Will I need a car seat for these ports? (What can we do w/o a carseat?)

sherry7

Just to clarify, I do NOT want to start a car seat debate. :p I'm very aware of car seat safety, and my daughter rear faced until after age 3, and is presently forward facing in a 5 point car seat.

We are planning an Eastern Caribbean cruise for January 2014. DD will be 3 3/4 years old at that time. We're driving to the port (so no flying), and we'll be going to San Juan, St Thomas, Labadee, and Samana, Dominican Republic. I've been to all of those ports in the past, except Samana. But, since we didn't have a small child at the time, I didn't really pay attention to transportation, car seats, etc.

I can't even fathom having to carry a car seat around while we visit the ports, so I guess we need to plan to do things that are within walking distance of the ship. I know that Labadee won't be a problem, but I'm not so sure about the other 3 ports. Does anyone have suggestions of things to do with an almost 4 year old that don't involve having to use a car seat? For the ports of:

*San Juan

*St Thomas

*Samana, DR

Thanks for your suggestions.

Are you open to using some sort of transportation that doesn't involve carseats, or are you not wanting to be in any vehicle at all?

Old SJ is fairly easy to walk around..., although there are alot of hills!

St. Thomas does have open-air bus/cab....that will take you places...no carseat required.

You know, a guidebook would be very helpful to you in planning your time ashore.

Are you open to using some sort of transportation that doesn't involve carseats, or are you not wanting to be in any vehicle at all?

Old SJ is fairly easy to walk around..., although there are alot of hills!

St. Thomas does have open-air bus/cab....that will take you places...no carseat required.

You know, a guidebook would be very helpful to you in planning your time ashore.

My preference would be no vehicle at all, since DD wouldn't be strapped in. I thought about guidebooks, but I never seem to have to time to actually sit down and read anymore...unless you count children's books. :p

St Thomas has a lot of "open air safari buses" which are Ford trucks with 5 benches installed in the back. Considering you rf your daughter until 3 yrs, I would strongly suggest you avoid this mode of transportation! If you are open to car seat use, we found many vehicles with 3 point locking seatbelts and top tethers. We went to Coki Beach and Coral World this way.

Is she 40 pounds? Bubble Bum (available at Target and online) is a great option. It deflates and fits in a purse. It is only the IIHS best bets for boosters and since you'd be sitting next to her, you could monitor her position closely. Obviously wouldn't be my everyday solution for a 4 year old, but easier than a traditional harnessed seat.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

DS will be the exact same age when we cruise, and will also have a 18 m old. I want to be able to do an excursion or two, so we will be getting a bubblebum for DS, and taking DD's travel carseat (Cosco Scenera) which sits nicely on top of our Maclaren Volo. I will strap the Scenera to the Volo stroller, and belt DD into the carseat, then take the carseat out and install in cabs as needed. GL!

San Juan: the free trolley system includes several routes, a couple that run around old town, and a couple others that also run to the two forts.

St. Thomas: many of the local "taxis" are multi-row trolley vehicles that are basically open-air buses. They can take you to any number of great local beaches or to downtown Charlotte Amalie. Or as someone already mentioned, if you are docked at Havensight, you can walk and take the cable car to Paradise Point.

In each of the above, the multi-row trolleys or vehicles that are often used don't have seat belts anyhow, so what your risk-tolerance for being unbelted in larger trolleys/buses?

• 3 weeks later...

I would vote against the open-air buses in St. Thomas. They are not like a standard U.S. tour bus, whose seats are designed to help contain and cushion the riders in the event of an accident. Instead, these vehicles merely have benches, one in front of the other, and open sides. I rode in one, with trepidation, and at one point the driver suddenly slammed on the brakes . . . and DD (who was exactly the same age that the OP's daughter will be when they take their cruise) tumbled to the floor. She was upset and crying the rest of the ride, but otherwise basically unharmed. Still, I wouldn't chance it again.

If your ship docks in Havensight, you can walk to the aerial tramway, or do the Butterfly Farm. (We did the latter, and it was a big hit with the kids.) If you dock at Crown Point, you're out of luck. There do exist some "normal" vans that are used for taxis, so you can get one of those and use the regular seatbelts, if you're comfortable doing that.

Archived