Help/Advice needed - one way car rental Fairbanks to Seward

karensc

We are booked on the Celebrity Millenium leaving Seward on the 6th of September, 2013, and have planned a ten day land trip on our own before boarding the ship. We fly into Fairbanks on the 28th of August and have reservations in various locations (two nights Fairbanks, two nights just outside of Denali Park, one night Anchorage, two nights on the ocean on the Kenai Peninsula, and two nights just outside of Seward) before the cruise. I have been looking for car rental optioins and am completely shocked at the cost. :eek: Hertz appears to be the only option to drop off in Seward and they are quoting me around $180 per day for the smallest car. Does anyone have other suggestions? The places we are staying will require a rental car, for the most part. Thanks for your expertise and suggestions!

Karen from South Carolina

We are booked on the Celebrity Millenium leaving Seward on the 6th of September, 2013, and have planned a ten day land trip on our own before boarding the ship. We fly into Fairbanks on the 28th of August and have reservations in various locations (two nights Fairbanks, two nights just outside of Denali Park, one night Anchorage, two nights on the ocean on the Kenai Peninsula, and two nights just outside of Seward) before the cruise. I have been looking for car rental optioins and am completely shocked at the cost. :eek: Hertz appears to be the only option to drop off in Seward and they are quoting me around $180 per day for the smallest car. Does anyone have other suggestions? The places we are staying will require a rental car, for the most part. Thanks for your expertise and suggestions!

Car rentals are always expensive in Alaska . This year the rental from Avis was $120 for a compact and mini van was over $200.

Does your flight stop in Anc before going to FAI? One option would be to get off the plane in Anc and get a RT rental, then wehn you drop the car off in Anc, pick up the Hertz car for the 2nd leg of your trip.

Otherwise ..... price a rental with pick up in FAI and drop off in ANC; this will open up the other rental companies besides Hertz. Then in Anc rent a HERTZ vehicle for the next leg of your trip. If you stay IN Seward you don't need a car so perhaps you can turn it in a couple of days early. There are hotels and B&B's in town. A taxi anywhere around town is only $6-7 and the shuttle to exit glacier is $10pp. There's also a free shuttle that travels from the harbor to the downtown area .. not sure when it ends. Check the Seward web site.

In what town are you staying on the ocean?

You could also take the train or bus to Seward and pick up a RT rental car at Hertz for the Kenai part of your trip.

:eek: Hertz appears to be the only option to drop off in Seward and they are quoting me around $180 per day for the smallest car. Does anyone have other suggestions? The places we are staying will require a rental car, for the most part. Thanks for your expertise and suggestions!

I'm getting $152/day including taxes & fees using the CodeBuster search on http://www.rentalcodes.com .

One thing I wouldn't do is wait around too long.

Since there's only 1 rental agency in Seward, you are at their mercy. Rates could go higher. Book the best rate you can find now & keep checking back for lower rates.

Does your flight stop in Anc before going to FAI? One option would be to get off the plane in Anc and get a RT rental, then wehn you drop the car off in Anc, pick up the Hertz car for the 2nd leg of your trip.

QUOTE]

This could be bad advice. IF they are round trip/multi city with their flight, and they don't complete it, the REST of their flights are canceled. IF this happens to be a one way booked flight, then they can not check any luggage, and only have carry on.

I'm getting $152/day including taxes & fees using the CodeBuster search on http://www.rentalcodes.com .

One thing I wouldn't do is wait around too long.

Since there's only 1 rental agency in Seward, you are at their mercy. Rates could go higher. Book the best rate you can find now & keep checking back for lower rates.

I have never seen, Alaska one way car rentals ever drop. Far more likely is for them to sell out.

You are way late with car rentals. I suggest you reserve what you found with Hertz, then consider a few other options.

I am assuming you are fixed on your flights? And not willing to change? IF you happen to be willing to use Anchorage, then way more options, post if you want this information.

I also, question, where is your "ocean" reference? You might find some savings, if you switch cars in Anchorage. There are more companies that allow one way Anchorage/Fairbanks, in the past, Avis, Hertz and Thrifty all did one ways. The Alaska RR is an excellent option for Anchorage/Seward, but have no clue where your "ocean" are could be?

IF you are going to Homer, then you'll need a one way Anchorage/Seward with Hertz. Reserve that NOW, no matter what the cost. These just about always sell out. Then cancel, if you change your plans.

I do not recommend you even consider a round trip Anchorage car, like suggested above, if you are in Homer. You are already short on time with these vast distances you are doing. In that specific case, pay the cost, and move forward. It makes the best use of your time, and is not the place to skimp. You need to give a value to your time, which in this specific case, is far more important than the money.

Archived