Constellation - Transatlantic - Sept, 9, 2006

CelebrityMan

Thanks for the welcome! No worries about being the only fabulous ones Destcrz - the Pied Piper group is around 40, and if previous groups are in any indication there will be quite a variety. On the Millenium Med cruise last summer there was everything from a 28 year old real estate mogul with a wardrobe to die for to a couple from Boca who have been together for 50 years. We also had (what are the odds?) not one but two gay funeral directors! Very Six Feet Under.

Celebrity Man, I have almost posted many times on the roll call page, but I check the boards infrequently and I am never in time to answer the trivia questions...and I have known many of the answers! We are flying in the day we embark - risky, I know, but we have time constraints - so we can't join any of the pre parties, and we have a, ummm, private ritual for sail away. (What did people do before balcony cabins?) I think some of your group will be our neighbors - we are on deck 9.

Anyway, it is getting close and we are ready! Hope to meet y'all on board!

Hi Guys,

Glad to see you here again!

"Almost posted?" Be more quick on the trigger! Hehehehehe :rolleyes:

We all understand your need to abide by time contraints..., jus' hope you can sleep while flying.

A 28-yr. old real estate mogul from Boca? I think we sailed with him on Infinity from Ft. Lauderdale to San Fran!! LOL In fact we were neighbors on deck 9, aft.

I am surprised that the Pied Piper group is only about 40 folk. I had heard from their coordinator that they originally had 100 staterooms blocked out. That would account for why some staterooms have 'suddenly' become available in the last few days....

If you know any of the other Pied members, get them to sign on at Cruise Critic and sign up for the Celebrity Connections gathering. We'd love to increase our numbers.

As for your exclusivity at sailaway..., fine, be that way!!! Just remember, if your stateroom is too far aft on Deck 9, our Celebrity Connections group will be gathering at the open-air after Bar, and many of us ex-teachers can hear a pin drop a football field away!! Bwahahaha!

See you soon!

CM

It's great to know that there will be some more "guys" on this cruise; this board was a very lonely place for a long time. Don and I welcome you all. We hope you all have signed up for the Celebrity Connections gathering.;)

Rex523 we are also on deck 9, maybe we are neighbors and since we also are flying in the day of departure, a private ritual sail away party would be really nice but I am almost positive the only partying we will be doing that day will be in our dreams. :eek:

Looking forward to meeting you all aboard.:cool:

Finally! We have life on this thread!!!

Hi Larry - don't think we have exchanged pleasentries before! We are Bob and Mike from Charleston, West Virginia.

If I read and understood Rex's comment about his sailaway ritual - I got a feeling it has something to do with initiating their balcony and only the two of them are involved!!!!

40 guys with PP - that should be interesting!

Mike

Hi Guys,

Having been in a couple of staterooms on Deck 9 we've enjoyed the Concierge Class life.

"Initiating" a balcony...? Hmmmm? Can't say I'd be bold enough to do anything risque on one of them. Hehehehehehe. That overhang provides lots of marvelous shade..., but not THAT much privacy! LOL LOL And as for those glass panels between staterooms.... Ptttttppppffffft... :o :eek:

But, boys will be boys, and I must admit to having at least been naked on my veranda on every cruise we've done.

Very glad to see life on this thread, too. This is shaping up to be an especially great sailing for MEN!

See you guys real soon!

Cal

Every time someone mentions funeral director on a cruise reminds of a couple of guys we met from California . . . . one guy gave us his card and it said CUSTOM BODY WORK . . . .we thought he was possibly a plastic surgeon . . . I think he was from LA . . . .turned out he was a funeral director!

Still on that subject - I was at a Marriott in Salt Lake City, of all places, for work - and there was a HUGE convention of funeral directors - had the hotel and the convention center all tied up for a few days - talk about your party animals!!!

I bet the Martini Bar will be buzzing on this cruise. We have friends that did the Eastbound TA on Constellation - I had to keep tabs on their board pre-cruise - lots of talk of martinis and tiaras - and that was on the str8 roll call thread!!!!

Our only other cruise on Celebrity was on Summit - San Diego/Ft. Lauderdale - we were looking forward to spending time in Michael's Club - only went there twice - the service wasn't good. Martini bar got VERY crowded at times - but that can be fun also. On the last night we went up to the bar in Revelations - just because the Martini Bar was so crowded - found a great Cuban bartender that made great mojitos - wish we had found it earlier in the cruise!

Any of you guys know anything about this Bar from the Edge of the Universe or whatever it is called? The Cirque Du Soleil inspired place - I've heard it described as everything from scary to tired to a bordello . . . . also heard it ruined the room as being a viewing spot for sunrises/sunsets from inside!

We leave 5 weeks from tomorrow - I'm ready!!!!

Mike

Mike, saw your post as the last on the list, so thought I'd drop in to say hi...especially because my partner is a ....gay funeral director...and we've met others...in fact, years ago, I dated others...is there something about this profession???:eek:

Ed and I did this same Constallation TA cruise in '04 and had a wonderful time...seems to me there were almost 100 gay men on board, and there were many impromtu cocktail parties...one time, the boys even took over the teen room (no kids on board in September! Yea! :cool: )....lotsa' fun. There was also the night where everyone agreed to meet in the Disco, and it really did turn into a Gay disco, including Martha Wash singing "It's Raining Men" Ages ranged from mid twenties to 70's and up, with the bulk in their 40's.

You'll have a great time!

Andrew

Hi Guys,

...ok, I admit, I was a funeral director/mortician waaaaay back when I was in college. It was a great job and I'll have to share some funny stories whilst on this sailing. Hehehehe.

As for the "Bar At The Edge Of The Earth" opinions run both directions. This sailing will be our first on a Cirque du Soleil equipped vessel — we've purposefully avoided them the last couple of years.

Given the gamut of opinions expressed about this issue on the main boards, it's fairly obvious that Celebrity really dropped the ball on their implementation of what surely looked (on paper) like a fabulous idea to management. They both underestimated the loyalty and preference for the open Observation Lounge; and the level of interest in the 'other-worldly character' dance/ball held in the redecorated lounge.

I happened to be part of an online advisory forum when this was being considered. At the time I gave my input that the cruise line would be best to focus CDS on the M-class ships which have the theatrical fly space to allow a modified Cirque program. I'm glad to see they've come 'round to doing just that, but sorry they had to go through the anguish of the disco/bar experience before they did so.

I haven't heard anything recently as to how things are going aboard the ships that were CDS modified. I guess we'll find out in a few short weeks.

CM

Hey Andrew - thanks for the note - the cruise we met the FD was on Crystal but NOT the Crystal cruise you and I did together! Too funny!

I am totally enjoying your "truisms" thread - I copied your original post onto our roll call thread - doesn't seem to be much reaction to it there - I think I am kinda out of step with the folks on our roll call thread - I posted a little bit about Keeping up Appearance and Hyacinth - only got one response . . . guess it's my warped sense of reality!!!!

Wish you were on this TA with us. I gotta make it out for one of your Contra County Coffee Clatches . . . . .soon!

Cal - thanks for your input re: CDS and the white party - if it's late at night I seriously doubt we will make it - although with all the PP boys on board it might be fun!!!!

Mike

Mike, please do join us in the W.C.! Can't promise Royal Doulton....trying to get Beav and Garry over for dinner...

Re: CDS, we just "experienced" in on the Connie this Spring, and I was vastly relieved...the "show" is brief, but fun, the singing, some interesting acrobatics, and, of course, some humor...while not the whole shebang, a nice 45 minutes after dinner...they did have to reschedule once because of high seas...

The Bar at the edge is...ugly...but the white party was fun- our whole gang of twelve or so really suspended our disdain, got in the mood, and got masks, and wore white...we had fun. It's really just a dance party with lots of folks, and the added amusement of what people are wearing. We did only stay for 45 minutes or so...we'd had 8 bottles of wine for our table of eight at dinner....but I wouldn't mind it...once. If you're thinking you might try it, bring a mask with you, rather than buy one of the $40. or $80. dollar ones from the gift shop. The best were the hand-crafted ones....

Andrew

Hi:

Last minute additions to the Constellation which looks like an amazing cruise.

My partner Jim and I are going to be going on this cruise. We live in Toronto and have been together for 27 years. We celebrated our 25th (and my move into a second career as a travel agent) on the Transatlantic Brilliance of the Seas in 2004.

I have alot of catching up to do (including reading all the posts..I skipped to the last page) and will sign up for the Cruise Critic get together.

David (and Jim)

Welcome David and Jim too!!!

My partner and I have been together for 27 years also - guess we'll have to have a little contest on board to see who has been together the longest . . .and the shortest (honeymooners?) . . . .we'll have our own "Not so Newlywed" game. . . . difference is - you two are probably legally married - not an option for us . . . yet!!!

There is a HUGE roll call thread for this cruise - check it out - Celebrity Man is HRH over on that board!!!!

We understand there is a Pied Piper group of about 40 guys going to be on this cruise also - so that should add to the festivities, as well!

Stay and in touch - and again, WELCOME!

Mike . . . and Robert!

Hi,

David, glad toWelcome you (and Jim) to our lil' ol' thread!! As Mike pointed out a few posts back..., it was beginning to get rather dry & dusty in here. Hehehehe. ;)

I hope as a TA you were able to secure a faaaaaar better rate than what Celebrity is offering on the web. Youch! Talk about price gouging...

We'll look forward to seeing you on the huge Roll Call thread under the main Constellation board, and to meeting you either pre-cruise or aboard ship! This is shaping up to be a fantastic voyage!! :D

CM

Hi Guys,

...I was born ready! Oh, you mean ready for the cruise!?! :o Hehehehe.

Yes, after yesterday's (Sunday) shopping spree, I think I have everythingn together for packing up the weekend before departure.

Really looking forward to meeting everyone, sharing cruise experiences, shore excursions, etc. I KNOW this is gonna be a fun crossing.

Cal

We love to sail with PP. We will be joined by 10 friends from Michigan on this cruise. We were on this ship for a B2B trip in Feb. We are both retired and we have been together for 30 years. We are looking forward to meeting you all. We are in a CC on the Sky Deck.

See you soon,

Warren and Werner

Hi Warren,

So very glad to see you posting, here! I've had you listed on our main Roll Call thread for some time, but am glad to finally learn your names.

Several of us on this sailing are NOT traveling with PP, so it's apparent that there will be a FINE gay presence on this crossing. I know my partner will especially be looking forward to meeting you and chatting with you since he was born and raised in Michigan, near Battle Creek.

Counting the days....

Cal

Hi guys - and welcome from Charleston, West Virginia!

I have to tell you - I LOVE your screen name - like music to my ears!!! . . . I'm sure we all go thru similar experiences when trying to decide on the "next" cruise - and then finally one of us says "OK, BOOK IT!"

We are part of the group Celebrity Man is referring to as NOT part of the PP group - we are certainly glad there is gay group on board! Looking forward to meeting you guys!

And I'm VERY jealous of the fact that you are retired - that's what I want to be - and soon!

Mike

Well guys - looks like we have quite the group developing now!!! And glad of it!!!! Do you think we need to plan a little get-together - even though I figure the ship will likely do something also - especially with the Pied Piper group on board! . . . first 3 days out are going to be busy for all I'd say - and I'm sure we'll be running into each other.

Mike

Hello again! I have a question that maybe someone here could answer, or if not I may have to post on the roll call thread. (Hello, CelebrityMan!) Has anyone ever shipped luggage to the ship before? It is a 15 day cruise after all...and we are flying in embarkation day. Lost luggage would be a nightmare...

Thanks!

regarding a get together, on the Millenium last summer the Pied Piper happy hour was in the Martini Bar every night. One of the early ones was announced in the daily program as the FOD party. There were probably 10 couples that came, and most of them came every night after that, including two Frenchmen who spoke very little English but were really attractive!

And of course the spa in the late afternoons drew many of the men...

Hi,

...well, given the two subject matters Rex posted on, I can see he's gonna be a fun cruisemate! Hehehehe. Get 'em, guy!

As far as luggage goes, I'm not sure you're all that better off shipping something for same day arrival. While we haven't personally done the shipping routine, we know people who have and it didn't go well. My understanding is the luggage has to be shipped to the cruise line's port agent..., and if they screw up and don't get it to the ship.... EEEEK!! :eek:

One is better off shipping excess items home, or purchased items home.

As to the Martini Bar..., we don't either one do Martinis (unless someone can find me one that doesn't taste like Scope!), but we (I especially) love to socialize. Sounds like a fun time!

See you guys in 3½ weeks.

CM

Morning Rex - I agree with what Cal said - I haven't shipped luggage same day the ship leaves and I would not feel comfortable that it would make it to the ship.

I have shipped stuff to my hotel when we have flown in a few days prior and that worked well. In fact, I am seriously considering doing the same on this trip. We will be in London for 2 days prior to boarding the ship.

We got our docs on Friday - seems like it makes it official when the docs arrive!

Mike

Archived