Athens - Private taxi for part of the day?

tiffnco

So, I was pretty much convinced that we were going to DIY Athens - but the more I read, the less sure I become. I've been reading a lot of the DIY reports and while I feel they are completely doable...my husband HATES getting really hot and then walking a lot. If this were the Amazing Race...we would be that couple that argues all the time (but all our friends tell us it really is quite amusing :rolleyes:). Me...I could care less about walking in the heat...but I'm thinking about possibly hiring a taxi to pick us up at the port, drive us to some of the major sites, and instead of returning us to the ship...having them leave us in town where we can relax, shop, eat, etc.

We have had some dialogue with Athens by Taxi - but a half day tour runs about 150E. Has anyone done something similar and used a different company...or method?

Many thanks in advance for your help! :o

So, I was pretty much convinced that we were going to DIY Athens - but the more I read, the less sure I become. I've been reading a lot of the DIY reports and while I feel they are completely doable...my husband HATES getting really hot and then walking a lot. If this were the Amazing Race...we would be that couple that argues all the time (but all our friends tell us it really is quite amusing :rolleyes:). Me...I could care less about walking in the heat...but I'm thinking about possibly hiring a taxi to pick us up at the port, drive us to some of the major sites, and instead of returning us to the ship...having them leave us in town where we can relax, shop, eat, etc.

We have had some dialogue with Athens by Taxi - but a half day tour runs about 150E. Has anyone done something similar and used a different company...or method?

Many thanks in advance for your help! :o

Honestly, there is not a need to have a half day with a private taxi! Most of the things you'll want to see are right next to each other and once you get to Athens, a driver won't help much.

The Plaka is RIGHT at the foot of the Acropolis. The Acropolis museum is in the same area, just across a pedestrian street from where one of the paths ascends to/descends from the Acropolis. If you want to go to Syntagma square, take the metro RIGHT NEXT TO the Acropolis Museum direct to Syntagma -- no changes and only one stop.

If anything, the best compromise is to grab a taxi as you get off the ship (or get to the terminal) and arrange them to whisk you right to the Acropolis to beat the crowds and heat. That should be about 25 euro max.

Then walk around, enjoy, eat lunch in the Plaka, cool off in the museum, and when it's time to go back you can just take the green metro line (at Monastiraki, in the Plaka) or get another cab to take you back to the ship .... although be forewarned that the taxis picking you up in the Plaka may charge more than 25 euro for the trip.

Maybe check your roll call for others to share the cost of the tour. We ended up sharing with another couple and for an 8 hour day the cost was 200 EUR. Lunch was extra, but we saw so much more than just the Central area. The driver would drop us off, and tell us where to meet him in 1 hr, 2 hr, etc.

Lycabettus Hill (sp?), Governor's House, Changing of the Guard (fascinating to watch these big guys march), Hadrian's Temple, Agora, Olympic Stadium and lunch was at a small family owned restaurant that our driver uses. We had a sumptuous feast for 11 EUR per person (including a pitcher of white wine and a pitcher of red wine). Was an absolutely amazing day for 50 EUR pp.

viator dot com has a half day tour listed for $65.52 pp which is about $60 less than the quote you have gotten. Not sure what all the tour you got your quote for includes, but compare it to

http://www.viator.com/tours/Athens/Athens-Half-Day-Sightseeing-Tour/d496-31401

Have a great cruise!

Maybe check your roll call for others to share the cost of the tour. We ended up sharing with another couple and for an 8 hour day the cost was 200 EUR. Lunch was extra, but we saw so much more than just the Central area. The driver would drop us off, and tell us where to meet him in 1 hr, 2 hr, etc.

Lycabettus Hill (sp?), Governor's House, Changing of the Guard (fascinating to watch these big guys march), Hadrian's Temple, Agora, Olympic Stadium and lunch was at a small family owned restaurant that our driver uses. We had a sumptuous feast for 11 EUR per person (including a pitcher of white wine and a pitcher of red wine). Was an absolutely amazing day for 50 EUR pp.

viator dot com has a half day tour listed for $65.52 pp which is about $60 less than the quote you have gotten. Not sure what all the tour you got your quote for includes, but compare it to

http://www.viator.com/tours/Athens/Athens-Half-Day-Sightseeing-Tour/d496-31401

Have a great cruise!

What company did you use?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just arrived home from our 33day cruise around Mediterranean we used Athens by taxi yes it cost 150 Euro we had 4 people. We were picked up at the port at 7:30 am driven around showing us an over view then to the Acropolis we were there for opening we got see around with out the crowds wonderful. Chris was our driver had us at the changing of the guards where we stood right next to the guards. We thought it seemed expensive but with Chris's knowledge and getting us to places it was well worth the cost We also used Athens by taxi the previous day for a full day trip to Delphi that was wonderful we had a van with 10 people.

Athens by Taxi great company to deal with and the drivers excellent. ;)

Lunch was extra, but we saw so much more than just the Central area. The driver would drop us off, and tell us where to meet him in 1 hr, 2 hr, etc.

Most of the spots you mention are IN the central area:

The Acropolis is on the top of the hill, and surrounding that hill, right at its foot, are the Plaka, the Agoras (Greek and Roman), and the Acropolis Museum.

It is less than 300 meters (4 minutes walking) from the Acropolis Museum (Akropoli Metro stop) to Hadrian's Arch and the Temple of Olympian Zeus. (I think this is what you mean by the "Hadrian's Temple"?)

From here, it's a 10-15 minute walk to the Panathenaic Stadium. (With traffic the way it is in Athens, I doubt you could meet your car and drive the distance in anything less than this amount of time!)

The Changing of the Guard is at Syntagma Square, which as noted above is only one Metro stop from Akropoli station (next to the Acropolis Museum and just at the bottom of the path down from the Acropolis).

True, Lycabettus is a bit out of the way. But it isn't something I'd consider a "must do" for someone who only has a short day to visit the sights of Athens.

If you need a driver due to mobility issues, that's something to consider. But in terms of a driver being able to get you around faster, I have my doubts. Athens traffic is bad, and a good part of the center that I just mentioned is pedestrian only. It may seem like your driver took you farther than he really did because of the need for traffic to take a roundabout way from place to place to avoid pedestrian-only zones. If you're walking, there is generally a much quicker way to get from point to point.

Archived