Tipping for Excursions

Cauzneffct

My wife and I are starting to figure out how much cash we're going to bring and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with tipping for excursions, either cruise or private. I'm assuming that its welcome/appreciated but didn't want to offend any guides if SA has a no or low-tipping culture (particularly in the Falklands; do they follow UK tipping customs or is it different?). Thanks.

My wife and I are starting to figure out how much cash we're going to bring and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with tipping for excursions, either cruise or private. I'm assuming that its welcome/appreciated but didn't want to offend any guides if SA has a no or low-tipping culture (particularly in the Falklands; do they follow UK tipping customs or is it different?). Thanks.

We tipped on our Amazon River cruise with Holland America. We had Brazillian Reals which were gratefully accepted. The river excursions had a "tip box" at the snack bar. The majority of passengers tipped. I think excursion guides are well aware that tipping is a standard practice on excursions throughout the world, and are happy to follow the custom.

I have never, in all my travels, seen a guide be offended if a tip was offered!

Karen

I have never, in all my travels, seen a guide be offended if a tip was offered!

Me neither, but someone on a different thread stated that it is not customary to tip in Australia and that some find it offensive (for some reason), coupled with other threads discussing the tipping culture of parts of Europe, so I figured I'd check with the experts lest I set off an international incident.

Thanks for the info everyone.

You can always ask the shore excursion office on board the ship what the local custom is. I haven't been to Australia, so I can't comment, but in Eastern Europe they were happy to accept tips.

Karen

On 3 S.Am. cruises during the past 3 years, taking either ship or private tours in most ports (including Stanley), everyone seemed to very much appreciate receiving a tip.

John

• 1 month later...

Archived