Carnival stock...does it work like this?

So, I know if you own 100 shares of carnival stock, you get OBC. This is probably a dumb question, but could I have the company who contrrols my 401k purchase 100 shares of Carnival stock? Would that get me the OBC, or doesn't it work that way?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Can someone explain to me how this work. Ok so I buy 100 shares of stock that go into my 401 plan. How much OBC do you get??? Is it per cruise, per year, per what??? When you book you say" Hay I have shares !!" Ok so I'm a bit slow. Please can you explain in unintelligent terms. Just dummy it down for me.

Thanks

OP, yes, as far as Carnival is concerned if you can show beneficial ownership then they are satisfied. However, as sort of a spoil sport, my financial adviser tells me that if you receive any benefit from stock held in a tax advantaged account (401k, IRA etc) then the IRS can come after you and cause you lots of pain. In the real world, I wouldn't expect it to happen, but just a warning. I moved my Carnival stock to a cash account. I don't really trust the IRS.

Can someone explain to me how this work. Ok so I buy 100 shares of stock that go into my 401 plan. How much OBC do you get??? Is it per cruise, per year, per what??? When you book you say" Hay I have shares !!" Ok so I'm a bit slow. Please can you explain in unintelligent terms. Just dummy it down for me.

Thanks

The obc depends on how long the cruise is here is the break down:

• $ 50 on board credit per stateroom ($25pp) on any cruise of 6 days or less
  • $100 on board credit per stateroom ($50pp) on any cruise of 7 - 13 days
  • $250 on board credit per stateroom ($125pp) on any cruise of 14 days or longer

You need to send the proof of ownership be sent into Carnival before you cruise. We've sent in a current statement from our e*trade account.

I bought 100 shares on a Monday, faxed the information to Carnival on Tuesday, had the OBC on Thursday, and sold the stock on Friday. Overall had a small gain plus the OBC.

Did the OBC show up on your cruise documents. I received a confirmation e-mail that my account was credited, but 10 days later; no OBC. Thanks!

Edited by oscar1966

Did the OBC show up on your cruise documents. I received a confirmation e-mail that my account was credited, but 10 days later; no OBC. Thanks!

That's why I always bring proof of their conformation with me on the cruise. Only needed it once...As far as the IRS chasing you down because you got a $50 or $100 OBC, The IRS has bigger fish to fry than looking for OBC from IRA's.

A couple extra points:

- before you fax your stock statement to Carnival, white out the account #, all the other stocks on it and their amounts, total balance, etc. Be sure your name, adress, stmt date, and all Carnival info is there.

- Use a recent stock stmt

- You also get OBC on every line Carnival owns (Princess, HAL, ...), although the OBC amounts vary by line.

- your fax needs to include your booking#, ship, sailing date

- Here's the CCL webpage with the details http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Edited by D4

Yes, you receive the OBC on every cruise that you submit a statement for. This is especially valuable if you cruise multiple times per year. This is a great tax free benefit and you still receive the dividend too.

A couple extra points:

- before you fax your stock statement to Carnival, white out the account #, all the other stocks on it and their amounts, total balance, etc. Be sure your name, adress, stmt date, and all Carnival info is there.

- Use a recent stock stmt

- You also get OBC on every line Carnival owns (Princess, HAL, ...), although the OBC amounts vary by line.

- your fax needs to include your booking#, ship, sailing date

- Here's the CCL webpage with the details http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

emailing it still works and I put in the email to please confirm by email and they always do.

I bought 100 shares on a Monday, faxed the information to Carnival on Tuesday, had the OBC on Thursday, and sold the stock on Friday. Overall had a small gain plus the OBC.

So you don't actually have to own the stock on the day of the cruise?

Ive had the OBC fall off and had to send a new confirmation with the latest month end report to get it reapplied.

But they are not going to have you send it again before you cruise to prove it a 2nd time.

I would wait to buy until after earnings on tuesday to see how the stock reacts to missed earnings forecast. With 3 warnings now, each time lower, we know it will be low.. but you never know if everyone saw the warnings or how they will react.

The obc depends on how long the cruise is here is the break down:

• $ 50 on board credit per stateroom ($25pp) on any cruise of 6 days or less
  • $100 on board credit per stateroom ($50pp) on any cruise of 7 - 13 days
  • $250 on board credit per stateroom ($125pp) on any cruise of 14 days or longer

You need to send the proof of ownership be sent into Carnival before you cruise. We've sent in a current statement from our e*trade account.

I am the stockholder and the entire OBC is credited to me. My SO does not get any of it. Just correcting your $00pp.

No, you don't. You just have to own it when you apply for the OBC.

We sold ours before our last cruise, after receiving the OBC. I mentioned it here on CC and got totally flamed for not being a "current" stockholder (and I had held it for much longer than a few days!). I checked and double-checked with Carnival and they assured me it was fine.

Meanwhile, we bought it again and are cruising again. =)

I forget the answer to this one. Do you need to wait till after final payment to get your stock credited? it's been a while since we sailed Carnival and I forget.

Also, don't forget that this stock credit also works for Princess and Holland America. We went on Princess last year and I forgot to submit my stock certificate. :eek: Left $100 on the table that cruise. Not going to let that happen again.

So at today's rate, one has to buy over $3300 in stock to get $100 OBC. :rolleyes:

Most people buy and hold the stock, and claim the OBC over and over every time they cruise. Carnival stock has historically also paid a nice dividend. I've held my Carnival stock for years and have used the OBC many times. For me, it's a buy and hold stock if you're serious about cruising.

As far as buying it within your 401K account, your 401K plan would have to allow you to purchase individual stocks. Some 401K plans only allow you to buy mutual funds.

Here is a link to the Carnival Corporation web page that has details. You can claim the OBC on any of Carnival's brands, such as Princess, Holland America, Cunard, Costa, etc.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Carnival stock has been trading roughly between $30 and $40 a share for years.

Edited by winddawn

How much is it to buy 100 shares of carnivals stock?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Carnival stock closed at $33.43 on Friday, so 100 shares at that price would cost $3,343 plus the cost to buy the stock. If you use an online discount broker such as Scottrade, they charge $7 to buy one stock. So roughly $3,350 total.

Also, factor in that Carnival currently pays $25 in dividends four times a year on the required 100 shares. So if you buy it and hold one year and sail twice on two one week cruises, your rate of return is in the neighborhood of 9%.