would be awful... we wake up when we wake up and we do whatever the mood calls for.

The only clock I care about is not missing the boat lol. Plus when you get off the ship there may be something else you notice that you'd rather do.

I research options but never plan anything.

The absolute last thing I want to do on vacation is follow a schedule. Might as well stay home imo...

I agree! I do look at the port information and will, sometimes, book a tour in advance but really hate to do it. My husband and I both enjoy just getting off the ship and walking around, we have had some great, spontaneous adventures!:D

I never book specialty dining in advance, have always made a reservation on the day we want to dine. The one time I booked the ice show in advance we skipped it as we were having too much fun and did not feel like going. We went to the next performance without reservations.:eek:

Sherri:)

Five times the amount you have spent on a car? What do you drive?:eek:

As far as planning, we do some research but don't like to over plan.

I am going on my first cruise next year on Liberty of the Seas. I am going to research ports and book excursions ahead of time, but leave a lot of wiggle room on sea days. I want to be able to sleep in or just veg out on deck for a while without feeling like I am screwing up my plans. Plus, as I understand it, most of the shows can't be booked until you get on board.

Perfectly said! This is my theory as well. To me a vacation is an investment of not only my hard earned money, but my precious vacation time and I don't want to waste a minute of it just wandering around. It is much more enjoyable for me to spend my time onboard relaxing as opposed to figuring out "what are we going to do today?"

For my Caribbean cruises I actually "double plan".

I have two options for each port, excursion or beach. We decide that day which we feel like.

Beach - I pre-research each beach to identify which one suits us best. Don't want to waste time and effort with the taxi driver onshore asking (which beach is fairly close by, does it get crowded, do they rent chairs/umbrellas, do they have rest rooms, do they have a beach bar, does it have a restaurant/good food, etc etc). I've already pre-determined the perfect beach for us so we can just hop in the cab and go. No decisions, stress-free.

Excursions - also research. Have found that there are many great (but highly popular) excursions that are often sold out weeks/months ahead. Going with the flow would not work here. That said, those "must-do" excursions are few and far between. Mostly we do the sites "on our own" when we hit the pier. I have a list of places of interest, may do all or part. Decide that day.

So am I a planner? Yes and no. I know all of my options when I walk off the gangway and decide at that point what I feel like doing "that day". I guess that counts as going with the flow.

This works for us as I thoroughly enjoy the research and anticipation and find it all part of the fun of cruising. This would not work for someone who finds research a chore.

Five times the amount you have spent on a car? What do you drive?:eek:

As far as planning, we do some research but don't like to over plan.

LOL! I could become Diamond, cruising in balconies or suites for what I gave for my last vehicle! :eek:

On the other hand, there wont be a whole lot of cruising for me until I can get it paid off :( Having a paid off vehicle allowed me to cruise at least once a year. She was very tired though and it was time to retire her.

I said all that to say this. Planning excursions, specialty dining etc all the way down to ever minute of vacation is in no way comparable to a major purchase such as a vehicle. I dont consider either an "investment" either.

Given that the typical cost of one of our vacations exceeds the price of some new cars, these things are indeed comparable to me!

I never made any assertion as to whether or not I am 'most' cruisers--just answering the OP's question.

And BTW, research and planning does not mean that you are "chained to the clock". Planning doesn't mean you are scheduled. It just means that you come prepared to enjoy your vacation. To "wing it" implies there is a sense of adventure in not knowing what you will do or where you will go. So I preferred to be organized and informed (even on days I end up doing nothing and relaxing), and rarely like to "wing it".

I am a super planner. Our last vacation was to Disney and I had a spreadsheet with all of the parks and the opening/closing times, what had early or late hours, our dining reservations and everything. I am trying NOT to be that way as much for the cruise as it is our honeymoon and I don't want my hubby to be feel like we are rushing all over the place. We only have one excursion that we definitely want to do.

Our first cruise was a surprise trip from our sons. We found out about this cruise less than 2 days before sail away. Nothing was planned other than transportation and hotels. We had a great time. If we saw something that looked good, we did it. If nothing jumped up at us we either spent time at the pool, bars or if we were in port we just wandered around.

Since then, when we cruise, I do research excursions. I feel that this might be the only time I will ever be in a certain area. I at least want to see or do something in that port so some planning is required. If we don't have any excursions planned, then we just wing it.

Given that the typical cost of one of our vacations exceeds the price of some new cars, these things are indeed comparable to me!

I never made any assertion as to whether or not I am 'most' cruisers--just answering the OP's question.

And BTW, research and planning does not mean that you are "chained to the clock". Planning doesn't mean you are scheduled. It just means that you come prepared to enjoy your vacation. To "wing it" implies there is a sense of adventure in not knowing what you will do or where you will go. So I preferred to be organized and informed (even on days I end up doing nothing and relaxing), and rarely like to "wing it".[/quote

"Comparable" ... to you, not most/typical, whatever. :rolleyes:

No one said that you made the "assertion." :rolleyes:

You are right, "research and planning" does not chain you to the clock, but scheduling, booking, reserving, etc., does. ;)

I always prepare to enjoy my vacation, thanks. ;)

BTW, I do inform myself of the ship, destinations, available things to do. I just don't carry around my day planner.

I hope you enjoy your 'investment'. ;)

For all you "Power" planner and schedulers, you do know that there is an App called "Shipmates" that you can download to your smart phone or tablet don't you???? You can select the ship and date of your cruise and it will have all the deck plans of where everything is located on the ship, pictures, checklists, etc and you can also put all your daily plans and schedule there and it is at your finger tips through out your cruise. You do not have to be on the network to view the information you put in it. There are things in the app that are interesting also, like "Ship Locator" where you can see where your ship or any ship is currently located and other things!

I might look at what excursions are available beforehand, but I have never booked one until I get to the ship. I think once I was interested in something that was filled, but did something else instead. I haven't really been all that happy with the excursions I have taken. They are expensive and regimented by necessity. The last cruise we didn't book one at all.

As far as booking shows is concerned, is that commonplace? I had to pick up free tickets to an ice show on the Voyager, because the rink seats were limited, but that's all.

I have always done major planning, pre-booking, spreadsheet etc....BUT our next cruise we have decided to just wing it! Oh, I get the shakes just thinking about it but just going to make no plans....no MDR...no excursions....no formal wear to pack, just relax this time around.

Archived